Glass Resistant Tires

Old September 13th 16, 04:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Glass Resistant Tires

Originally Specialized came out with the Armadillo tires that were glass resistant. This was rapidly followed by Continental's Gatorskin.

Because the Continental was more widely available it became very popular.

So now most manufacturers are either producing glass resistant tires or are developing them.

Schwalbe's Fatskins seem to work well but the rubber compound cuts quite easily though punctures appear to be rare.

I still prefer the Armadillo but because it's a house tire of Specialized they are hard to find and expensive. Though they are very flat resistant and have good wear. A Gatorskin will get me about 1,000 miles before they need to be replaced whereas I have about 1,500 on my latest set of Armadillos and while I'm a bit nervous they still have tread all around.

The Gatorskin compound seems to me to be too hard for good traction.

I was just told that Michelin has a new tire in this class - the Power. Has anyone tried these yet? They are tread-less and I wonder how overall traction is. I think they haven't been out long enough to get a decent reading on road wear.

Also - there are several tubeless tires on the market that are supposed to be glass resistant. However, so far I'm told that they don't protect the sidewalls and get glass cuts there easily.
Old September 13th 16, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 11:30:21 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

using thornproof tubes ?
Old September 13th 16, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

right....try a tire with an inner circumferential rubber strip behind the cintact rubber, add an airlock tube or an airlock thornproof tube

thornproofs stop shards squiggling thru the contact rubber from piercing tubes

an airlock can be wondrous.

ran over a roofing ring nail with the aluminum backer...a plant....nail went thru front tire at speed on the downhill of a new intercoastal bridge. I arrived without changing tires n changed abt a week later after several days of pulled nail riding.

changed the tube caws well...stupid winding up under the buss if not right ?

all this flatting paranoia adds WEIGHT to the indispensable lighter is best wheel system. The trekker here is goathead proofed and is a stone. I try ignoring IT but occasionally disgusted.

Old September 14th 16, 11:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-09-13 08:30, wrote:
Originally Specialized came out with the Armadillo tires that were
glass resistant. This was rapidly followed by Continental's
Gatorskin.

Because the Continental was more widely available it became very
popular.

So now most manufacturers are either producing glass resistant tires
or are developing them.

Schwalbe's Fatskins seem to work well but the rubber compound cuts
quite easily though punctures appear to be rare.

I still prefer the Armadillo but because it's a house tire of
Specialized they are hard to find and expensive. Though they are very
flat resistant and have good wear. A Gatorskin will get me about
1,000 miles ...

Are you doing burn-outs or sliding stops with blue smoke wafting off?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipjtRaI6sM0

I get 2500mi out of a Gatorskin on the rear. Despite a few percent of
the mileage being offroad, dirt road and gravel where the tire
occasionally spins or slips a little. Lots of climbs, too, which can be
hard on tires.

... before they need to be replaced whereas I have about
1,500 on my latest set of Armadillos and while I'm a bit nervous they
still have tread all around.

The Gatorskin compound seems to me to be too hard for good traction.

Can't say that and I ride Gatorskins for around two years now. However,
their sidewalls are too flimsy so when the stack of Gatorskins in the
basement is up I'll try CST Correre that was recommended in a thread
here. Unfortunately they do not come in 25mm but only in 23mm and that
will be a squeeze with thick tubes.

The only places where I lose traction are steep sections of dirt roads
or trails.

I was just told that Michelin has a new tire in this class - the
Power. Has anyone tried these yet? They are tread-less and I wonder
how overall traction is. I think they haven't been out long enough to
get a decent reading on road wear.

Also - there are several tubeless tires on the market that are
supposed to be glass resistant. However, so far I'm told that they
don't protect the sidewalls and get glass cuts there easily.

"Modern" tires seem to have poor sidewalls in general. The only measure
I found to help was thick tubes. My road tubes are 0.120" or 3mm in wall
thickness. It is important that this thickness applies all around and
not just towards the running surface. At the least it should also cover
the sidewalls.

For various reasons I am cured of green slime as a protector against flats.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 15th 16, 07:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

Default Tires with sidewall protection (was Glass Resistant Tires)

On 2016-09-13 08:30, wrote:

The Gatorskin compound seems to me to be too hard for good traction.

Can't say that and I ride Gatorskins for around two years now. However,
their sidewalls are too flimsy so when the stack of Gatorskins in the
basement is up I'll try CST Correre that was recommended in a thread
here. Unfortunately they do not come in 25mm but only in 23mm and that
will be a squeeze with thick tubes.

I'm not a big fan of Gatorskins, either.

Joerg, I don't think the Correre will be what you want; they lack
the sidewall protection layer. The CST Conquistare has some models
with bead-to-bead protection, though. Despite being 60tpi and
a bit heavy, they look promising.
http://www.csttires.com/int/bike/roa...uistare-c1761/
Weight: 280g (23mm), 295g (25mm)

I was just told that Michelin has a new tire in this class - the
Power. Has anyone tried these yet?

