Foam on road after first rain: What is it?

Old October 3rd 16, 10:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Foam on road after first rain: What is it?

On the ride yesterday I got soaked and hailed upon. First rain after
about six dry months. No big deal but as I rode on through some rain
there was an immense amount of white foam floating down toward the side
of the road. I slowed down but lots of that still splashed onto my legs.
Where there were gutters it looked like someone had dropped a package of
laundry detergent.

This was present on almost all roads so it's not oils from resurfacing
(as explained in some Internet links I found). I also rode a stretch
where only few cars but also some airplanes taxi and to my surprise that
road had no foam at all.

What is it? Coolant? Something else from motor vehicles?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 4th 16, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

ambergris

Old October 4th 16, 03:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, October 3, 2016 at 2:26:51 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On the ride yesterday I got soaked and hailed upon. First rain after
about six dry months. No big deal but as I rode on through some rain
there was an immense amount of white foam floating down toward the side
of the road. I slowed down but lots of that still splashed onto my legs.
Where there were gutters it looked like someone had dropped a package of
laundry detergent.

This was present on almost all roads so it's not oils from resurfacing
(as explained in some Internet links I found). I also rode a stretch
where only few cars but also some airplanes taxi and to my surprise that
road had no foam at all.

What is it? Coolant? Something else from motor vehicles?

Mountain lion drool.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old October 4th 16, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Monday, October 3, 2016 at 2:26:51 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On the ride yesterday I got soaked and hailed upon. First rain after
about six dry months. No big deal but as I rode on through some rain
there was an immense amount of white foam floating down toward the side
of the road. I slowed down but lots of that still splashed onto my legs.
Where there were gutters it looked like someone had dropped a package of
laundry detergent.

This was present on almost all roads so it's not oils from resurfacing
(as explained in some Internet links I found). I also rode a stretch
where only few cars but also some airplanes taxi and to my surprise that
road had no foam at all.

What is it? Coolant? Something else from motor vehicles?

It is that which is making algae bloom?
http://projects.sgvtribune.com/blue-green-algae/

Old October 4th 16, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Monday, October 3, 2016 at 6:41:26 PM UTC-7, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
ambergris

Sperm whale spode? In Auburn?!?
Old October 4th 16, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

On 2016-10-03, Joerg wrote:
On the ride yesterday I got soaked and hailed upon. First rain after
about six dry months. No big deal but as I rode on through some rain
there was an immense amount of white foam floating down toward the side
of the road. I slowed down but lots of that still splashed onto my legs.
Where there were gutters it looked like someone had dropped a package of
laundry detergent.

Oils are released over time from the asphalt, along with plant
oils/terpenes (in your area, probably pine oil) and oils that may
have accumulated from automotive spills. Water on the road brings
them all to the surface, where the mechanical action of car tires
froths them into a foamy emulsion.

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/
Old October 4th 16, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-10-03, Joerg wrote:
On the ride yesterday I got soaked and hailed upon. First rain after
about six dry months. No big deal but as I rode on through some rain
there was an immense amount of white foam floating down toward the side
of the road. I slowed down but lots of that still splashed onto my legs.
Where there were gutters it looked like someone had dropped a package of
laundry detergent.

Oils are released over time from the asphalt, along with plant
oils/terpenes (in your area, probably pine oil) and oils that may
have accumulated from automotive spills. Water on the road brings
them all to the surface, where the mechanical action of car tires
froths them into a foamy emulsion.

Aha, thanks. That could be it because it only happened on well-traveled
roads. There was none on bike baths or on the aircraft taxi road I used
(legally). We do get a lot of pine dust from the Yosemite area. It's
yellow but after being massaged into the asphalt and then washed out
again, who knows.

Old October 4th 16, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-10-04 09:46, Doug Landau wrote:
On Monday, October 3, 2016 at 2:26:51 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On the ride yesterday I got soaked and hailed upon. First rain after
about six dry months. No big deal but as I rode on through some rain
there was an immense amount of white foam floating down toward the side
of the road. I slowed down but lots of that still splashed onto my legs.
Where there were gutters it looked like someone had dropped a package of
laundry detergent.

This was present on almost all roads so it's not oils from resurfacing
(as explained in some Internet links I found). I also rode a stretch
where only few cars but also some airplanes taxi and to my surprise that
road had no foam at all.

What is it? Coolant? Something else from motor vehicles?

It is that which is making algae bloom?
http://projects.sgvtribune.com/blue-green-algae/

It's white and the ocean is kind of far away, about 100mi.

Old October 5th 16, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 11:32:01 AM UTC-6, Doug Landau wrote:
On Monday, October 3, 2016 at 6:41:26 PM UTC-7, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
ambergris

Sperm whale spode? In Auburn?!?

spode ? spode we be Sirius ?

https://www.google.com/#q=yucca+soap

BAR FOAM datakoll Techniques 0 July 20th 13 01:56 PM
foam saddle foam goldenchicken Unicycling 3 December 6th 05 05:40 AM
how much can i cut down the foam on my kh seat unicyclistben Unicycling 4 November 23rd 05 12:57 AM
DIY Road bar foam grips [email protected] Techniques 4 January 3rd 05 09:05 PM
Where to buy foam? total uni Unicycling 8 December 7th 04 05:20 AM