Should I bother with a rain bike?

Old September 6th 04, 01:42 AM

Preston Crawford wrote:

On 2004-09-05, Dan Daniel wrote:
On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 00:54:06 -0500, Preston Crawford

On 2004-09-05, Dan Daniel wrote:

Go somewhere else.

I know I should. It's just sad. We've gone there for so long. They've
literally watched as we've gone from our old selves to our new selves.

And in a way you've watched them go from their old selves to their new
selves....

True.

My
wife from a couch potato to a triathlete. Me from a couch potato to a
cycle commuter. Things have been different in the past. I guess if
anything our mistake is we never upgraded to the $5000 bike. Maybe then we
would have been served better. We've always stuck in the low end, because
that's who we are. Regular people who enjoy bikes, but don't have the
money for the expensive ones.

Funny... if you have five stores, you are going to have to sell a lot
of mid-range bikes to cover the rent. Not smart to be blowing off
your bread and butter customers.

I agree. Another story, while I'm thinking about it. I needed a new wheel
because my rear wheel cracked. They didn't have one at their Beaverton,
Or. store.

Have you tried going down to citybikes on 8th and Ankeny and talking
with them about a used bike? They may have one in that's suitable
for you, and if not you can check back from time to time, as the
inventory changes regularly.

--

-TTFN

-Steven

Old September 6th 04, 04:54 PM
Claire Petersky

Why can't you ride your existing bike in the rain?

Personally, I don't want to have a rain bike. I want one, all-purpose,
ride-to-work, ride club rides, ride a century bike. I want this bike to be
as functional in a November downpour as a sunny Sunday in July. I want it to
be able to accomodate a rack and fenders. I want it to be light, reliable,
and to fit.

I'm begining to think the only place I can get such a bike is to go
custom -- why don't they seem to make these bikes?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old September 6th 04, 05:13 PM
Dan Daniel

http://www.kogswell.com/p.html

Old September 6th 04, 05:17 PM
Preston Crawford

On 2004-09-06, Claire Petersky wrote:
Why can't you ride your existing bike in the rain?

Personally, I don't want to have a rain bike. I want one, all-purpose,
ride-to-work, ride club rides, ride a century bike. I want this bike to be
as functional in a November downpour as a sunny Sunday in July. I want it to
be able to accomodate a rack and fenders. I want it to be light, reliable,
and to fit.

I'm begining to think the only place I can get such a bike is to go
custom -- why don't they seem to make these bikes?

I'm with you, however I do have my reasons. The main reason I wanted a
rain bike is because it was REALLY hard for me to get a road bike to fit
me. My body geometry is such that I need the handlebars raised A LOT. So
my LBS did a real custom job where they replaced the threadless head with
a threaded quill that's at the right angle (don't ask me how they did it,
it was a sterling job), really tall and very short out. It is PERFECTLY
fit to me. And I have road it through 2 winters, but this summer the rim
cracked and my cassette and chain both went bad. So I replaced the back
wheel with a really nice touring wheel. And I replaced the cassette with a
nice cassette. So now I have this VERY nice road bike that's better than
the day I got it. And it fits so well I really don't want to damage it.
And here in Portland, there are even long stretches in the winter and fall
when it doesn't rain anyway (which many people don't realize, but you
probably do, Claire).

So my rationale is that I want to keep my newly upgraded bike in great
shape for the sunny days, which are more frequent than people really
think, and find something else for the rainy days.

Preston
Old September 6th 04, 05:17 PM
Preston Crawford

Old September 6th 04, 06:38 PM
Per Elmsäter

Claire Petersky wrote:
Why can't you ride your existing bike in the rain?

Personally, I don't want to have a rain bike. I want one, all-purpose,
ride-to-work, ride club rides, ride a century bike. I want this bike
to be as functional in a November downpour as a sunny Sunday in July.
I want it to be able to accomodate a rack and fenders. I want it to
be light, reliable, and to fit.

I'm begining to think the only place I can get such a bike is to go
custom -- why don't they seem to make these bikes?

Maybe you're looking for a touring frame? I know a lot of the Randonneurs in
( Paris-Brest-Paris type of riders) our club go for touring bikes. A little
wider tires, 25-30 mm. Room for fenders and whatever it's called when you
need to fasten luggage on the frame.
The bikes are light enough for them to use on clubrides and century rides.
--
Perre