More cyclists own cars than do non cyclists

Old January 31st 12, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Default More cyclists own cars than do non cyclists

QUOTE:

Olympic champion cyclist and Team Sky star Geraint Thomas has been
recruited, along with other GB riders, to front a campaign called
‘Let’s clear the air’ that is to be launched jointly by British
Cycling and car maker Fiat, its official vehicle supplier.

According to the trade website BikeBiz, the campaign aims to "to
improve relations between cyclists and motorists on the road." It is
timed to run alongside the relaunch of the Fiat Punto. One model in
the new range, the GBT (pictured) comes with a year’s membership of
British Cycling thrown in.

Thomas, who is alternating between the road and the track in the build-
up to the London Olympics, where he aims to retain the team pursuit
gold medal he helped Great Britain win at Beijing four years ago,
spoke about his involvement in the initiative in a column for the
newspaper Metro last week.

“Off the bike I’ve been working on a campaign with Fiat trying to
improve relations between cyclists and motorists on the road – to
prove we’re not guys in Lycra who don’t pay taxes,” he said – although
BikeBiz points out that Fiat too was until recently of incorporating
the incorrect term ‘road tax’ in its print adverts.

Thomas added: “Most cyclists own cars too, so we all need to try and
get along!” In fact, market research has shown that regular cyclists
are more likely than average to have more than one car in their
household, while according to the Department for Transport’s National
Travel Survey, 83 per cent of cyclists own a car, compared to 82 per
cent of non-cyclists.

Fiat’s UK website has a page dedicated to its backing of the governing
body, where it says it is “lining up some exclusive offers for British
Cycling members.” As yet, there’s no details of what those might be,
although members are encouraged to sign up for updates.

In the past, Fiat was the official vehicle supplier to both the Tour
de France and the Giro d’Italia – which last year began in the Italian
marque’s home city of Turin – a role now undertaken by Volkswagen-
owned Skoda.

News of Fiat and British Cycling’s joint campaign comes in the same
week as the US arm of German car manufacturer Volkswagen unveiled a
partnership with national cycling advocacy group, Bikes Belong.

http://road.cc/content/news/51341-ge...-road-campaign

--
Simon Mason
Old January 31st 12, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill[_3_]

[...]

http://road.cc/content/news/51341-ge...ront-fiat-and-...

Some of us just like to get around. I'm working on a negative carbon
inboard engine boat. The more you look for fish the lower / more
negative your carbon footprint.

Bret Cahill

Old January 31st 12, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 31/01/2012 12:11, Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

What does 'Bikebiz' [WTMB] say is "incorrec t" about it?

Does 'Bikebiz' rally arrogant enough to claim to know better and to be more
authoritative than the majority who understand the term perfectly well?
Old January 31st 12, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

On Jan 31, 7:20*pm, JNugent wrote:
[...]

It is offensive.

---------------------------------

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what
you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Old February 1st 12, 02:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Partac[_7_]

"Simon Mason" wrote in message

Thomas added: “Most cyclists own cars too, so we all need to try and
get along!” In fact, market research has shown that regular cyclists
are more likely than average to have more than one car in their
household, while according to the Department for Transport’s National
Travel Survey, 83 per cent of cyclists own a car, compared to 82 per
cent of non-cyclists.

For F***'s sake don't tell Doug - he will be suicidal if he hears this.

Old February 1st 12, 05:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Feb 1, 2:05*am, "Partac" wrote:
"Simon Mason" *wrote in message

Thomas added: “Most cyclists own cars too, so we all need to try and
get along!” In fact, market research has shown that regular cyclists
are more likely than average to have more than one car in their
household, while according to the Department for Transport’s National
Travel Survey, 83 per cent of cyclists own a car, compared to 82 per
cent of non-cyclists.

For F***'s sake don't tell Doug - he will be suicidal if he hears this.

So will Bodge Job.
The majority of people who pay vehicle excise duty are cyclists!
And they are not wearing out the roads they have "paid for"either.

--
Simon Mason
Old February 1st 12, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On Feb 1, 2:05*am, "Partac" wrote:
"Simon Mason" *wrote in message

Thomas added: “Most cyclists own cars too, so we all need to try and
get along!” In fact, market research has shown that regular cyclists
are more likely than average to have more than one car in their
household, while according to the Department for Transport’s National
Travel Survey, 83 per cent of cyclists own a car, compared to 82 per
cent of non-cyclists.

For F***'s sake don't tell Doug - he will be suicidal if he hears this.

I am already well aware of this and how the polluting and dangerous
car-culture pervades and infests virtually every aspect of our
society. It is what can be described as a 'democratic mob' where might
is right and minorities like real cyclists are treated as second-class
citizens and made to take the blame for the deaths and injuries
inflicted upon them by motorists.

-- .
One person's managed democracy is another person's Aristotleian mob.
Old February 1st 12, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 01/02/2012 05:13, Simon Mason wrote:
On Feb 1, 2:05 am, wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message

Thomas added: “Most cyclists own cars too, so we all need to try and
get along!” In fact, market research has shown that regular cyclists
are more likely than average to have more than one car in their
household, while according to the Department for Transport’s National
Travel Survey, 83 per cent of cyclists own a car, compared to 82 per
cent of non-cyclists.

For F***'s sake don't tell Doug - he will be suicidal if he hears this.

So will Bodge Job.
The majority of people who pay vehicle excise duty are cyclists!
And they are not wearing out the roads they have "paid for"either.

--
Simon Mason

Did I miss something, where did it say that the majority of people who
pay VED are cyclists?
Old February 2nd 12, 04:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Feb 1, 2:05 am, *wrote:
"Simon Mason" *wrote in message

Thomas added: “Most cyclists own cars too, so we all need to try and
get along!” In fact, market research has shown that regular cyclists
are more likely than average to have more than one car in their
household, while according to the Department for Transport’s National
Travel Survey, 83 per cent of cyclists own a car, compared to 82 per
cent of non-cyclists.

For F***'s sake don't tell Doug - he will be suicidal if he hears this..

So will Bodge Job.
The majority of people who pay vehicle excise duty are cyclists!
And they are not wearing out the roads they have "paid for"either.

--
Simon Mason

Did I miss something, where did it say that the majority of people who
pay VED are cyclists?- Hide quoted text -

If the majority of car owners are also cyclists then it stands to
reason that they will pay the most in VED unless they SORN them all
the day after they have paid their fee.

--
Simon Mason

Old February 2nd 12, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jon[_5_]

On Jan 31, 12:11*pm, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE:
according to the Department for Transport’s National
Travel Survey, 83 per cent of cyclists own a car, compared to 82 per
cent of non-cyclists.

Is that actually a percentage of adult cyclists?