Shooting range to fire from bicycle?

Old July 9th 08, 01:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Shooting range to fire from bicycle?

I apologize if this sounds troll-ish, which it probably will, but it's
really just curiosity combined with the desire to shut up some fellow
friends. I know some fellow (packing) riders who claim that if a car
ever tried to run them over maliciously (not as big a stretch as you'd
hope) they'd "shoot the driver dead" while riding. Not stop-and-
shoot, which has been clarified, but one-handed firing of the gun
while still riding. To me, this is ludicrous. I have plenty of range
time, including tactical (where the shooter is constantly moving,
covering, rolling etc.) and find it's extremely difficult to be
accurate shooting while on the move. I think these guys watched too
many ghetto-gangsta movies where people hold guns sideways and shoot
out windows of moving cars. I think I'd have trouble hitting a car at
100 yards while riding in a panic situation, much less the driver. A
couple guys I know fail to see that, and cite their accuracy at the
range, while standing in a booth (sidenote: even in this situation
I'm a better shot than most of them). Shooting from the weaver stance
in a booth is a lot different than shooting while running, or coming
up from a roll. I'd like to arrange some sort of game to test my
position against that of our friends. The first thing that comes to
mind is pellet guns or paintball guns in the woods, but the argument
is begging to be made: "Off-road is totally different, the bike
bounces around way too much. I meant from the pavement!). Shooting
anything from the street, even bb or paintball guns, is a problem.
Anyone have any ideas where we may find a suitable area to fire from
the bikes while riding on pavement? Local (I'm in New England) or
general apply-anywhere ideas welcome. Note: I'm not talking about
firing the .357 while riding, which is their concept. I'm trying to
prove my point using something more low-key and safe such as pellet or
paintball guns.

Other common-sense arguments (i.e. when you miss you could hit an
innocent bystander, a house, etc) are always met with nonsense (i.e.
I'd only do it when there's nothing around but woods).

Comments welcome.
Old July 9th 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Guy Anderson, Sr.

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 05:52:08 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I apologize if this sounds troll-ish........
...............SNIPS..............
Comments welcome.

Here's a partially rhetorical question: is it not illegal to
discharge a firearm--for any reason--on a public roadway? (Maybe the
law varies from place to place....)
Old July 9th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
di

wrote in message
[...]

I have a concealed weapons license. The law my State is very clear and that
is if they are running away from you, you had better not shoot because
they are no longer a threat to you. You can only use the weapon when you
are in immediate danger, and cannot use it as a threat. So if you draw it
you had better shoot to kill from the front.

I carry a .38 pistol in my handle bar bag when riding in certain areas. Only
once have I had any thought of going for it, but didn't.

Old July 9th 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Jul 9, 1:17*pm, "DI" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

once have I had any thought of going for it, but didn't.- Hide quoted text -

I too have a license to carry concealed. So does my aforementioned
buddy. I'm not sure of the relevance between that and my post. I
assume my friend means he would shoot them through the windshield as
they were coming at him, in order to stop the assault (or at least
make the vehicle easier to dodge as it will no longer correct to hit
him). Anyway, my point is that I don't think he could hit the driver
of a moving vehicle trying to run him down one-handed while riding
along. My intention is to find a place where we can practice shooting
while riding, with something less lethal than our real guns.

As an aside, handlebar bag? Really? Seems like unzipping the bag and
digging it out (is it loose or holstered? Holstered, add the
unholstering step and loose there could be other handlebar bag junk
wedged into the trigger guard) could be too time consuming and awkward
in a life or death crisis situation. Personally, I'm a holstered-on-
my-side guy. Yet another reason for not wearing tights.
Old July 9th 08, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
di

wrote in message
On Jul 9, 1:17 pm, "DI" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Holstered on the side is not concealed, and strictly illegal. It's very
easy to get out of the handlebar bag. I've just never had the reason to
use it, but can shoot through the bag if necessary.

Old July 9th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:
I apologize if this sounds troll-ish........
...............SNIPS..............
Comments welcome.

Here's a partially rhetorical question: *is it not illegal to
discharge a firearm--for any reason--on a public roadway? *(Maybe the
law varies from place to place....)

I assume it is. I'm not set on doing this on a public roadway,
however, just someplace paved. Also, like I said, I'm thinking pellet
or paintball guns for our experiment/contest. There's no way I'm
going to start riding my bike down the street shooting a real gun.
Old July 9th 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Jul 9, 2:41*pm, "DI" wrote:
wrote in message

On Jul 9, 1:17 pm, "DI" wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

1) Holstered on the side is concealed if another garment, such as a
long baggy t-shirt conceals it.

2) Laws vary from place to place. Where I live not only is it legal
to carry an unconcealed firearm, you don't even need a license. The
license is to conceal, anyone who is not a felon can strap a holstered
pistol to their belt, tuck in their shirt under it and walk (or ride)
down the street.

3) Getting your firearm out of the bag wasn't what I questioned,
getting to the firearm is. I have trouble picturing a self-defense
situation where you have time to unzip and fumble around in your
handlebar bag. It's still better than a saddlebag, which a woman in
one of the newsgroups mentioned a while back, but it's still nowhere
near as accessible as a proper holster. Also, shooting through the
bag sounds to me like asking for trouble. It would be difficult to
properly aim, and you could end up hitting an innocent bystander.
Contrary to what they show in the movies, the proper way to shoot a
handgun is using the sights. They're the things many movie characters
would see on the top of the gun if they rotated it 90 degrees
clockwise from the "cool" shooting position.

Old July 9th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DennisTheBald

On Jul 9, 2:01 pm, " wrote:

Dan, I think you're right on about it being quite a challenge to both
"draw" and then fire from a moving bike - I would have to say no way /
no how... but then some yahoo will practice it and get it down
(probably some yahoo on a trike or maybe a stoker on a tandem). Still
in the space of time during which most motoristas interface with us,
no. Heck, most of 'em wont even hop outta that car and say that ****
when you catch 'em at the stop light (hmmm, there might be some merit
to having a gun rack on the bike if you're gonna issue such challenges
on a regular basis). And yeah, if you're gonna shoot at 'em going
away you're really gonna want a long gun instead of some wimpy assed .
454 causill

But a much funner thought is paintball bicycle cavalry games, I'd pay
to play, you bet!
Old July 9th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
catzz66[_2_]

emanon wrote:

Sounds like an event I wanted to stage when I lived on the edge of the
desert with LOTS of open areas. There is an Olympic sport called
Biathlon involving cross country skiing and shooting a target rifle.
After quite a few bubbly brews some of my friends and I wanted to do
handguns and mountain bikes. Somehow, sadly, we never had the bikes and
guns together at the same time . . .

On the other hand, maybe you were lucky.

Seattle Shooting Leo Lichtman General 9 August 2nd 06 03:14 AM
Shooting video's from a moving bicycle [email protected] UK 17 November 21st 05 06:08 PM
Top of the range 'budget' bike or bottom of the range 'quality' bike? Roja Doja UK 73 April 23rd 04 12:13 AM