A canadian unicycling association?

Old October 24th 05, 06:04 PM
johnfoss

Default A canadian unicycling association?

jenmichael2000 wrote:
The advantage to having a meet in quebec (same applies to anywhere in
canada) is that it serves to boost the profile of the sport in the
region and will theoretically help the sport grow in popularity more
rapidly than if the meets are always in the same place.

This is only really true if the event gets a lot of mainstream press.
Many uni events don't, and some of our USA national events have flown
under the radar even in the towns where they were held. So in other
words, location is less important than publicity.

Location is handy in terms of being near large populations of riders,
and of course being near to the organizers. That's kind of essential.

As Tom Daniels outlined in the message above, Unicon is a very large
event, like a mini-Olympics. You probably don't want to start with that
because it's much better to have experience first. If you get to meet
with Normand he can probably tell you a lot about Unicon VI, which was
one of my favorite Unicons; very well organized, with great facilities.
They were tied in with Laval University and had access to areas of the
university's infrastructure not often available to our self-run events.
For example, the university printed up thousands of convention posters,
which were plastered all over the city.

--
johnfoss

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old October 24th 05, 09:11 PM
kapoute

hey thanks for all the information guys. As for the two montrealers that
are in unicycling, Ill try to contact them. Im really suprised that we
had 2 Unicon in Quebec. wow !

And for the 27th november, Im really interesting and I think it would
be really cool.

here is my msn and email, maybe we could try to organize something for
the 27th

later

--
kapoute

Damn my english sucks

Julien Renaud
kapoute's Profile:
http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8060

Old October 25th 05, 04:53 AM
jenmichael2000

Yes, definitelly, thank's for the info, and for treating me as somebody
badly in need of information as opposed to a naive idiot Clearly
unicons have come quite away since they were in quebec. Actually, I
am thrilled by what you have told me, and that I have not been
misguided in the grandeur that I have attributed with unicons.

Unicycling must be very popular in japan and for you in the states for
all those elements to have paid for themselves. From your
perspectives, would it be possible for canada to host a unicon again?
There has been talk of expanding on the toque games which are part of
an international bicycle show, and there has been talk of toronto
hosting the olimpics in years to come, so perhaps it could also be a
candidate for a unicon...

John -I have visited your site and seen many of your pictures of
unicons. Do you have any video footage of them or know where I might
get some, or was videotaping not permitted?

As for a canadian association with a meet in quebec, apparently normand
has just returned from his travels and I will be meeting him shortly.
I now have a great deel to chat with him about

--
jenmichael2000
jenmichael2000's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8180

Old October 25th 05, 01:56 PM
kapoute

Cool that would be awesome man

Old October 29th 05, 05:59 AM
Victory

My brother and I would be interested in heading to la belle provaince to
in November especially if it were near Montreal. It'd be great to ride
with some others. (oui05 was our first uni meet and since then we
haven't rode with anyone else since)

--
Victory
Victory's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10062

Old October 29th 05, 10:33 AM
GizmoDuck

flyer wrote:

You need a fair base of people before you can start planning a national
gathering though. You need hundreds of people willing to come, because
not nearly all of them will be able to make it, and .. well, it's crazy
organizing large groups of people. I think you'd need the whole sport
to be a bit more high profile before doing anything on a national
level.

Nonsense- you just need enough people to cover costs of hiring a gym,
promoting etc. And someone motivated enough to run it. The only way
to promote the sport and make it more 'high profile' is to start having
regular meets like conventions, even if only a few people turn up
initially.

We managed to cobble together the NZ Unicycle Federation a year and a
half ago, and it's still early days, but judging from our latest NZUNI
Weekend, the sport is definitely growing. It should be even easier for
you guys in Canada- you have a much larger unicycling and
non-unicycling population to draw upon. Go for it!

Ken

--
GizmoDuck

o-kO
'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/) -
check out my new and improved website
'Laos Unicycle Tour' (http://www.laosunitour.org)
'New Zealand Unicycle Federation' (http://www.unicycle.org.nz)

Old October 29th 05, 03:36 PM
evil-nick

If you Kiwis taught a sheep or two to uni, I'm sure all the rest would
pick it up too!

--
evil-nick

Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total
obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and
through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see
its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will
remain.

* Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.

I'm late for checkers with the Dalai Lama!

My gallery:
http://evil.linuxfreak.ca/uni.html
Our Club:
http://cs.ubishops.ca/~buuc/
evil-nick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6692

Old October 29th 05, 03:47 PM
flyer

I must say, I see your point, Gizmoduck and johnfoss. I guess I'm just
lazy.

I do think that a well-thought-out initiative somewhere in say,
toronto, would be easier to set up and gain much more momentum much
more quickly than something on my little isolated island.

--
flyer
flyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9894

Old October 29th 05, 03:51 PM
kapoute

Victory it will be really nice to ride with you. I live in montreal and
I know 2 other riders so yea

add me on msn or send me an email to

Old October 30th 05, 12:25 AM
GizmoDuck

evil-nick wrote:
If you Kiwis taught a sheep or two to uni, I'm sure all the rest would
pick it up too!

Nuff with the sheep jokes already .

I don't even think we have 20 sheep to every person in NZ anymore.

--
GizmoDuck

o-kO
'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/) -
check out my new and improved website
'Laos Unicycle Tour' (http://www.laosunitour.org)
'New Zealand Unicycle Federation' (http://www.unicycle.org.nz)

Cycling and vegetarianism Preston Crawford General 434 September 25th 04 09:38 PM
Gels vs Gatorade Ken Techniques 145 August 3rd 04 06:56 PM
Quick report on Israel Team to Unicon 12 and unicycling in Israel Jack Halpern Unicycling 3 December 22nd 03 06:14 AM
Work mates just don't get unicycling. Sarah Miller Unicycling 7 September 11th 03 11:10 PM
Protective gear and the image iof unicycling sendhair Unicycling 4 July 15th 03 09:14 PM