I haven't ridden them, but I've checked out the specs and reviews.
You might like the Power Protection+ which has a bead-to-bead
Protek layer. That model is on my list to try when I run out of my
stock of Schwalbe Ultremo DD, which have similar protection.
http://bike.michelinman.com/tires/mi...wer-protection
Weight: 255g (23mm), 270g (25mm), 295g (28mm)

Other competitors of which I'm aware a

Specialized Roubaix Armadillo Elite, 310g ("23/25mm")
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/co...o-elite/117738

Schwalbe Pro One, which has a bead-to-bead MicroSkin layer. I'm
not sure it's as good as the SnakeSkin layer in the DD or the
Schwalbe MTB tires, but I suspect I'll find out.
http://www.schwalbe.com/en/road-read...e-pro-one.html
Weight: 235g (23mm), 255g (25mm), 275g (28mm)

Schwalbe Ultremo DD, discontinued, which I've ridden for a few years
now. I really appreciate its mix of virtues, so I stocked up while
they were still available!
https://www.bikesoup.com/magazine/sc...emo-dd-review/
Weight: 240g (23mm), 260g (25mm)

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/
Old September 15th 16, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-09-13 08:30, wrote:

The Gatorskin compound seems to me to be too hard for good traction.

Can't say that and I ride Gatorskins for around two years now. However,
their sidewalls are too flimsy so when the stack of Gatorskins in the
basement is up I'll try CST Correre that was recommended in a thread
here. Unfortunately they do not come in 25mm but only in 23mm and that
will be a squeeze with thick tubes.

I'm not a big fan of Gatorskins, either.

Other than the weak sidewalls and the undersizing (very hard to get onto
shallow rims) I really like them. Pricey but considering that they give
me 2500mi on the rear $45-50 isn't bad.

Joerg, I don't think the Correre will be what you want; they lack
the sidewall protection layer. The CST Conquistare has some models
with bead-to-bead protection, though. Despite being 60tpi and
a bit heavy, they look promising.
http://www.csttires.com/int/bike/roa...uistare-c1761/
Weight: 280g (23mm), 295g (25mm)

Thanks! Best of all is this one comes in 25mm wire bead. I do not care
about weight. All that matters to me is getting there without a flat.

[...]

Regarding stocking up I always wonder how long a tire can be stored.
Assuming it's not stored in a hot garage but in the house.

Old September 15th 16, 04:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2016-09-14, Joerg wrote:
On 2016-09-13 08:30, wrote:

[...]

Are you having problems with the sidewalls on the wire-bead Gatorskins? I haven't had sidewall problems with those tires, and the compound does have reasonably good wet traction. They are pricey, and if I find a decent sale-table option for my commuter bike, I take that -- so long as it is not a true hard-case. Those ride like wagon wheels, at least the early versions for Specialized and Bontrager.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 15th 16, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-09-14, Joerg wrote:
On 2016-09-13 08:30, wrote:

[...]

Yes. It's the 25mm wire-bead type. Twice I had flats where a chunk of
wire in the street poked through and then on through the thick tube. One
tire developed a sidewall "aneurysm", thus premature failure. For $45-50
I expect a little better. The running surface is good and nothing made
it through there deep enough to puncture the tube. Goat's heads do
occasionally penetrate but break off before they can cause a flat,
thanks to 0.120" wall thickness in the tubes.

... I haven't had sidewall problems with those tires, and
the compound does have reasonably good wet traction. They are pricey,
and if I find a decent sale-table option for my commuter bike, I take
that -- so long as it is not a true hard-case. Those ride like wagon
wheels, at least the early versions for Specialized and Bontrager.

Gimmee wagon wheels :-)

Seriously, I neither care about riding comfort nor about weight. All I
care about is not having a delay caused by equipment failure.

Old September 16th 16, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

On 2016-09-14 23:02, Gregory Sutter wrote:

Joerg, I don't think the Correre will be what you want; they lack
the sidewall protection layer. The CST Conquistare has some models
with bead-to-bead protection, though. Despite being 60tpi and
a bit heavy, they look promising.
http://www.csttires.com/int/bike/roa...uistare-c1761/
Weight: 280g (23mm), 295g (25mm)

Thanks! Best of all is this one comes in 25mm wire bead. I do not care
about weight. All that matters to me is getting there without a flat.

Note that the wire bead ones don't have the "EPSBTB" that you're
looking for. And I know you said you don't care, but they're going
to ride like wood blocks compared to the higher TPI folding ones.

Old September 16th 16, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

On 2016-09-15, Joerg wrote:

Seriously, I neither care about riding comfort nor about weight. All I
care about is not having a delay caused by equipment failure.

In that case, I also recommend the Schwalbe Durano DD, the 28mm if
your frame and brakes can fit it. Same protection characteristics as
the previously mentioned Ultremo DD, but more rubber and the option
of a wire bead model for an additional 100g penalty.
http://www.schwalbe.com/en/road-reader/durano-dd.html

Glass pieces in tires dgk General 21 May 8th 07 02:38 PM
Light and puncture resistant tires for Madone chris c General 23 June 20th 06 12:43 AM
new tech for puncture resistant tires? tiborg Techniques 12 June 17th 06 06:04 AM
Best puncture resistant clincher tires [email protected] Techniques 34 March 20th 06 09:17 PM
What do YOU use to pull glass/wires/nails/goatheads out of tires? [email protected] General 8 January 24th 06 09:42 PM