Fit Question

Old July 9th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Rex Kerr

Default Fit Question

I've never had a bike that actually fit me. I have three bikes that I
ride regularly, and a fourth that is currently parted, as follows:

2005 Trek 520:
25" frame, seatpost slightly above minimum insertion line,
handlebars at top of spacers on uncut steerer with 120mm stem at
nearly 45 degrees, handlebars are still well below the saddle
height.

Late 70s/Early 80s Nishiki Olympic 12
62cm (as measured by me, center to center)... you can see how I had
it set up he
http://www.twowheels.us/bicycles/nishiki.html
http://www.twowheels.us/bicycles/images/NishikiMain.jpg
Last time I posted a link to this picture I got a lot of responses
saying "Wow, that's way too small for you!!!" Yeah, I know!

2000 Specialized Allez
62 cm frame (per manufacturer), I have the seatpost slightly above
the minimum insertion line

197X Peugeot PX-10 (I've been told that it's a PX-10)
Again, 62 cm (measured by me), I had to buy an extra long seatpost
to get the saddle up where I needed it.

http://www.twowheels.us/bicycles/peugeot_fixie.html

(notice the black plastic over the seatpost, I forgot to remove it
before the picture, it's the rubber spacer for my clampon rack, so
that's also exposed seatpost)

So, now I'm looking at a bike for sale that is an early-mid 80s
Schwinn (I like lugged steel bikes from that era). I can't go
see it until late tomorrow, so I'm thinking a bit about the fit
while anxiously waiting to go.

The guy selling it tells me that he measured it at 27" center to
center, with a standover height of 37", and a reach similar to my
other bikes. I'm a bit worried about the standover height. You can
see from my other pictures that I need a lot of leg extension, and my
handlebars are always far too low (I subscribe to the
handlebars==saddle view). I compared his claimed standover height to
my Peugeot and it seems significantly bigger... can it be that much
of a difference? Is this bike TOO big? (Wow, for once in my life I'm
worried about a bike being too big!!) Based on my pictures does going
2" (almost 6 cm) bigger seem like the right thing to do, or too much?
Perhaps his measurements and mine are each off by a small amount and
the bikes really aren't THAT much different? Does anybody have sizing
specs on Schwinn bikes from that era that I can use to confirm his numbers?

Thanks!
-Rex

--
Work and recreation are not often effected at the same time.
One using a bicycle in business makes an exception to the rule.
Old July 9th 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Rex Kerr

emanon wrote:
Just wondering, have you ever looked into a custom frame?

I don't have NEAR the fit problems you seem to have, but quite some time
ago, I had a frame made for me. Over the years, it's proved to be an
EXCELLENT investment in my enjoyment. While the frame construction is
dated and heavy by today's standards, the comfort factor still can't be
beat. It is made with Columbus SP tubing, so that gives you an idea of
the vintage I'm talking about.

While it may up the price a bit, it will ultimately add to your riding
please, so if you ride a lot, you may want to consider it.

Trust me, I'd LOVE to go custom! :-) The problem has been cost, though
some day I'll probably go for it. The other problem is, which style? A
light stripped down road bike? A tourist/commuter? A fun fixed gear?
I wouldn't be able to decide. :-)

Old July 11th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Rex Kerr

I bought it! It fits MUCH better than any of my other bikes! Now it
just needs a LOT of TLC since it's 27 years old. :-)
Old July 12th 08, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Rex Kerr used indefinite pronouns when he wrote:
I bought it! It fits MUCH better than any of my other bikes! Now it
just needs a LOT of TLC since it's 27 years old. :-)

What is "it"?

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.
Old July 14th 08, 08:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Rex Kerr

Tom Sherman wrote:
Rex Kerr used indefinite pronouns when he wrote:
I bought it! It fits MUCH better than any of my other bikes! Now it
just needs a LOT of TLC since it's 27 years old. :-)

What is "it"?

Sorry, I didn't quote, I relied on the threading, which really doesn't
make sense since newsservers expire old messages. :-) Silly me. ;-)
I'd asked a fit question and was replying to my post.

"It" is obviously a bike. :-) A BIG bike... 27" (~68 cm) seattube
length, and no, it's not a recumbent. :-)

"It" needs a bit of work though... now I just need to find some free time.