Chain Lube

Old September 30th 16, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

Default Chain Lube

Sheldon has written that "New chains come pre-lubricated with a
grease-type lubricant which has been installed at the factory. This is
an excellent lubricant..." and goes on to say that "The factory
lubricant all by itself is usually good for several hundred miles of
service..."

One can only speculate whether any of the marvelous modern
commercially available chain oils are actually superior to the
original factory lubrication?

If not than perhaps the best solution would be to devise a method of
chain lubrication that would emulate the original factory lubrication.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old September 30th 16, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/29/2016 10:31 PM, John B. wrote:

Sheldon has written that "New chains come pre-lubricated with a
grease-type lubricant which has been installed at the factory. This is
an excellent lubricant..." and goes on to say that "The factory
lubricant all by itself is usually good for several hundred miles of
service..."

One can only speculate whether any of the marvelous modern
commercially available chain oils are actually superior to the
original factory lubrication?

If not than perhaps the best solution would be to devise a method of
chain lubrication that would emulate the original factory lubrication.

I'd love to observe the process by which the marvelous modern chain oils
are "invented." I strongly suspect it starts with "What kind of oil can
we buy cheaply in 55 gallon drums?"

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 30th 16, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Shimano 8 speed packing lube was heavy yet slick. WAS as I bought several packs 9 years ago. Lube cudda changed.

Tho Sheldon is correct, that packing lube attracts dirt n grit way above what Valvo Synth or Epic would attract.

Packing lube from the experience of it are hot when flowed onto a hot chain or in an effective temp relationship as the chain IS saturated with rust preventing lube.

Shimano 8's are a world class chain for world conditions.

Old September 30th 16, 08:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 22:46:22 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 9/29/2016 10:31 PM, John B. wrote:

Sheldon has written that "New chains come pre-lubricated with a
grease-type lubricant which has been installed at the factory. This is
an excellent lubricant..." and goes on to say that "The factory
lubricant all by itself is usually good for several hundred miles of
service..."

One can only speculate whether any of the marvelous modern
commercially available chain oils are actually superior to the
original factory lubrication?

If not than perhaps the best solution would be to devise a method of
chain lubrication that would emulate the original factory lubrication.

I'd love to observe the process by which the marvelous modern chain oils
are "invented." I strongly suspect it starts with "What kind of oil can
we buy cheaply in 55 gallon drums?"

I don't believe that there is any question of that. A friend got into
the diesel fuel additive business and imported barrels of the stuff
from a U.S. maker and decanted it into small bottles. The mark-up was
something like 10 times his materials cost.

From what I understood the maker sold only in barrel lots.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old September 30th 16, 04:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/29/2016 9:46 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Rock N Roll was developed by a polymer chemist who left an
academic position to make the stuff.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 30th 16, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 09:31:43 +0700, John B.
wrote:

If not than perhaps the best solution would be to devise a method of
chain lubrication that would emulate the original factory lubrication.

I'll resist the temptation to scrape off sufficient grease from my new
chains still in the box to analyze. Sticky goo, that collects quite a
bit of dust to produce a tar like coating has been my experience.
While I realize that this might be heresy, I think Sheldon was wrong
because the factory grease is a dirt magnet. However, I use NBC
(nothing but cheapest) chains, which may use a uniquely cheap grease.

Here's a video that claims to have discovered the secret factory sauce
used by various chain manufactories:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZEDPW6PYmY

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 30th 16, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei[_2_]

On 30-09-16 04:31, John B. wrote:

Sheldon has written that "New chains come pre-lubricated with a
grease-type lubricant which has been installed at the factory. This is
an excellent lubricant..." and goes on to say that "The factory
lubricant all by itself is usually good for several hundred miles of
service..."

One can only speculate whether any of the marvelous modern
commercially available chain oils are actually superior to the
original factory lubrication?

If not than perhaps the best solution would be to devise a method of
chain lubrication that would emulate the original factory lubrication.

Fortunately this problem has been solved, of course by Sheldon.
See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html

Ned
Old September 30th 16, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

One can only speculate whether any of the marvelous modern
commercially available chain oils are actually superior to the
original factory lubrication?

If not than perhaps the best solution would be to devise a method of
chain lubrication that would emulate the original factory lubrication.

Fortunately this problem has been solved, of course by Sheldon.
See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html

OK I'll let the cat out of the bag. Here is how to do it.

1. remove chain from bike and clean
2. hang chain from nail in sun
3. Dribble favorite lube onto top of chain until drops fall of the bottom.
4. hold chain ends in hands making U shape and articulate thoroughly by moving one hand up and the other down
5. hang upside down on nail and repeat
6. dry outer surfaces thoroughly with rag

The chains is lubed on the inside and this method is so superior to all others that you can feel the difference and remove all doubt when doing the one-hand-up-one-hand-down bull****.

Old September 30th 16, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Benderthe.evilrobot

wrote:

If not than perhaps the best solution would be to devise a method of
chain lubrication that would emulate the original factory lubrication.

I'll resist the temptation to scrape off sufficient grease from my new
chains still in the box to analyze. Sticky goo, that collects quite a
bit of dust to produce a tar like coating has been my experience.
While I realize that this might be heresy, I think Sheldon was wrong
because the factory grease is a dirt magnet. However, I use NBC
(nothing but cheapest) chains, which may use a uniquely cheap grease.

A few years ago I needed to replace the rear sprocket thingy - it seemed
like a new chain to go with it was the right thing to do (the chainwheel
looked OK).

The sprocket doofer was Shimano and the chain was lower middle price range -
the chain was knackered after a few months.

Now I use salvaged chains with salvage sprockets - first few lube jobs are
with car wheel bearing "CV" molybdenum grease, then I switch to PTFE, either
Finish-Line PTFE bicycle grease or dribble on some Slick-50.

You can get dry film PTFE lubricants, but not cheap enough for salvage
chains. But it isn't a dirt magnet.

BTW: You can get Finish-Line grease in a pressurised applicator - easy to
run a "bead" of grease onto the chain as you turn it round.

Old October 2nd 16, 06:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

On 2016-09-30, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

While I realize that this might be heresy, I think Sheldon was wrong
because the factory grease is a dirt magnet. However, I use NBC
(nothing but cheapest) chains, which may use a uniquely cheap grease.

As a Sheldon trufan (the only sticker allowed on my favorite bike
is of He Who Rode With Eagle), I'm appalled--but I also think
you're right. Shimano chains come in a sticky grease that is good
for storage; I've never found it to be good lube for an in-service
chain.

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/

Factory lube/chaincase experiment (X8 chain, Chainglider chain case,Surly SS & Rohloff gears) Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 15 July 14th 13 08:07 PM
Dry Chain Lube? !Jones[_3_] Techniques 5 June 13th 08 04:10 AM
Chain lube Si UK 13 August 20th 05 07:24 AM
CHAIN LUBE CHAIN LUBE CHAIN LUBE g.daniels Techniques 10 November 1st 04 05:08 PM
Chain Lube Doki Mountain Biking 8 October 22nd 04 09:07 PM