Trail Building ala AZ style

Old January 8th 07, 08:38 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

Default Trail Building ala AZ style

GeeDubb wrote:

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
GeeDubb wrote:
It seems the BLM is putting our tax dollars to good work. I and
about 30 (the AZ style part) other volunteers helped cut in some
800-1000 feet of new trail near Black Canyon City. In the plans are
some 100 miles of trails from what I heard. Eventually this single
track (no motors allowed) will run from the edge of the Prescott
National Forest boundary (BLM is working with FS to continue trail
through) South to the Carefree Hwy. This will make for one killer
epic when finished. BLM is also hiring trail crews to do some of the
heavier work.

A lot of pics were taken today and when I find out where they're at
I'll post a link. It was a beautiful day and made special by all the
hard work from everybody (including the horse folks) :-).

Gary

Ya know. I read this again and then pictured where that trail would
be. Holy motherload. I would suppose that if you do the 100 miles you
would want to start in Prescott and end in Carefree otherwise it would
be a killer uphill ride. Does it have to cross the interstate at some
point?

--

No interstate crossing (all on west side of I17 or would that be route
17.....) and yes, it would be easier to go from PNF down to Carefree

here's site description
"The non-motorized, single-track trail under construction is designed
for use by equestrians, hikers and mountain bikers. It is approximately
62 miles long, stretching from the Carefree Highway (AZ Highway 74),
northward along the base of the Bradshaw Mountains, beyond highway 69
near the town of Mayer to the Prescott National Forest."

Gary (if I ever find my gps I'll send you a route map...)

Now they need to take is a little southeast and connect it to Pima-Dynamite.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old January 8th 07, 09:35 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

"Dean A. Stepper" wrote in message

"GeeDubb" wrote in message
m...
It seems the BLM is putting our tax dollars to good work. I and about 30
(the AZ style part) other volunteers helped cut in some 800-1000 feet of
new trail near Black Canyon City. In the plans are some 100 miles of
trails from what I heard. Eventually this single track (no motors
allowed) will run from the edge of the Prescott National Forest boundary
(BLM is working with FS to continue trail through) South to the Carefree
Hwy. This will make for one killer epic when finished. BLM is also
hiring trail crews to do some of the heavier work.

A lot of pics were taken today and when I find out where they're at I'll
post a link. It was a beautiful day and made special by all the hard
work from everybody (including the horse folks) :-).

Gary

Thanks to all that worked on this trail. I rode the Pan Loop X-Mas Day.
Nice work.

Dean

I didn't know about this area until 12/10/07 (a friend asked me to do trail
work but I was working) and finally rode the PL on NYD. I then heard about
the upcoming trail work and I was in. There's a ton of work to do yet so
mark 2/10/07 (next trail work day) on your calendar. I hope to check out
the scout loop section soon.

Gary

Old January 8th 07, 09:36 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
GeeDubb wrote:

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
GeeDubb wrote:
[...]

That'd be a lot SE....
Gary

Old January 8th 07, 10:20 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

MattB wrote:
10th Mountain Division would have done it on skis!
Snowshoeing has taught me that there's no better way to get around the
snowy backcountry than skiing! Have fun!

I tried the snowshoeing thing once. What a yawner.

JD two sticks

Old January 9th 07, 01:55 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Dean A. Stepper

"GeeDubb" wrote in message
m...

"Dean A. Stepper" wrote in message

"GeeDubb" wrote in message
m...
[...]

When I was riding the Pan Loop on X-Mas, I talked to a couple of pro XC
racers that the day before had started at the Emery Henderson Trailhead and
rode to Boy Scout Loop. They said the Boy Scout Loop was in good shape but
from the Emery Henderson Trailhead up was in bad shape from horse
traffic...rideable but not fun. That was a couple of weeks ago and I am
sure some rain would change things.

Dean

Old January 9th 07, 05:54 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

"Dean A. Stepper" wrote in message

"GeeDubb" wrote in message
m...

"Dean A. Stepper" wrote in message

"GeeDubb" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Thanks for the heads up. I just sent a ? to the BCTA about that section and
also posted a ? on MTBR to see if anybody had ridden it and what shape it's
in. I'm fearing that this trail will be heavily used by horses unless we
get an overwhelming presence of mtb'rs to start using it. The fragile
nature of the soft ground in many places will be difficult to fortify again
the destructive nature of a pack of horses.

Forecasting rain for this weekend, we need it!

Gary