Frozen Bottom Bracket...what to do?

Old October 6th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
steve

Default Frozen Bottom Bracket...what to do?

Ive got a 15 year old Merckx (SLX) with a C-Record BB (early version, two
cups, bearing races, lock ring...not the sealed bearing kind) frozen to the
frame. Ive given up on saving the BB, but I want to get it out without
damaging the frame so I can install a new one. Any suggestions on how to do
this?

thanks,
steve
--
"The accused will now make a bogus statement."
James Joyce
Old October 6th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

steve wrote:

Ive got a 15 year old Merckx (SLX) with a C-Record BB (early version, two
cups, bearing races, lock ring...not the sealed bearing kind) frozen to the
frame. Ive given up on saving the BB, but I want to get it out without
damaging the frame so I can install a new one. Any suggestions on how to do
this?

Jerry in Vermont's weekend girlfriend will be able to suck it out if you
ask her nicely.

Old October 6th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

steve wrote:
Ive got a 15 year old Merckx (SLX) with a C-Record BB (early version, two
cups, bearing races, lock ring...not the sealed bearing kind) frozen to the
frame. Ive given up on saving the BB, but I want to get it out without
damaging the frame so I can install a new one. Any suggestions on how to do
this?

Take it to a good bike shop.

OK, what exactly is "frozen"? Lock ring? Fixed cup? Adj. cup? Aluminum
cups or steel? --D-y

Old October 6th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
jerry in vermont

Donald Munro wrote:
steve wrote:

Ive got a 15 year old Merckx (SLX) with a C-Record BB (early version, two
cups, bearing races, lock ring...not the sealed bearing kind) frozen to the
frame. Ive given up on saving the BB, but I want to get it out without
damaging the frame so I can install a new one. Any suggestions on how to do
this?

Jerry in Vermont's weekend girlfriend will be able to suck it out if you
ask her nicely.

No sucking, its all in the tounge.

Barring that, I would use a sawzall in the downtube and seat tube. It
will come right off.

Old October 6th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

If it is the adjustable cub try using liquid wrench. If not you try
ammonia, sometimes this works with frozen seat posts. Your other option
is to try and use a pipe wrench on the adustable cup assuming there is
enough surface for the wrench to grab hold of.

Fixed cup

The more likely scenario is that the fixed cup is frozen. Find a bike
shop that has a fixed cup reomoval tool. The other option is too find
someone who has a machinists vise like a Wilton. Put the fixed cup in
the vise and this may work as well.

Old October 6th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

wrote:
If it is the adjustable cub try using liquid wrench. If not you try
ammonia, sometimes this works with frozen seat posts. Your other option
is to try and use a pipe wrench on the adustable cup assuming there is
enough surface for the wrench to grab hold of.

Fixed cup

The more likely scenario is that the fixed cup is frozen. Find a bike
shop that has a fixed cup reomoval tool. The other option is too find
someone who has a machinists vise like a Wilton. Put the fixed cup in
the vise and this may work as well.

The fixed cup tool you are looking is specifically designed to remove
fixed cups. I believe bicycle research or Hozan made this tool. If all
else fails then you may have to use something like liquid nitrogen or
liquid helium. I have used liquid freon to remove die that another bike
shop got the die stuck on.

Old October 6th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
CowPunk

steve wrote:
Ive got a 15 year old Merckx (SLX) with a C-Record BB (early version, two
cups, bearing races, lock ring...not the sealed bearing kind) frozen to the
frame. Ive given up on saving the BB, but I want to get it out without
damaging the frame so I can install a new one. Any suggestions on how to do
this?

thanks,
steve
--
"The accused will now make a bogus statement."
James Joyce

lube + monkey wrench + cheater bar(4' pipe slipped over the handle of
the monkey wrench)

I recently had the same problem with a frame I bought off Ebay. I
plugged up the holes in the BB and then poured WD40 down the seat tube
and let it soak for a few days.
Then went after it with a monkey wrnech and cheater bar. I almost gave
up, but it finally
broke free.

Old October 7th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

wrote in message
ups.com...

The fixed cup tool you are looking is specifically designed to remove
fixed cups. I believe bicycle research or Hozan made this tool. If all
else fails then you may have to use something like liquid nitrogen or
liquid helium. I have used liquid freon to remove die that another bike
shop got the die stuck on.

So _that's_ what happened to the ozone layer.

Old October 7th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

1. Soak with penatrating oil. wait 2 days.
2. Stick entire frame in a walk in freezer or similar.
3. get proper tools and turn them in the right direction.
4. take frame out of freezer and heat center of BB (the bike frame with
a propane torch, not the spindle!) as you turn tool in proper
direction. the frame will expand at a quicker rate than the fixed cup
and allow you to get the piece off.

if the fixed cup gets warm, repeat the freezing. the idea is to go
after the temp difference between frame and cups.

Old October 7th 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

I don't recommend using a torch since you will wreck the paint. If the
adjusting cup comes off then the fixed cup can be removed. The secial
fixed cup removal tool will it. It's a essciall a bolt with a nut that
jams into the fixed cup. I suppose one could make one with a bolt. The
nut and bolt would probably have a left hand thread to prevent it from
loosening.