700c tires duration?

Old May 17th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ablang

Default 700c tires duration?

If I use these tires purely on asphalt & concrete, how many miles can
I expect these tires to last?

What do you guys get on your tires (of any size)?
Old May 17th 08, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On May 17, 3:26 pm, Ablang wrote:
If I use these tires purely on asphalt & concrete, how many miles can
I expect these tires to last?

What do you guys get on your tires (of any size)?

Nokian studs + dim sum parlor + mad skillz

hopefully the pork buns!
Old May 18th 08, 02:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Will

On May 17, 3:26 pm, Ablang wrote:
If I use these tires purely on asphalt & concrete, how many miles can
I expect these tires to last?

What do you guys get on your tires (of any size)?

Depends on whether you brake hard, what you weigh, whether the frame
is true, whether the wheels are true, whether the pavement is hot,
what pressure you run at. There are a lot of variables. I've got 4,500
miles on a pair of slicks. They're a bit thin, they have a few small
glass punctures. I figure they're good for another 1,500 or so. My
son, who weighs 25 pounds less, gets about 2,000 miles on a heavier
touring tire. But he brakes hard, doesn't keep his wheels in good
condition, could care less whether the pressure is low, dumps the bike
at least twice a year, etc...
Old May 18th 08, 10:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
landotter writes:
On May 17, 3:26 pm, Ablang wrote:
If I use these tires purely on asphalt & concrete, how many miles can
I expect these tires to last?

What do you guys get on your tires (of any size)?

Nokian studs + dim sum parlor + mad skillz

hopefully the pork buns!

A coupla Eddie Bond tunes will always getcha through.
And a Halifax donair. Beware how the sauce settles
to the bottom of the donair. Eat it while standing
outside. Maybe spread your feet apart if you don't
want it on your shoes.

And avoiding riding by where construction sites
throw their garbage out.

Construction sites kill tires something fierce.
Especially when they're installing flashing.

Yeah, dim sum is much more civilized. But a good
donair tastes so durn good. Eight more stamps on
my Pita House card and I get a free donair or falafels
or a 6" sub. I figure a 6" sub ain't a sub at all;
it's just a hoagy.

In my urban experience, tires last for as long as they
don't get gashed by broken beer bottle shards.
Or construction site flashing trimmings.

I don't think I've ever just worn a tire out.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old May 19th 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
catzz66[_2_]

Ablang wrote:
If I use these tires purely on asphalt & concrete, how many miles can
I expect these tires to last?

What do you guys get on your tires (of any size)?

I think most people just go till they start getting flats with more
frequency than "normal," whatever that happens to be. Tires are pretty
cheap, even if you don't buy the lowest priced ones. There's nothing at
all wrong with being frugal, but you don't have to ride your tires till
the threads show through.
Old May 19th 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DennisTheBald

Which tires are you talking about the ones that get an A for traction
tend to wear quicker than the ones that get a A for tread wear...
these two aspects of a single tire seem to be diametrically opposed
and a single tire, well... that's why they have different ratings. Oh
wait, that's car tires - manufactures of bike tires generally don't
bother to publish those ratings - never mind.

....But still YMMV.
Old May 19th 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DennisTheBald

I don't think I've ever just worn a tire out.

You've got to be kidding, I've NEVER gotten more than about 12kmi
outta one. Cheap ones usually don't go past 2 or 3kmi before the cords
poke through

Old May 19th 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Ablang wrote:
If I use these tires purely on asphalt & concrete, how many miles can
I expect these tires to last?

What do you guys get on your tires (of any size)?

It depends on the tires, I have Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires with more
than 10,000 miles on them (7000 up front, then rotated to the back). I
actually didn't *finish* them, I just rotated the worn tire off to a new
bike that doesn't get ridden much.

In contrast, I've had some terrible tires that I pitched after less than
a thousand miles as I tired of changing flats a couple times a week.

--
Dane Buson -
"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
Old May 20th 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
DennisTheBald writes:
I don't think I've ever just worn a tire out.

You've got to be kidding, I've NEVER gotten more than about 12kmi
outta one. Cheap ones usually don't go past 2 or 3kmi before the cords
poke through

No, I'm not kidding. My tires seem to always
eventually die unnatural deaths. It's tear,
more than wear, that gits 'em.

I generally get about 8000-10,000 km out of my
cheap-o, hard-ass Cheng Shin slicks (which, BTW,
haven't been so cheap lately) before they suffer
an irrepairable gash, while still having a lot of
otherwise good tread on 'em.

I've booted some of them and squeezed a little more
life out of them, but there's something about riding
on booted tires that nags at ya until you replace 'em.

And you can feel the lumpiness of the boot.
The Princess and the Pea, 'n all that.

cheers,
Tom

Old May 20th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On May 19, 10:15*am, catzz66 wrote:
Ablang wrote:
If I use these tires purely on asphalt & concrete, how many miles can
I expect these tires to last?

What do you guys get on your tires (of any size)?

I think most people just go till they start getting flats with more
frequency than "normal," whatever that happens to be. *Tires are pretty
cheap, even if you don't buy the lowest priced ones. *There's nothing at
all wrong with being frugal, but you don't have to ride your tires till
the threads show through.

I usually go for the "more flats than usual" as well; except one time,
when I was looking for where the offending whatever was, I noticed I
was down to threads there. And a couple other places. I thought it
was pretty cool that I managed to wear a tire out, just like Jobst and
Grant would...

Pat