Another Mountain Biker Dies in a Crash!

Old January 5th 07, 04:37 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
RpJ

Default Another Mountain Biker Dies in a Crash!

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
On 5 Jan 2007 05:05:23 -0800, "Marz" wrote:

Mike Vandeman wrote:
On 4 Jan 2007 11:25:35 -0800, "Marz" wrote:

Mike Vandeman wrote:
Mountain bikers claim that mountain biking decreases auto dependence,
but he was driving a car. Hmmm.

You're getting desperate Mikey. Cycling in general does decrease auto
dependence, but mountain biking is an activity that takes place in
areas where, in general, cars don't go.

So it INCREASES auto dependence. Because you guys are too lazy to ride
to the trailhead.

Yes Mikey, very clever, mountain biking for some (not all mountain
bikers) requires transportation to a trail head, park, woodland, etc.
But so does hiking, trail running, tennis, football, eating out, going
to the movies or meeting friends.

Nonsense. You missed the point Most of that can be satisfied in the
city or in local parks that you can walk to. Mountain biking, on the
other hand, can't be done there.

It's funny how when we want to go do
stuff we usually need transportation to get there and for some that's a
car.

When I lived in Houston I used to ride Memorial trails most weekends, I
lived about 7 miles from the trails and I used to ride there.

Implying that you now drive to the trailhead. The point is that
mountain bikers don't really care about the environment, even though
they CLAIM to.

In fact
most of the riders I knew rode there from their homes. All the hikers,
dog walkers and trail runners I knew drove there from their homes, some
of whom only lived about 3 miles away. So from my limited experience
hikers are more auto dependent than mountain bikers. I wonder if this
trend is the norm?

Let me know when you get some real data.

The lack of hard data, does not make his observations invalid. I would be
interested to hear from anybody who has not observed the same. Your personal
slant on this is already known.

Old January 5th 07, 04:45 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Marz

Mike Vandeman wrote:
Mountain bikers claim that mountain biking decreases auto dependence,
but he was driving a car. Hmmm.

You're getting desperate Mikey. Cycling in general does decrease auto
dependence, but mountain biking is an activity that takes place in
areas where, in general, cars don't go.

So it INCREASES auto dependence. Because you guys are too lazy to ride
to the trailhead.

Yes Mikey, very clever, mountain biking for some (not all mountain
bikers) requires transportation to a trail head, park, woodland, etc.
But so does hiking, trail running, tennis, football, eating out, going
to the movies or meeting friends.

Nonsense. You missed the point Most of that can be satisfied in the
city or in local parks that you can walk to. Mountain biking, on the
other hand, can't be done there.

Maybe in your town, definitly not possible in Houston (nobody walks in
Houston to anything) and other cities I have lived in. But ignoring
those other activities and just comparing hikers and bikers, I suggest
it's more likely that a hiker requires their car to reach a local trail
head than a mountain biker and it is hikers and not bikers who are more
dependent on cars.

Plus in all the towns I have lived in mountain biking is allowed within
designated mtb areas with the parks.

It's funny how when we want to go do
stuff we usually need transportation to get there and for some that's a
car.

When I lived in Houston I used to ride Memorial trails most weekends, I
lived about 7 miles from the trails and I used to ride there.

Implying that you now drive to the trailhead. The point is that
mountain bikers don't really care about the environment, even though
they CLAIM to.

Not at all. I know live within 2 miles of 7 trail heads and ride to
all. There are a few over trails that are about 30 miles from home, but
are out in the middle of nowhere and I take the car to them whether I'm
biking or hiking them.

In fact
most of the riders I knew rode there from their homes. All the hikers,
dog walkers and trail runners I knew drove there from their homes, some
of whom only lived about 3 miles away. So from my limited experience
hikers are more auto dependent than mountain bikers. I wonder if this
trend is the norm?

Let me know when you get some real data.

It is real data Mikey, it just may not sufficient data to extrapolate a
trend. Of course you have no data to counter this.

laters,

Marz

Old January 6th 07, 02:42 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Ist-e Mundus, Furia bundus

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
Mountain bikers claim that mountain biking decreases auto dependence,
but he was driving a car. Hmmm.

Mike

SNIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you for real? Obviously, senile dementia has set in. Seek help.

Old January 6th 07, 04:12 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Mike Vandeman wrote:
[...]

Without data, you can't convince anyone.

[...]

Au contraire. The mountain bikers I hear ALL drive, except a tiny
bunch who try to take tranist. The downhillers take the bus to the top
of the hill.

laters,

Marz

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old January 6th 07, 04:31 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
RpJ

news

Mike Vandeman wrote:
[...]

Let us know when you get some real data.

Old January 7th 07, 01:03 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

How come you did not post this in the football forum? After all, he was a
football player. He was a drifter too. I'll bet he was a beer drinker, and
enjoyed television, but these passions were not described in the article.

You continue to amaze me with your complete and utter ignorance. I seldom
use "bad language," but you're a dumb ****, Michael.

/top post

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
Mountain bikers claim that mountain biking decreases auto dependence,
but he was driving a car. Hmmm.

Mike

Man, 24, dies after crash

A 24-year-old former Shrewsbury man has been killed in a head-on
collision with a lorry in Cornwall.

Sam Wentworth, who was a student at Meole Brace School and Shrewsbury
College, died at the scene of the accident between Bodmin and
Liskeard.

Mr Wentworth's family were not at their home in Shrewsbury today, but
close friend James Wood today paid tribute to the clothing store
manager.

Mr Wentworth was a keen traveller who also enjoyed mountain biking and
football, Mr Wood said.

"He was a lifelong friend and it is devastating really, especially at
this time of year. I met him after he left school and there was a
group of about 20 of us that kicked around together.

