A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

It's not every day...



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old July 12th 17, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,981
Default It's not every day...

On 12/07/2017 18:38, wrote:
On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 2:06:10 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 11/07/2017 18:14,
wrote:

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 2:32:54 AM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 05/07/2017 16:35,
wrote:
On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 4:25:25 AM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
...you get evidence of the existence of something that was alleged to
have been extinct for 80+ years.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/05/local-roads-government-cash-councils-motorways

QUOTE:
English councils will be given access to a multibillion-pound fund for
local road improvements under plans unveiled by the transport secretary,
Chris Grayling.

It was initially envisaged that the cash, held in the national roads
fund, would be spent on the motorways and major A-roads managed by
Highways England. But Grayling announced a change of tack, saying that
some of it should be diverted to be spent on roads run by local authorities.
ENDQUOTE

The national WHAT?

Someone needs to tell the Guardian PDQ that there is no "national roads
fund" and that it was all abolished long ago.

It was the road fund LICENCE that was replaced with VED.
Obviously national and local governments have a road budget that comes from the general tax pot.
The only reference I can find for national roads fund is in Zambia which I am fairly sure is not in the UK.

No, no... nothing to do with Zambia...

The story mentions the English national roads fund. And as you know (but
cannot bring yourself to admit) a fund is not a budget.

Then you should have no problem pointing to where I can find this 'National Road Fund' defined in some sort of official document.


Wash your mouth out.
The Guardian IS the *only* "official document" accepted by trendies like
yourself,


The last newspaper I remember buying was the first issue of The European back in the early 90's.
Actually that's not true, I used to buy the Sunday Telegraph because of the Nonogram.


That a cyclist doesn't like spending his own money comes as no surprise.
It is a defining characteristic of cyclists; other peoples' money and
efforts are always the ones to use.

shirley?


Not me and those wrestling matches were fake.


But you can imagine my surprise on reading it, because you and others
have been squealing for years that the road fund was abolished back in
the Middle Ages or something.

Where?


Here (of course).


Har! Har! Har! and indeed Har!.
Now cite the relevant post.


Don't be (even more) daft.
Ads
  #22  
Old July 13th 17, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,987
Default It's not every day...

On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 04:25:26 +0100, JNugent wrote:

...you get evidence of the existence of something that was alleged to
have been extinct for 80+ years.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/05/local-roads-government-cash-councils-motorways

QUOTE:
English councils will be given access to a multibillion-pound fund for
local road improvements under plans unveiled by the transport secretary,
Chris Grayling.

It was initially envisaged that the cash, held in the national roads
fund, would be spent on the motorways and major A-roads managed by
Highways England. But Grayling announced a change of tack, saying that
some of it should be diverted to be spent on roads run by local authorities.
ENDQUOTE

The national WHAT?

Someone needs to tell the Guardian PDQ that there is no "national roads
fund" and that it was all abolished long ago.



Perhaps they had wrongly assumed that something promised by the Nasty party had
been put in place. However, there are so many U-turns it is difficult to keep
track of what promises the Nasties have kept - and which they have broken

Two years ago: Chancellor George Osborne pledged to create a new national
roads fund, using Vehicle Excise Duty to pay for the upkeep of strategic
highways in England.

Unless of course there really is something known as the National Roads Fund.

I agree it is difficult to keep up as Nasty promises are being broken every
day.
  #23  
Old July 13th 17, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr Mudd-John
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 489
Default It's not every day...

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 09:39:31 +0100, Judith wrote:

On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 04:25:26 +0100, JNugent wrote:

...you get evidence of the existence of something that was alleged to
have been extinct for 80+ years.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/05/local-roads-government-cash-councils-motorways

QUOTE:
English councils will be given access to a multibillion-pound fund for
local road improvements under plans unveiled by the transport secretary,
Chris Grayling.

It was initially envisaged that the cash, held in the national roads
fund, would be spent on the motorways and major A-roads managed by
Highways England. But Grayling announced a change of tack, saying that
some of it should be diverted to be spent on roads run by local authorities.
ENDQUOTE

The national WHAT?

Someone needs to tell the Guardian PDQ that there is no "national roads
fund" and that it was all abolished long ago.



