A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Another nasty holiday season on RBT

Old January 19th 19, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Another nasty holiday season on RBT

On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 12:50:14 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/19/2019 3:29 PM, wrote:
On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 9:46:59 AM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 8:43:46 AM UTC-8, Mark J. wrote:
On 1/18/2019 8:02 AM,
wrote:
On Thursday, January 17, 2019 at 5:31:41 PM UTC-8, John B. Slocomb wrote:
For Heaven's sake! Tom is an old man, who is in ill health and suffers
from brain damage. The thought that he is going to beat anyone up is
just another one of his fantasies, like flying around in the bomb bay
of airplanes at 5,000 feet over Vietnam.

And yet that is what happened. But then since you've done so little you wouldn't understand that life is strange and wonderful. The tail gunner in a B52D is actually in the tail. The way to get from the back pressurized compartment to the front is via a very narrow 6" wide shelf. The only way to do this is to put one knee in front of the other and scoot along while holding yourself on the shelf by slipping two fingers per hand between the gap in the vertical and horizontal ribs of the aircraft. On the ground this is scary since you're at least 10' above the bottom of the bomb bays. Because of the curvature of the hull you have to lean your body out over the bays so not many people would do that.

The A/C asked me to go to the gunner's position to find out what the heck was wrong with him since he sounded like he was going nuts. It turned out to be nothing since he was just watching the SAMs bursting around us.

So I went back there before the bomb run and came back after the bomb run. You cannot breath the air above 10,000 feet and remain conscious.

Funny that I've done it at least six times on a bicycle. Is it when you
don't have a bicycle handy that you lose consciousness?

Riding across the US, I went over Hoosier Pass in Colorado at 11,500 and remained conscious -- and in fact felt pretty peppy. More recently, however, I almost passed out riding in Utah at 10,715 -- but only because I was trying to keep up with my son. The grade wasn't that bad -- just long.
https://bbrelje.wordpress.com/2013/0...ghway-cycling/

Time for a ride in the fog!

-- Jay Beattie.

People raised at or near sea level usually have altitude sickness at 10,000 ft or higher. This is medical fact so why are you guys trying to deny it?

Are you trying to deny that you said "You cannot breath the air above
10,000 feet and remain conscious"?

--
- Frank Krygowski

Tell you what Frank - why don't you take a balloon ride up to above 10,000 feet and we will all attend your wake. I also said that people acclimated to it can live at 19,000 feet, do you want to try that?

Are you denying that aircraft are ALWAYS pressurized above 10,000 and that if they lose pressurization that oxygen masks automatically deploy?

Hell, I can be cool too like Jay - I did the death ride two or three times and that tops out around 9,000 feet. When is Jay planning on doing that to show how wrong I am?
Ads
Old January 19th 19, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 1/19/2019 1:59 PM, wrote:
On Friday, January 18, 2019 at 5:57:00 PM UTC-8, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 16:55:35 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Friday, January 18, 2019 at 4:01:23 PM UTC-8, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 08:02:29 -0800 (PST),
wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 00:56:04 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:
jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, January 17, 2019 at 1:33:53 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 8:42:52 PM UTC-8, Ralph Barone wrote:
jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 4:04:05 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 7:25:47 AM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 9:56:58 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 2:15:27 AM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 5:06:44 AM UTC-5, Andre Jute wrote:

-snip just oodles of text-

Sitting in a meeting with some of the world's best engineers and chemists. the engineers said that making a chemical assay machine required two IBM supercomputers. At the time these were $3 Million apiece. I said, "I can do it with a micro processor." I delivered ahead of schedule and below budget so if you said, "It's him or me" you would have been shown the door immediately.

-final snip-

That would be around 1990 right? Sounds familiar.

My brother's medical research imaging lab building included
a full floor for a Cray with cooling systems. He changed the
whole department over to some mini processors in parallel
which by then outperformed a supercomputer for graphics
rendering.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old January 19th 19, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 12:29:11 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On 1/18/2019 8:02 AM, wrote:

And yet that is what happened. But then since you've done so little you wouldn't understand that life is strange and wonderful. The tail gunner in a B52D is actually in the tail. The way to get from the back pressurized compartment to the front is via a very narrow 6" wide shelf. The only way to do this is to put one knee in front of the other and scoot along while holding yourself on the shelf by slipping two fingers per hand between the gap in the vertical and horizontal ribs of the aircraft. On the ground this is scary since you're at least 10' above the bottom of the bomb bays. Because of the curvature of the hull you have to lean your body out over the bays so not many people would do that.

The A/C asked me to go to the gunner's position to find out what the heck was wrong with him since he sounded like he was going nuts. It turned out to be nothing since he was just watching the SAMs bursting around us.

So I went back there before the bomb run and came back after the bomb run. You cannot breath the air above 10,000 feet and remain conscious.

