Joys of bike lanes

Old June 10th 11, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Joys of bike lanes

A video on the joys of bike lanes. (And on being ticketed for not
using one.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzE-IMaegzQ

- Frank Krygowski
Old June 10th 11, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Jay Beattie

On Jun 10, 7:47*am, Frank Krygowski wrote:
A video on the joys of bike lanes. (And on being ticketed for not
using one.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzE-IMaegzQ

- Frank Krygowski

He can beat the ticket -- the requirment of riding in a bike lane is
not a suicide pact:

(1) Bicycle riders to use bicycle lanes. Whenever a usable path or
lane for bicycles has been provided, bicycle riders shall use such
path or lane only except under any of the following situations:
(i) When preparing for a turn at an intersection or into a private
road or driveway.
(ii) When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions (including but not
limited to, fixed or moving objects, motor vehicles, bicycles,
pedestrians, pushcarts, animals, surface hazards) that make it unsafe
to continue within such bicycle path or lane.

You don't have to run in to barriers, trucks, pedestrians, etc.,
although I do admire the stunt skills. -- Jay Beattie.

Old June 10th 11, 06:05 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Default Joys of riding bike on sidewalk

On Jun 10, 10:47 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:
A video on the joys of bike lanes. (And on being ticketed for not
using one.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzE-IMaegzQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k00bEZJ0-E

It's not that I agree with it, but sometimes you gotta do what it
takes to survive.

One big issue I have against it is those drivers that ignore you
coming out of driveways or blocking the pedestrian x-ing at
intersections. Perhaps you should practice your BMX skills and jump
over the car.

The video says, "sidewalks are pedestrian deserts," which is true, but
sometimes you find one that won't move. The real challenge is when
both of you won't fit and must become a pedestrian yourself. Then you
start wondering if bicycling is worth it after all.

If you take it as "challenging path" though, you may start
experiencing the "joys of riding on sidewalk."

I'm back from one of those "joy rides"!

Old June 10th 11, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
(PeteCresswell)

Per Frank Krygowski:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzE-IMaegzQ

Either that guy is a professional stunt man/acrobat or he's a
wizard with some kind of video editor.
--
PeteCresswell
Old June 10th 11, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jun 10, 11:05*am, Jay Beattie wrote:
[...]

It sounds like he could have beaten the ticket. Will it still be
beatable if he's already made the mistake of sending in the money?

And BTW, being able to beat an unjust ticket only slightly reduces the
huge inconvenience to a cyclist. We shouldn't have to spend time and
money to battle false charges.

We need true and practical rights to the road, not merely to the
roadside ghetto.

- Frank Krygowski
Old June 11th 11, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Jay Beattie

On Jun 10, 2:15*pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Typically, you send in the money and make a plea -- it is considered
"bail." If you don't contest the charge, you forfeit the money or
some part of it. Some functionary somewhere decides the fine.

Yes, it is a PITA, but that can be changed with a little legislation.
In many places (as you know) the requirement or riding in the bike
lane does not apply if you are traveling the speed of traffic, which
you can probably do anywhere in midtown NYC. I've driven on Manhattan
but never ridden there, so I don't know what it's like, but I would
think that you would want to be out of traffic since it is moving so
slowly. And if you just made the roads wider, someone would park
there. I could see bike lanes being beneficial in NYC, and with a
little tweaking of the traffic laws to allow (if not already allowed)
riding in traffic at the speed of traffic, then all would be good.
-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 11th 11, 03:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tºm Shermªn °_°

On 6/10/2011 7:59 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Jun 10, 2:15�pm, Frank wrote:
On Jun 10, 11:05�am, Jay wrote:

On Jun 10, 7:47�am, Frank wrote:

[...]

Always wondered why NYC's much touted "crackdown" on minor violations
did not include towing double parked vehicles.

Or having a mobile crusher deal with them.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old June 11th 11, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Steve Freides[_2_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:

And BTW, being able to beat an unjust ticket only slightly reduces the
huge inconvenience to a cyclist. We shouldn't have to spend time and
money to battle false charges.

Our legal system isn't perfect - getting charged with something is a
royal pain in the behind, even if you didn't do it, and it costs you
time and money to defend yourself. I agree it would be nice if that
weren't the case, but I also agree that it would be nice if someone gave
me a lot of money with no strings attached - both are equally likely,
IMHO.

-S-

Old June 11th 11, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Steve Freides[_2_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
A video on the joys of bike lanes. (And on being ticketed for not
using one.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzE-IMaegzQ

- Frank Krygowski

I really enjoyed (if that's the right word) watching that video - he
makes the point and makes it well.

-S-

Old June 11th 11, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Dan O

On Jun 11, 1:10 pm, "Steve Freides" wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
A video on the joys of bike lanes. (And on being ticketed for not
using one.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzE-IMaegzQ

- Frank Krygowski

I really enjoyed (if that's the right word) watching that video - he
makes the point and makes it well.

Is that the video with the guy running into trach cans? (No Flash
available to watch it ATM) That was just dumb. The bike lane does
not force anyone to run into anything.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082340/