Full Suspension

Old July 24th 04, 12:06 AM
peter.kidwell

Default Full Suspension

My main cycling is on road and I only own road bikes(which I use off road)
but I have decided to do more off road cycling and buy a Mtn Bike do I go
for full suspension or front only.
My rides would be about 50 miles on tracks & trails, not on the real tech
stuff.
I think Just front sus. might be ok but everyone in the mags are saying full
sus is much better.??????

PK

Old July 24th 04, 01:33 AM
S o r n i

peter.kidwell wrote:
My main cycling is on road and I only own road bikes(which I use off
road) but I have decided to do more off road cycling and buy a Mtn
Bike do I go for full suspension or front only.
My rides would be about 50 miles on tracks & trails, not on the real
tech stuff.
I think Just front sus. might be ok but everyone in the mags are
saying full sus is much better.??????

You probably don't need ANY suspension (other than that nice big fat front
tire), but if you must have it then go for a hardtail with a decent-quality
fork.

Have you considered a cyclocross bike instead of a mountain bike?

Bill "horses for courses...of course" S.

Old July 27th 04, 08:43 PM
DanTheMusicFan25

I would say that full suspension gives you the ultimate level of control over a
hardtail, but obviously this comes at a price in relation to the equivalent
hardtail. Still if money is no object than FRS would have to win - except in
terms of weight. A hardtail will virtually always be lighter than the
equivalent full suspension rig. And unless your seriously into XC riding I
would argue that a hardtail will do the job in the majority of cases.