Aero spokes?

Old April 21st 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Aero spokes?

Hi All,

I'm trying to puzzle together a wheelset using some rims from a pre-
built set which I broke the freehub on. My problem is finding
inexpensive, durable, serviceable hubs with aero drilling. So I am
considering building up with round spokes.

So my question is, on a 50mm deep rim with 24 spokes, how much will I
be giving away switching from 2.3mm bladed, to butted 1.5mm round
spokes?

Joseph
Old April 21st 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 21, 7:38*pm, "
wrote:
Hi All,

I'm trying to puzzle together a wheelset using some rims from a pre-
built set which I broke the freehub on. My problem is finding
inexpensive, durable, serviceable hubs with aero drilling. So I am
considering building up with round spokes.

So my question is, on a 50mm deep rim with 24 spokes, how much will I
be giving away switching from 2.3mm bladed, to butted 1.5mm round
spokes?

Joseph

I meant 3.6mm bladed!

Joseph
Old April 21st 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 21, 8:25*pm, daveornee daveornee.388...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
Wrote: Hi All,

I'm trying to puzzle together a wheelset using some rims from a pre-
built set which I broke the freehub on. My problem is finding
inexpensive, durable, serviceable hubs with aero drilling. So I am
considering building up with round spokes.

So my question is, on a 50mm deep rim with 24 spokes, how much will I
be giving away switching from 2.3mm bladed, to butted 1.5mm round
spokes?

Joseph

Have you considered Sapim CX-Ray spokes whic fit in standard hub holes?

--
daveornee

Yes, but at $6 a pop locally they are too expensive.

Joseph
Old April 21st 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 21, 9:48*pm, daveornee daveornee.388...@no-
Wrote:

On Apr 21, 8:25*pm, daveornee daveornee.388...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
Wrote: Hi All,

I'm trying to puzzle together a wheelset using some rims from a

pre-
built set which I broke the freehub on. My problem is finding
inexpensive, durable, serviceable hubs with aero drilling. So I am
considering building up with round spokes.

So my question is, on a 50mm deep rim with 24 spokes, how much will

be giving away switching from 2.3mm bladed, to butted 1.5mm round
spokes?

Joseph

Have you considered Sapim CX-Ray spokes whic fit in standard hub

holes?

--
daveornee

Yes, but at $6 a pop locally they are too expensive.

Joseph

What part of the world do you live in?
What lengths do you need?
Color?
J-bend or straight pull?
What would you consider a reasonable price?
Any special nipple considerations for your rims?
I stock some CX-Ray spokes in J-Bend both silver & black.
They come in even mm increments ie. 260, 262, 264, etc.
USPS Priority Mail cost $4.60 (less than 1.5 gallon of gas).

--
daveornee

I live in Norway. I usually use USPS Priority International when I buy
stuff from the US. Probably about $25.

I don't now the length yet, as I haven't decided upon hubs yet. I also
haven't measured the rim yet.

The nipples are inside the rim. I haven't taken any out yet, but they
just look like normal nipples upside down. Perhaps they are special.
I'm waiting to get a proper tool to be able to remove them.

J-bend, probably black because I want my bike to look dated in a few
years.

My local price for DT Revs is about $1.50. So maybe $3 and I'd go for
it.

Joseph
Old April 21st 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kinky Cowboy

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:19:24 -0700 (PDT),
" wrote:

My local price for DT Revs is about $1.50. So maybe $3 and I'd go for
it.

CX-Rays are 1.95 euro each + 22.50 shipping to Norway from Starbike in
Germany
http://www.starbike.com/php/suchen.p...=en&b=Sapim&q=
Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary
Old April 21st 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

" wrote:

My local price for DT Revs is about $1.50. So maybe $3 and I'd go for
it.

CX-Rays are 1.95 euro each + 22.50 shipping to Norway from Starbike in
Germanyhttp://www.starbike.com/php/suchen.php?lang=en&b=Sapim&q=
Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Add 25% VAT (on item + shipping) and $19 in documentation fees for
commercial shipments. That comes to about $5 each (that is less the
German VAT). Not worth the hassle. A private person is often more
flexible in how a package is marked...

Joseph
Old April 22nd 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
daveornee[_180_]

Wrote:

[...]

If I have the spokes you want in stock I can match the $1.50 each.
USPS Priority Mail International to Norway cost $10.45 for a Flat Rate
envelope. I would need a few bucks for handling.

--
daveornee

Old April 22nd 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 21, 1:38 pm, "
wrote:
Hi All,

I'm trying to puzzle together a wheelset using some rims from a pre-
built set which I broke the freehub on. My problem is finding
inexpensive, durable, serviceable hubs with aero drilling. So I am
considering building up with round spokes.

So my question is, on a 50mm deep rim with 24 spokes, how much will I
be giving away switching from 2.3mm bladed, to butted 1.5mm round
spokes?

Joseph

If you mean, "how much slower will I be?", I doubt you'll ever feel
the difference.

I went from oval front spokes to round ones on my touring bike.
Understand, this is the bike I use (unloaded, of course) for most of
my recreational rides. There was probably some difference, but I
couldn't detect it.

If you're planning on racing, I suppose there's a bike performance
calculator website out there that covers spoke types, and can give an
approximate time advantage or disadvantage. Put Carl Fogel on the
project.

- Frank Krygowski