Will fractionalism among cities ever allow functional bike facilities?

Old August 26th 11, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher[_2_]

Default Will fractionalism among cities ever allow functional bike facilities?

Functional bike facilities means that you can go from one end of town to another, but often different cities have different policies and priorities. The end result is that you can't go too far without running into a dead end. You sit at the end of a bike lane and ask, "Where do I go now?"

As you'd imagine that system is tremendously dysfunctional and chaotic. We got two of those impassable bridges around here. You must inquire who owns that bridge first of all, and then press them for answers. After the bridge is another city and so on.

Tell you what, you do something illegal from the bridge, like jumping from it, then wait for the police to find out who owns the bridge.

Anyone has a solution to this problem or is it the revolution?

Old August 26th 11, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

On Friday, August 26, 2011 12:31:08 PM UTC-4, bo peep wrote:
On Aug 26, 8:36 am, "TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher"
wrote:
Functional bike facilities means that you can go from one end of town to another

That is total nonsense - in my entire life, I have met exactly *TWO*
people who were physically capable of doing that, and they were both
hard core, semi-professional athletes. If "real" people are going to
use bikes at all, it will be for accessing their local neigborhoods.

In practical terms 90% of bike trips would be done under 5 miles, but I've gone 20-30 miles just for the fun of it.

Actually I got a campaign that goes "BIKE LOCALLY, BUY LOCALLY" that places emphasis on the bike and community.

The point is that YOU set your limits not the absence of bike facilities.
Old August 27th 11, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

n Friday, August 26, 2011 3:20:36 PM UTC-4, bo peep wrote:
On Aug 26, 12:53 pm, "TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher"
wrote:
In practical terms 90% of bike trips would be done under 5 miles, but I've gone 20-30 miles just for the fun of it.

Your original criteria was "from one end of town to another". Around
here, 20-30 miles *won't* get you there. We are very spread out - the
glory of modern suburbia.

I haven't unleashed my best weapons yet. We got two road bikes READY FOR THE ROAD, but the roads are not ready for us.

Actually we are cut off at less than 2 miles. It's a problem that has more to do with STUPID DESIGN than urban sprawl.
Old August 29th 11, 03:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

writes:
Functional bike facilities means that you can go from one end of
town to another

That is total nonsense - in my entire life, I have met exactly *TWO*
people who were physically capable of doing that, and they were both
hard core, semi-professional athletes. If "real" people are going to
use bikes at all, it will be for accessing their local neigborhoods.

In practical terms 90% of bike trips would be done under 5 miles, but
I've gone 20-30 miles just for the fun of it.

I think it is true that the majority of "everyday" cycling will remain
fairly local, but it seems absurd to say normal people "aren't
physically capable" of riding longer distances (unless the GP lives in
super obese land or something). One of the reasons people like
bicycles is that on flattish ground one can pick the exertion level
one wants, and at lowish speeds, the amount of effort is fairly low.

Most casual cyclists don't ride longer distance because it takes too
long; I think TM's also correct that the inconsistency of bicycle
facilities, making such trips unpleasant in many areas, helps
discourage longer trips.

I agree with TM that if facilities were improved, you would definitely
see a rise in the average trip length -- not end to end in most cases,
but people stretching their range.

Thank you. The solution can only be some state or nationwide strategy to make this a SERIOUS ISSUE. I think we are considered some kind of "joke."

And I don't find it funny.
Old August 30th 11, 05:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

On Monday, August 29, 2011 12:20:41 PM UTC-4, TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher wrote:

Right now I'm off on a long ride with beach cruiser. Yes, single speed because I must negotiate winding, grinding sidewalks. It's a bicycle made by Sun, whose logo is 'REVOLUTIONS FOR THE PLANET.'

No big ride, just some 8 miles one way then a downpour. No dramatic news either, other than a guy that cut me off coming from left rear. Business as usual.

Just as in the jungle, danger is everywhere.
Old August 31st 11, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

On Tuesday, August 30, 2011 10:06:03 PM UTC-4, bo peep wrote:
On Aug 29, 10:20 am, "TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher"

When you get on a bike there's no telling how far you can go. I live in another spread-out city --Miami-- and I can tell you I'm capable of going from one end to the other in one day. I may need the bus coming back, but that's part of the CHOICES --other than the car-- I propose.

Just like I guessed - eastern seaboard. What would you do if you lived
in New Mexico? You might be able to ride all day on I-25 or I-40 in
the 75mph traffic to get to the end of town, but there are no busses
out there to take you home. You can't even get a taxi that far out.

You need to get out of denial and admit that you are seriously ill.

We are analyzing the most crazy traffic in the civilized world, so don't worry about me. Actually our traffic habits and our enforcement reach catastrophic proportions. It's chaos and rage and we --mundane cyclists-- are trying to survive among the big predators behind the wheel, some of whom can crush us by accident.

Analyze the German system: SPEED CAMERAS but no speed limits in select Autobahns. Strict LANE DISCIPLINE. No cars speeding on city streets, overtaking on the right lane where they are most dangerous to others, particularly cyclists. No cell phones. No big trucks endangering others. Highly trained drivers. And bike routes everywhere.

I don't know how in the Wild West you manage to mix 75mph cars and bicycles.. Its fame seems to be well deserved.