A couple of incidents

Old June 12th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default A couple of incidents

I won't write up the whole ride, because the longer rides get tedious,
but here are four incidents from yesterday morning's ride. I set off
early before the sun was high.

Riding down a track between high hedges which met overhead to form a
tunnel. The air is thick with insects, the ground is baked hard, and
full of ridges and bumps waiting to trip the wheel. I take a deep swig
from the mouthpiece of my Camelbak, and suddenly hit a bump. I UPD and
the water spurts out through my nostrils. Yuk!

By the river, I see a gravel and sand beach to my right. I am riding
on the grassy bank, and decide to go for it: a slight drop, then a
little slope, then another little drop, then I'm on to soft shifting
sand and gravel, with only a couple of metres to stop without riding
straight intot he river. All this at right angles to the river, and on
the 700c. It feels great, and impresses the passers by.

Almost back at the car I am getting tired. I hit a sudden dip and UPD.
As I start to fall, I put my hands out and realise I have no wrist
guards on. A sudden burst of adrenaline and I sprint forwards to
regain my balance, twingeing my back in the process.

Back at the car, I compare the GPS and the trip computer. The trip
computer says a max speed of 13 mph; the GPS says 18.8 mph! It is some
time before I realise that the 18 mph must be when I was sprinting to
stop falling!

Oh, and I saw a koala bear fly past. (Easy one there, for you quiz
pickers!)

--
Mikefule

I don't believe there's a conspiracy, because they want us to believe
there is

Old June 12th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Aha, this one's easy: the maximum speed from the GPS might have just
been poor reception. On riding home from Birmingham the other week I
apparently reached 465mph. I was using very short cranks, and I did
have a UPD which launched me forwards, but I don't recall ever going
/quite/ that fast.

Did the koala just swoop by, or did you see it hover? Most impressive
when they do that.

Phil

--
phil

"Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

Old June 12th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Mikefule wrote:

Riding down a track between high hedges which met overhead to form a
tunnel. The air is thick with insects, the ground is baked hard, and
full of ridges and bumps waiting to trip the wheel. I take a deep swig
from the mouthpiece of my Camelbak, and suddenly hit a bump. I UPD and
the water spurts out through my nostrils. Yuk!

This whole thing made me laugh, but this especially. It also reminded
me of the time when I took my camelbak out without putting the valve on
the tube and when I turn it to on, I got much more squirt than I
expected.

Cathy

--
cathwood

Say no to unicycle genre discrimination! - MrBoogiejuice

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

Old June 12th 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

'I saw it too!!' (http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/57/au03_09_.jpg)

--
Jethro

'Bill-a-Blog' (http://www.xanga.com/JustPlainBill)
Jethro's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9413

Old June 12th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Jethro wrote:
'I saw it too!!' (http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/57/au03_09_.jpg)

COOL

--
Probailer2

Originally Posted by john_childs
Mmmmm... Sexy welds.
Probailer2's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11034

Old June 12th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Jethro wrote:
'I saw it too!!' (http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/57/au03_09_.jpg)

This seems to be getting a forbidden error now.

'Let's try this' (http://tinyurl.com/gj6yk)

--
Jethro

'Bill-a-Blog' (http://www.xanga.com/JustPlainBill)
Jethro's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9413

Dang! Outa commission for a couple of weeks. underdog Unicycling 19 November 29th 05 07:09 PM
Incidents today Mikefule Unicycling 6 October 3rd 05 08:36 AM
Questionable R.b.m. behavior last couple months Brett Thompson Marketplace 6 June 12th 05 04:59 AM
Couple questions about bike tires Dan Musicant General 19 July 24th 03 09:56 PM
Couple questions about bike tires Dan Musicant General 3 July 18th 03 08:18 PM