Perhaps they had wrongly assumed that something promised by the Nasty party had
been put in place. However, there are so many U-turns it is difficult to keep
track of what promises the Nasties have kept - and which they have broken

Two years ago: Chancellor George Osborne pledged to create a new national
roads fund, using Vehicle Excise Duty to pay for the upkeep of strategic
highways in England.

Unless of course there really is something known as the National Roads Fund.

I agree it is difficult to keep up as Nasty promises are being broken every
day.


Are you assuming that most cyclists vote Tory? Extraordinary.


--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug
  #24  
Old July 13th 17, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 376
Default It's not every day...

On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 11:54:36 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 12/07/2017 18:38, wrote:
On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 2:06:10 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 11/07/2017 18:14,
wrote:

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 2:32:54 AM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 05/07/2017 16:35,
wrote:
On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 4:25:25 AM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
...you get evidence of the existence of something that was alleged to
have been extinct for 80+ years.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/05/local-roads-government-cash-councils-motorways

QUOTE:
English councils will be given access to a multibillion-pound fund for
local road improvements under plans unveiled by the transport secretary,
Chris Grayling.

It was initially envisaged that the cash, held in the national roads
fund, would be spent on the motorways and major A-roads managed by
Highways England. But Grayling announced a change of tack, saying that
some of it should be diverted to be spent on roads run by local authorities.
ENDQUOTE

The national WHAT?

Someone needs to tell the Guardian PDQ that there is no "national roads
fund" and that it was all abolished long ago.

It was the road fund LICENCE that was replaced with VED.
Obviously national and local governments have a road budget that comes from the general tax pot.
The only reference I can find for national roads fund is in Zambia which I am fairly sure is not in the UK.

No, no... nothing to do with Zambia...

The story mentions the English national roads fund. And as you know (but
cannot bring yourself to admit) a fund is not a budget.

Then you should have no problem pointing to where I can find this 'National Road Fund' defined in some sort of official document.

Wash your mouth out.
The Guardian IS the *only* "official document" accepted by trendies like
yourself,


The last newspaper I remember buying was the first issue of The European back in the early 90's.
Actually that's not true, I used to buy the Sunday Telegraph because of the Nonogram.


That a cyclist doesn't like spending his own money comes as no surprise.


I assume you buy every newspaper in the world every day.
I am not interested in the news especially when the editor slants it to cater to the prejudices of the 'readers.'

It is a defining characteristic of cyclists; other peoples' money and
efforts are always the ones to use.


Oh the hypocrisy.
How much of the £10 billion spend of motorways is covered by the £6 billion collected in VED?


shirley?


Not me and those wrestling matches were fake.


But you can imagine my surprise on reading it, because you and others
have been squealing for years that the road fund was abolished back in
the Middle Ages or something.

Where?

Here (of course).


Har! Har! Har! and indeed Har!.
Now cite the relevant post.


Don't be (even more) daft.


Asking someone to supply evidence to support their claim is daft in Nugent World?


  #25  
Old July 13th 17, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,832
Default It's not every day...

wrote:
On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 11:54:36 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 12/07/2017 18:38,
wrote:
On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 2:06:10 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 11/07/2017 18:14,
wrote:

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 2:32:54 AM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 05/07/2017 16:35,
wrote:
On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 4:25:25 AM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
...you get evidence of the existence of something that was
alleged to
have been extinct for 80+ years.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/05/local-roads-government-cash-councils-motorways

QUOTE:
English councils will be given access to a multibillion-pound
fund for local road improvements under plans unveiled by the
transport secretary, Chris Grayling.

It was initially envisaged that the cash, held in the national
roads
fund, would be spent on the motorways and major A-roads
managed by
Highways England. But Grayling announced a change of tack,
saying that
some of it should be diverted to be spent on roads run by
local authorities. ENDQUOTE

The national WHAT?

Someone needs to tell the Guardian PDQ that there is no
"national roads fund" and that it was all abolished long ago.

It was the road fund LICENCE that was replaced with VED.
Obviously national and local governments have a road budget
that comes from the general tax pot.
The only reference I can find for national roads fund is in
Zambia which I am fairly sure is not in the UK.

No, no... nothing to do with Zambia...

The story mentions the English national roads fund. And as you
know (but cannot bring yourself to admit) a fund is not a budget.

Then you should have no problem pointing to where I can find this
'National Road Fund' defined in some sort of official document.