"He was quite a drifter and had travelled the world. He went to Brazil
last year. The thing with Sam was he was the most relaxed, laid back
guy you would ever meet. He was always smiling and laughing and didn't
take anything too seriously.

"He wanted to enjoy life, get around and see everything and do as much
as he possibly could. He was so well liked and I'm sure there will be
a huge turnout for his funeral."

Mr Wentworth, who lived in St Judes, ran Surfing Life, in Cornwall
Street, Plymouth. He had previously worked at Dave Mellor Cycles in
Frankwell, Shrewsbury.

He was driving a black VW Golf which was in collision with a white
Iveco lorry at Two Waters Foot near Trago Mills on Saturday. The
driver of the lorry was not seriously hurt, police said. Fire crews
from Bodmin and Liskeard, police and the ambulance service were called
to the incident at 8.40am.

Police said Mr Wentworth, who had to be cut from his car by fire
crews, died at the scene as a result of his injuries.

Inspector Sean Pepper of Devon and Cornwall Constabulary said: "The
police don't know how the accident happened, but we are continuing our
inquiries and would like to speak to anyone who saw the incident."

Mr Wentworth moved down south several years ago to study at the
University of Plymouth and chose to stay in the area.

Mr Wood said he and other friends were planning to set up a trust fund
to help Mr Wentworth's partner, Sarah.

By Tom Warren
===

Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
fond of!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Old January 7th 07, 03:16 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
S Curtiss

Mike Vandeman wrote:
Mountain bikers claim that mountain biking decreases auto
dependence,
but he was driving a car. Hmmm.

So was the "hiker" mentioned in my reply of 1/4. More proof that hiking and
mountain biking are similar!

You're getting desperate Mikey. Cycling in general does decrease
auto
dependence, but mountain biking is an activity that takes place in
areas where, in general, cars don't go.

So it INCREASES auto dependence. Because you guys are too lazy to
ride
to the trailhead.

Anecdotal. Meaningless. Where is your comparative data on trailhead driving
and user groups?

Yes Mikey, very clever, mountain biking for some (not all mountain
bikers) requires transportation to a trail head, park, woodland, etc.
But so does hiking, trail running, tennis, football, eating out, going
to the movies or meeting friends.

Nonsense. You missed the point Most of that can be satisfied in the
city or in local parks that you can walk to. Mountain biking, on the
other hand, can't be done there.

WRONG!!! Mountain biking can be done ANYWHERE there is a trail! Not all
open trails are miles away. We have miles and miles of trails within our
city and county limits. A 10 minute ride from my house gets me on a trail!
You can't use your small field of experience to extrapolate conditions for
everyone! That is called "conjecture" and hardly relevant in any real field
of eveidence.

Maybe in your town, definitly not possible in Houston (nobody walks in
Houston to anything) and other cities I have lived in. But ignoring
those other activities and just comparing hikers and bikers, I suggest
it's more likely that a hiker requires their car to reach a local trail
head than a mountain biker and it is hikers and not bikers who are more
dependent on cars.

Without data, you can't convince anyone.

That applies to you also! Even more so as it is your OPINION stating all
off-road cyclists must drive to the trail. The burden of proof is on you to
show real and comparative data.

Plus in all the towns I have lived in mountain biking is allowed within
designated mtb areas with the parks.

Yes! Yes! And notice NO mikey response! Why is that, you reckon....

It's funny how when we want to go do
stuff we usually need transportation to get there and for some that's a
car.

When I lived in Houston I used to ride Memorial trails most weekends, I
lived about 7 miles from the trails and I used to ride there.

Implying that you now drive to the trailhead. The point is that
mountain bikers don't really care about the environment, even though
they CLAIM to.

Conjecture. Opinion. Invalid. No "point" at all!

Not at all. I know live within 2 miles of 7 trail heads and ride to
all. There are a few over trails that are about 30 miles from home, but
are out in the middle of nowhere and I take the car to them whether I'm
biking or hiking them.

Yes!! An notice NO response from mikey... Again!

In fact
most of the riders I knew rode there from their homes. All the hikers,
dog walkers and trail runners I knew drove there from their homes, some
of whom only lived about 3 miles away. So from my limited experience
hikers are more auto dependent than mountain bikers. I wonder if this
trend is the norm?

Let me know when you get some real data.

It is real data Mikey, it just may not sufficient data to extrapolate a
trend. Of course you have no data to counter this.

Au contraire. The mountain bikers I hear ALL drive, except a tiny
bunch who try to take tranist. The downhillers take the bus to the top
of the hill.

The mountain bikers "you" hear...? Anecdotal! Meaningless. And does not
counter any comparative data showing other trail users and their driving
habits. You still have NOTHING but your OPINION of off-road cycling which
colors every statement you make!

Btw... Which bus takes "downhillers" to the top of the hill? Would that be
the "A" or "B" Express? Is BART gonna extend a rail line, too? And does your
trail terrorists' friends piano wire stop a bus?
Wow! You are losing everywhere! Mountain bikers on the trails and the
pavement expanded to haul them on combustion busses! Daa-aamn!

Old January 7th 07, 10:56 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Mike Vandeman wrote:
[...]

Did you say something?
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old January 8th 07, 12:32 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
RpJ

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
Did you say something?

Couldn't support his argument any longer so he resorts to his usual childish
behaviour.

My oh my, it sucks to be you

Old January 8th 07, 03:36 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
GaryG

"Ist-e Mundus, Furia bundus" wrote in message

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
Mountain bikers claim that mountain biking decreases auto dependence,
but he was driving a car. Hmmm.

Mike

Are you for real? Obviously, senile dementia has set in. Seek help.

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, and/or schizophrenia seem more likely.

GG