Training for Century?

Old August 31st 04, 03:18 AM
Glm

Default Training for Century?

I've been riding for around 7 weeks now, after a break of some 17 years.
I'm now 36 and not totally unfit (although there is still a long way to
go, of course). In the last few weeks I have had several rides of
60+ miles and most of the time seem quite able to average 17-18mph on
shorter routes (longer rides have been tough to measure).

I'm quite keen to work towards a century in the middle of October. It's a
charity ride in New York, which for several reasons is of interest for
me. If I cannot complete the full 100 miles (most likely complaint will
be my lumbar spine, I fear) then I can always take the 60-mile route.

My question is, therefore, what can I do to prepare myself for this? I
used to ride 100 miles most weekends when I was a teenager, but that was
more than 20 years ago and I never really trained for it. Clearly, now my
starting point is significantly lower and so I may need to spend some time
practising!

Further, would it make sense to knock alcohol on the head for a few
weeks? Have already cut it down from 20-odd bottles of wine per week
(*ahem*, let's not go there) to less than 4, but am thinking that perhaps
complete abstinence would make a significant difference?

I have also refrained from starving msyelf during the day only to eat two
tons of food each evening in unhealthy (albeit most salubrious)
restaurants. This is helping my energy levels.

I live in Manhattan and can ride every day, at least for an hour or two.
I can also spend Saturdays and Sundays on the bike.

Any thoughts regarding how I could maximize the value of this time would
be appreciated.

Thank you ever so much.

Glm
Old August 31st 04, 03:58 AM
Ken

Glm wrote in news
I've been riding for around 7 weeks now, after a break of some 17 years.
I'm now 36 and not totally unfit (although there is still a long way
to go, of course). In the last few weeks I have had several rides of
60+ miles and most of the time seem quite able to average 17-18mph on
shorter routes (longer rides have been tough to measure).

If you're already doing regular 60 mile rides, you should have adequate
fitness for a 100 mile ride over the same sort of terrain (similar hills,
etc.). Obviously, if you're only doing flat rides and the century is hilly,
you should do more hill training.

The main difference between a 60 mile ride and a 100 mile ride is nutrition.
You don't need to eat or drink much on a 60 mile ride. You will need to
refuel and rehydrate regularly to reach 100 miles. If you're doing an
organized century ride, there will probably be rest stops every hour or two
with pleanty of food and water for you.

Old August 31st 04, 04:56 AM
Bill Baka

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 02:18:03 GMT, Glm wrote:

snipsnip
Further, would it make sense to knock alcohol on the head for a few
weeks? Have already cut it down from 20-odd bottles of wine per week
(*ahem*, let's not go there) to less than 4, but am thinking that
perhaps complete abstinence would make a significant difference?

It does make a pretty big difference. I stopped drinking completely a
little over a year ago after getting up to 200 pounds on a 5' 7" base.
The fringe benefit was that I lost weight and got into better shape
almost without trying since I was taking in less calories. Alcohol is
kind of like a funny carb that just happens to make you feel better,
for a while at least. I think there are 6 calories per gram (?), so
it is like eating too much.

I have also refrained from starving msyelf during the day only to eat
two tons of food each evening in unhealthy (albeit most salubrious)
restaurants. This is helping my energy levels.

Much better to eat a big breakfast and decent lunch since you can
burn it off during the day. A light dinner will then be all you need
before bed. You should wind up with more energy throughout the day.

I live in Manhattan and can ride every day, at least for an hour or
two. I can also spend Saturdays and Sundays on the bike.

Any thoughts regarding how I could maximize the value of this time
would be appreciated.

Never use elevators, just run up the stairs, at least unless you have
to go to the 50th floor. Also, as this group knows, I advise running
even across the street whenever you can just to get a little workout
on some muscles and get the heart going just a tad quicker.

Thank you ever so much.

Glm

Pedal, pedal, pedal.
Bill Baka

Old August 31st 04, 03:42 PM
Pat

The main difference between a 60 mile ride and a 100 mile ride is

nutrition.
You don't need to eat or drink much on a 60 mile ride. You will need to
refuel and rehydrate regularly to reach 100 miles. If you're doing an
organized century ride, there will probably be rest stops every hour or

two
with pleanty of food and water for you.