Wash your mouth out.
The Guardian IS the *only* "official document" accepted by
trendies like yourself,

The last newspaper I remember buying was the first issue of The
European back in the early 90's. Actually that's not true, I used
to buy the Sunday Telegraph because of the Nonogram.


That a cyclist doesn't like spending his own money comes as no
surprise.


I assume you buy every newspaper in the world every day.
I am not interested in the news especially when the editor slants it
to cater to the prejudices of the 'readers.'

It is a defining characteristic of cyclists; other peoples' money and
efforts are always the ones to use.


Oh the hypocrisy.
How much of the 10 billion spend of motorways is covered by the 6
billion collected in VED?


shirley?


Not me and those wrestling matches were fake.


But you can imagine my surprise on reading it, because you and
others have been squealing for years that the road fund was
abolished back in the Middle Ages or something.

Where?

Here (of course).

Har! Har! Har! and indeed Har!.
Now cite the relevant post.


Don't be (even more) daft.


Asking someone to supply evidence to support their claim is daft in
Nugent World?


You just got shat on, again.
As always.


  #26  
Old July 13th 17, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 376
Default It's not every day...

On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 2:07:59 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 11/07/2017 17:14, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 2:41:20 AM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 10/07/2017 22:23, TMS320 wrote:
On 10/07/17 17:27, JNugent wrote:
On 10/07/2017 08:21, TMS320 wrote:
On 10/07/17 02:32, JNugent wrote:
On 05/07/2017 16:35,
wrote:
On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 4:25:25 AM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
...you get evidence of the existence of something that was alleged to
have been extinct for 80+ years.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/05/local-roads-government-cash-councils-motorways


QUOTE:
English councils will be given access to a multibillion-pound fund
for
local road improvements under plans unveiled by the transport
secretary,
Chris Grayling.

It was initially envisaged that the cash, held in the national roads
fund, would be spent on the motorways and major A-roads managed by
Highways England. But Grayling announced a change of tack, saying
that
some of it should be diverted to be spent on roads run by local
authorities.
ENDQUOTE

The national WHAT?

Someone needs to tell the Guardian PDQ that there is no "national
roads
fund" and that it was all abolished long ago.

It was the road fund LICENCE that was replaced with VED.
Obviously national and local governments have a road budget that
comes from the general tax pot.
The only reference I can find for national roads fund is in Zambia
which I am fairly sure is not in the UK.

No, no... nothing to do with Zambia...

The story mentions the English national roads fund. And as you know
(but cannot bring yourself to admit) and fund is not a budget.

But you can imagine my surprise on reading it, because you and
others have been squealing for years that the road fund was
abolished back in the Middle Ages or something.

It was abolished. This is a different one promised by George Osborne
two years ago.

http://www.ciht.org.uk/en/wra/news/i...nal-roads-fund


"Unveiling his Budget this lunchtime Mr Osborne said that every penny
raised through the duty would, by the end of the decade, be used to
improve the highways network."

Doesn't that demolish (once and for all) the futile attacks on Road
Tax as a concept?

Not really. The fund (if it comes about) will go to roads yet to be
built, not existing ones.

Where does it say that?

Despite the announcement that has just been made, I am not aware of any
new A-routes or motorways planned. Are you?
...end of decade, hmmm.

Thirty months away.

One hundred and twenty nine weeks.

Plenty of time for a new regime to change its mind.

It'll take that long to spend the money aleady committed.

What the UK needs, though (and you hint at it above), is a couple of new
long-disctance motorways which steer clear of existing urban areas, have
only a limited number of interchanges and do not, in practice, cater for
journeys of much less than a hundred miles.


So long as it's not built in your back yard?


Au contraire.

I want one of the (few) junctions to be within a few miles of this very
spot.


How close to your property line would be acceptable to you?

  #27  
Old July 14th 17, 01:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,981
Default It's not every day...

On 13/07/2017 19:02, wrote:
On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 11:54:36 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 12/07/2017 18:38,
wrote:
On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 2:06:10 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 11/07/2017 18:14,
wrote:

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 2:32:54 AM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 05/07/2017 16:35,
wrote:
On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 4:25:25 AM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
...you get evidence of the existence of something that was alleged to
have been extinct for 80+ years.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/05/local-roads-government-cash-councils-motorways

QUOTE:
English councils will be given access to a multibillion-pound fund for
local road improvements under plans unveiled by the transport secretary,
Chris Grayling.

