How compatible is 3 speed internal gear with sand?

Old March 31st 08, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

Default How compatible is 3 speed internal gear with sand?

"The best way to apply the oil is with a drip-type oil can, along the
top of the lower run of the chain. This applies the oil to the
cleanest part of the chain.

I just run the pedals backwards while applying a line of oil down the
rollers. It takes 15 or 20 seconds to oil a chain this way."

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

This sounds easier than the other method.
Old March 31st 08, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Someone sniped anonymously:

I intend to buy one of those, and I have a sand trail
nearby. Are those gears sealed? How about the maintenance they
take.

maintenance? Adjust cable if shifting is sloppy. Other than
that, drip some bacon fat or suitable equivalent on the chain
when it makes noise. Replacement rear cogs and SS chains are
cheap enough to not worry, just ride.

How 'bout the sand?

Don't ingest it and don't use a wet chain lube and you'll be fine.

Regular gears are more complicated, right? I apply the lube
(motorcycle lube) with a brush to use it sparingly.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...pont-teflon-ch...

Whatever you use, wipe chain outside dry with rag or paper
towel. Lube is on the inside where it belongs, not on the outside
where it acts like sand lure.- Hide quoted text -

Sorry, here it is...

http://www.wikihow.com/Lube-a-Bicycle-Chain

That's a compendium of myth and lore of chain care. I suppose it is
best that the author remain nameless, considering the amount of bad
information the article contains. It starts out with irrelevant
preparing the floor of the work area as though the chain naturally
drips with oil and drops debris. Then it goes on how to drive the
surface debris can be worked into the pins and sleeves of the chain by
rubbing it in with a rag. It enumerates a ritual list that does the
chain no good but might make the perpetrator feel good about external
appearance of the chain.

To clean a chain, it must come off the bicycle to be agitated in a
solvent bath until internal grit is washed out. By that time the
exterior of the chain will be clean anyway unless it had been run
unlubricated a long time.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/chain-care.html

Jobst Brandt
Old March 31st 08, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

On Mar 30, 9:32*pm, wrote:
[...]

I see. But my technique with the brush seems to make sense: less mess
and better application of the lube, no?
Old March 31st 08, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul M. Hobson[_2_]

ComandanteBanana wrote:
I see. But my technique with the brush seems to make sense: less mess
and better application of the lube, no?

No.

--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.
Old March 31st 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 31, 10:41*am, ComandanteBanana
wrote:

[...]

It's a three speed. You're over-analyzing this. Lube yearly, replace
chain if it rusts off.
Old March 31st 08, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

wrote:

On Mar 30, 9:32*pm, wrote:

[...]

chain if it rusts off.- Hide quoted text -

Hey, I've got two more with regular gears. Why you say the brush is no
good?
Old March 31st 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

WELL, let snot hogg the interent on this
listen, if yawl wanna see what goes
clean chain jiggling in thinner twice checking after the first
jiggling wash for sand in between the side plates. eyeyahahahha
waiy'll you try that. grab the chain and twist laterally across the
chain top and bottom so the side plates pinch the other. sand ill go c
\/runch c/\runch

then when there's no crunch crunch. place chain in large can with
valvoline synth or regular transmission oil on bottom to cover chain.
heat on woodstove or electric hotplate until toasty say 200 degress.
swirl chain. remove when at 120 degrees, let drip dry and cool

that''ll run lika cheetah

and give a good idea what that sands adoin' in the chain
Old March 31st 08, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

On Mar 31, 6:13*pm, datakoll wrote:
WELL, let snot hogg the interent on this
listen, if yawl wanna see what goes
clean chain jiggling in thinner twice checking after the first
jiggling wash for sand in between the side plates. eyeyahahahha
waiy'll you try that. grab the chain and twist laterally across the
chain top and bottom so the side plates pinch the other. sand ill go c
\/runch c/\runch

then when there's no crunch crunch. place chain in large can with
valvoline synth or regular transmission oil on bottom to cover chain.
heat on woodstove or electric hotplate until toasty say 200 degress.
swirl chain. remove when at 120 degrees, let drip dry and cool

that''ll run lika cheetah

and give a good idea what that sands adoin' in the chain

It sounds like a simple recipe... I guess no microwave, huh?
Old April 1st 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

use pliers
Old April 1st 08, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

datakoll aka gene daniels wrote:
WELL, let snot hogg the interent on this
listen, if yawl wanna see what goes
clean chain jiggling in thinner twice checking after the first
jiggling wash for sand in between the side plates. eyeyahahahha
waiy'll you try that. grab the chain and twist laterally across the
chain top and bottom so the side plates pinch the other. sand ill go c
\/runch c/\runch

then when there's no crunch crunch. place chain in large can with
valvoline synth or regular transmission oil on bottom to cover chain.
heat on woodstove or electric hotplate until toasty say 200 degress.
swirl chain. remove when at 120 degrees, let drip dry and cool

that''ll run lika cheetah

and give a good idea what that sands adoin' in the chain

“ever get suspicious about chain saw oil attracting wood dust?
generally mucking up after two cuts?
try dumping hot oil into a container just right sized for inserting
the running blade on the job. rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....
plus 750 rpm! ” - gene daniels