I would also add that he needs to stretch at the rest stops after the 60
mile point. Don't think that you can skip the latter rest stops. You need to
get off the bike and use your leg muscles in walking and stretching and give
your back muscles a rest, too. I think you will also find the need to stand
up and get some blood back into your butt more often after the 60 mile point
(while riding). Also, at the 60 or 70 mile point, take a cup from the rest
stop and drink the Gatorade and then take the cup into the Porta Potty with
you. Pee into the cup and have a look at the color of your urine. That will
alert you to whether you are not hydrating enough. If it is dark yellow,
you know you are behind in your hydration.

Pat in TX

Old August 31st 04, 03:52 PM
SlowRider

Glm wrote in message ...
My question is, therefore, what can I do to prepare myself for this? I
used to ride 100 miles most weekends when I was a teenager, but that was
more than 20 years ago and I never really trained for it. Clearly, now my
starting point is significantly lower and so I may need to spend some time
practising!

I recommend using one of the training schedules you can find on the
internet. Doesn't matter if it's from a different ride - the
principles are the same. I did a Google search on "century ride
training schedule pace" and found a suitable schedule from a Wyoming
ride: http://www.cyclewyoming.org/Training.htm. I've also seen some
which include two rest days per week, if you can't ride 6 days.

Further, would it make sense to knock alcohol on the head for a few
weeks? Have already cut it down from 20-odd bottles of wine per week
(*ahem*, let's not go there) to less than 4, but am thinking that perhaps
complete abstinence would make a significant difference?

I like my beer, although 2 is my limit. I think I continued having a
beer or two in the evenings up until 3-4 days before the event, and I
was fine. If you do phase alcohol out entirely, though, you'll rest
better, and that translates to better recovery. A lot of folks will
tell you that recovery is really what training is all about.

I have also refrained from starving msyelf during the day only to eat two
tons of food each evening in unhealthy (albeit most salubrious)
restaurants. This is helping my energy levels.

Good nutrition is a definite benefit and will also aid in recovery.
Since a century ride takes more than 3 hours, you might also look into
carbo-loading: you don't eat a lot more, you just change your ratio of
carbs for 3-4 days prior to the event. This allows you to retain more
water (in fact, if you do it right you're supposed to gain 2-3 pounds)
which your body can then use during the event. Think of it as
nature's Camelback. ;-)

I live in Manhattan and can ride every day, at least for an hour or two.
I can also spend Saturdays and Sundays on the bike.

Any thoughts regarding how I could maximize the value of this time would
be appreciated.

Thank you ever so much.

Good luck! If you prepare adequately, your first century can be an
awesome experience.

JR

Old August 31st 04, 04:15 PM
Roger Zoul

Pat wrote:
::: The main difference between a 60 mile ride and a 100 mile ride is
::: nutrition. You don't need to eat or drink much on a 60 mile ride.
::: You will need to refuel and rehydrate regularly to reach 100 miles.
::: If you're doing an organized century ride, there will probably be
::: rest stops every hour or two with pleanty of food and water for you.
::
:: I would also add that he needs to stretch at the rest stops after
:: the 60 mile point. Don't think that you can skip the latter rest
:: stops. You need to get off the bike and use your leg muscles in
:: walking and stretching and give your back muscles a rest, too. I
:: think you will also find the need to stand up and get some blood
:: back into your butt more often after the 60 mile point (while
:: riding). Also, at the 60 or 70 mile point, take a cup from the rest
:: stop and drink the Gatorade and then take the cup into the Porta
:: Potty with you. Pee into the cup and have a look at the color of
:: your urine. That will alert you to whether you are not hydrating
:: enough. If it is dark yellow, you know you are behind in your
:: hydration.
::
:: Pat in TX

That's an interesting idea, Pat. However, where do you put the cup?

Seriously, I always pee deep dark yellow after my rides - if I pee. It seems
that all of the water I drink goes out the skin and my mouth.

ReL lactate testing / training Andy Coggan Racing 0 July 15th 04 10:18 PM
Tips on top 5 mistakes that trainers make in races Badger_South General 0 May 23rd 04 08:50 PM
Training question Franck Mangin Racing 2 April 7th 04 05:50 AM
3/27 Training Ride Notice: National Multiple Sclerosis Society MS150 The Roadkill Rides 0 March 25th 04 10:24 PM
effect of days off training? Eric Lambi Racing 6 December 23rd 03 03:59 PM