It was initially envisaged that the cash, held in the national roads
fund, would be spent on the motorways and major A-roads managed by
Highways England. But Grayling announced a change of tack, saying that
some of it should be diverted to be spent on roads run by local authorities.
ENDQUOTE

The national WHAT?

Someone needs to tell the Guardian PDQ that there is no "national roads
fund" and that it was all abolished long ago.

It was the road fund LICENCE that was replaced with VED.
Obviously national and local governments have a road budget that comes from the general tax pot.
The only reference I can find for national roads fund is in Zambia which I am fairly sure is not in the UK.

No, no... nothing to do with Zambia...

The story mentions the English national roads fund. And as you know (but
cannot bring yourself to admit) a fund is not a budget.

Then you should have no problem pointing to where I can find this 'National Road Fund' defined in some sort of official document.

Wash your mouth out.
The Guardian IS the *only* "official document" accepted by trendies like
yourself,

The last newspaper I remember buying was the first issue of The European back in the early 90's.
Actually that's not true, I used to buy the Sunday Telegraph because of the Nonogram.


That a cyclist doesn't like spending his own money comes as no surprise.


I assume you buy every newspaper in the world every day.


Not at all. But I have bought the odd one between the early 1990s and
today. And always with my on money.

I am not interested in the news especially when the editor slants it to cater to the prejudices of the 'readers.'

It is a defining characteristic of cyclists; other peoples' money and
efforts are always the ones to use.


Oh the hypocrisy.
How much of the £10 billion spend of motorways is covered by the £6 billion collected in VED?


It doesn't matter and no-one sensible has ever said it does.

Road users are well in credit with the Exchequer as a result of the
billions of pounds paid in other taxes paid in connection with road use.


shirley?


Not me and those wrestling matches were fake.


But you can imagine my surprise on reading it, because you and others
have been squealing for years that the road fund was abolished back in
the Middle Ages or something.

Where?

Here (of course).

Har! Har! Har! and indeed Har!.
Now cite the relevant post.


Don't be (even more) daft.


Asking someone to supply evidence to support their claim is daft in Nugent World?


Are you seriously claiming never to have seen a post in which it was
asserted that the road fund was abolished a long, long, time ago?

  #28  
Old July 14th 17, 01:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,981
Default It's not every day...

On 13/07/2017 22:11, wrote:
On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 2:07:59 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 11/07/2017 17:14,
wrote:
On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 2:41:20 AM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 10/07/2017 22:23, TMS320 wrote:
On 10/07/17 17:27, JNugent wrote:
On 10/07/2017 08:21, TMS320 wrote:
On 10/07/17 02:32, JNugent wrote:
On 05/07/2017 16:35,
wrote:
On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 4:25:25 AM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
...you get evidence of the existence of something that was alleged to
have been extinct for 80+ years.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/05/local-roads-government-cash-councils-motorways


QUOTE:
English councils will be given access to a multibillion-pound fund
for
local road improvements under plans unveiled by the transport
secretary,
Chris Grayling.

It was initially envisaged that the cash, held in the national roads
fund, would be spent on the motorways and major A-roads managed by
Highways England. But Grayling announced a change of tack, saying
that
some of it should be diverted to be spent on roads run by local
authorities.
ENDQUOTE

The national WHAT?

Someone needs to tell the Guardian PDQ that there is no "national
roads
fund" and that it was all abolished long ago.

It was the road fund LICENCE that was replaced with VED.
Obviously national and local governments have a road budget that
comes from the general tax pot.
The only reference I can find for national roads fund is in Zambia
which I am fairly sure is not in the UK.

No, no... nothing to do with Zambia...

The story mentions the English national roads fund. And as you know
(but cannot bring yourself to admit) and fund is not a budget.

But you can imagine my surprise on reading it, because you and
others have been squealing for years that the road fund was
abolished back in the Middle Ages or something.

It was abolished. This is a different one promised by George Osborne
two years ago.

http://www.ciht.org.uk/en/wra/news/i...nal-roads-fund


"Unveiling his Budget this lunchtime Mr Osborne said that every penny
raised through the duty would, by the end of the decade, be used to
improve the highways network."

Doesn't that demolish (once and for all) the futile attacks on Road
Tax as a concept?

Not really. The fund (if it comes about) will go to roads yet to be
built, not existing ones.

Where does it say that?

Despite the announcement that has just been made, I am not aware of any
new A-routes or motorways planned. Are you?
...end of decade, hmmm.

Thirty months away.

One hundred and twenty nine weeks.

Plenty of time for a new regime to change its mind.

It'll take that long to spend the money aleady committed.

What the UK needs, though (and you hint at it above), is a couple of new
long-disctance motorways which steer clear of existing urban areas, have
only a limited number of interchanges and do not, in practice, cater for
journeys of much less than a hundred miles.

So long as it's not built in your back yard?


Au contraire.

I want one of the (few) junctions to be within a few miles of this very
spot.


How close to your property line would be acceptable to you?


The closer, the better, so a few miles is ideal. But take my word for
it: motorways are built to bypass towns and villages, not to run through
the centres of them.
  #29  
Old July 14th 17, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,086
Default It's not every day...

On 14/07/2017 01:53, JNugent wrote:
On 13/07/2017 19:02, wrote:
On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 11:54:36 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 12/07/2017 18:38,
wrote:
On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 2:06:10 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 11/07/2017 18:14,
wrote:

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 2:32:54 AM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 05/07/2017 16:35,
wrote:
On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 4:25:25 AM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
...you get evidence of the existence of something that was
alleged to
have been extinct for 80+ years.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/05/local-roads-government-cash-councils-motorways


QUOTE:
English councils will be given access to a multibillion-pound
fund for
local road improvements under plans unveiled by the transport
secretary,
Chris Grayling.

It was initially envisaged that the cash, held in the national
roads
fund, would be spent on the motorways and major A-roads managed by
Highways England. But Grayling announced a change of tack,
saying that
some of it should be diverted to be spent on roads run by local
authorities.
ENDQUOTE

The national WHAT?

Someone needs to tell the Guardian PDQ that there is no
"national roads
fund" and that it was all abolished long ago.

It was the road fund LICENCE that was replaced with VED.
Obviously national and local governments have a road budget that
comes from the general tax pot.
The only reference I can find for national roads fund is in
Zambia which I am fairly sure is not in the UK.

No, no... nothing to do with Zambia...

The story mentions the English national roads fund. And as you
know (but
cannot bring yourself to admit) a fund is not a budget.

Then you should have no problem pointing to where I can find this
'National Road Fund' defined in some sort of official document.

Wash your mouth out.
The Guardian IS the *only* "official document" accepted by trendies
like
yourself,

The last newspaper I remember buying was the first issue of The
European back in the early 90's.
Actually that's not true, I used to buy the Sunday Telegraph because
of the Nonogram.

That a cyclist doesn't like spending his own money comes as no surprise.


I assume you buy every newspaper in the world every day.


Not at all. But I have bought the odd one between the early 1990s and
today. And always with my on money.

I am not interested in the news especially when the editor slants it
to cater to the prejudices of the 'readers.'

It is a defining characteristic of cyclists; other peoples' money and
efforts are always the ones to use.


Oh the hypocrisy.
How much of the £10 billion spend of motorways is covered by the £6
billion collected in VED?


It doesn't matter and no-one sensible has ever said it does.

Road users are well in credit with the Exchequer as a result of the
billions of pounds paid in other taxes paid in connection with road use.


shirley?

Not me and those wrestling matches were fake.

But you can imagine my surprise on reading it, because you and
others
have been squealing for years that the road fund was abolished
back in
the Middle Ages or something.

Where?

Here (of course).

Har! Har! Har! and indeed Har!.
Now cite the relevant post.

Don't be (even more) daft.


Asking someone to supply evidence to support their claim is daft in
Nugent World?


Are you seriously claiming never to have seen a post in which it was
asserted that the road fund was abolished a long, long, time ago?


Reading the average paper will bring it up in the comments section, from
some slavering psycholist.
  #30  
Old July 14th 17, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr Mudd-John
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 489
Default It's not every day...

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 19:11:16 +0100, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

[]


You just got shat on, again.
As always.


You quoted all that just to add abuse. Sad.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.