Riding across the US, I went over Hoosier Pass in Colorado at 11,500 and remained conscious -- and in fact felt pretty peppy. More recently, however, I almost passed out riding in Utah at 10,715 -- but only because I was trying to keep up with my son. The grade wasn't that bad -- just long.

-- Jay Beattie.

People raised at or near sea level usually have altitude sickness at 10,000 ft or higher. This is medical fact so why are you guys trying to deny it?

Is it your pretense that aircraft are NOT pressurized above 10,000 feet? Jumping in with both feet with that fool Slocumb?

Altitude sickness is not passing out from lack of O2. It's feeling like **** and throwing up or almost throwing up. For me, mild SOB is the least of my problems when it comes to altitude sickness.

I've had mild altitude sickness coming from PDX and skiing at the top of Snowbird or Alta, which is 11,000. It gets worse with effort/dehydration. The worst altitude sickness I ever had was doing a speed climb up Mt. Adams with my wife and some friends. https://alpenglowsports.files.wordpr...adams-jpeg.jpg I decided to go full blast up the face below the false summit -- that step near the top. I about lost my lunch and felt like crap for the last section up to the real summit. Adams is not that high, so breathing was never a real issue. BTW, the great part about that climb is you can glissade down a butt-made bobsled chute much of the way back, braking now and then with an ice ax to avoid flying out of the chute. I ended up wearing a hole through my snow pants. I'll go from zero feet to 7,500 tomorrow morning for skiing, and I won't even register the change except for ear popping -- maybe a little SOB with hard effort, but that elevation gain doesn't make me sick.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 19th 19, 10:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb
external usenet poster

On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 12:29:09 -0800 (PST), wrote:

wrote:

-- Jay Beattie.

Is it your pretense that aircraft are NOT pressurized above 10,000 feet? Jumping in with both feet with that fool Slocumb?

Tom, I worked at the Freeport copper mine, in Indonesia, where the
maintenence facality was located at 10,000 ft. The actual open pit
mining was higher.

Your problem Tom, other then the lies that you tell, is the fact that
you continue to talk about things that you know nothing about.
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old January 19th 19, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.
external usenet poster

On 1/19/2019 10:21 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/19/2019 11:43 AM, Mark J. wrote:

So I went back there before the bomb run and came back after the bomb
run. You cannot breath the air above 10,000 feet and remain conscious.

Funny that I've done it at least six times on a bicycle.Â* Is it when
you don't have a bicycle handy that you lose consciousness?

I didn't ride it, but I saw bicycle tourists climbing Trail Ridge Road
in Rocky Mountain National Park, riding with full panniers. That one
goes over 12,000 feet.

I think the effect of altitude varies quite a bit from person to person.
I felt lightheaded just walking around the visitor center up there.

Trail Ridge Road was one of the six I was thinking of, and yes, we were
on our tandem with a full camping load, in 1984. Oh to be young again.

We lived in Colorado for two years. The other 10,000+ climbs were
Hoosier that Jay noted (three times for me), Independence, and a dirt
dead end road near Colorado Springs that ended at a ?microwave relay?
station at the mountaintop.

Colorado College, where I taught, had an annual end-of-September student
bike trip to Aspen, over Independence Pass (12,095 feet). I didn't do
that one, but reportedly lots of students did.

Funny you mention the lightheadedness. I never had that on the bike,
but when my brother came to visit, we took the cog railway to the top of
Pike's Peak. Granted that is 14,000+, but I felt distinctly woozy
getting out of the train, and it really startled me, after feeling fine
at 12,000 on the bike. I suspect it was because the cardiovascular
system was far from revved up.

Oh, and for Tom's benefit, note I was raised near sea level in an LA suburb.

Mark J.

Old January 19th 19, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb
external usenet poster

On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 15:50:10 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 1/19/2019 3:29 PM, wrote:
wrote:

-- Jay Beattie.

Be assured that he won't deny it. But he will make an end run around
the fact and change the subject :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old January 19th 19, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 11:37:25 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Friday, January 18, 2019 at 5:15:51 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
On Friday, January 18, 2019 at 11:55:49 PM UTC, wrote:

Frank was a teacher.

Frank's a jumped-up welder.

Yet he has extremely limited understanding of statistical analysis and economics so why should he be offering almost entirely incorrect opinions thereupon?

You're giving Franki-boy altogether too much credit, Tom. Krygowski's knowledge of statistic analysis and interpretation is would be zero if he kept his mouth shut. But since he can't keep his mouth shut, and does damage to cause he tries to promote with statistics, we must conclude that his understanding of statistics is a negative quality. Here's an example: Franki-boy is always going on about how cycling is safer than a lot of people believe. He offered some numbers in proof. I went to the same sources, did a proper analysis, and discovered that ***cycling is even safer than Franki-boy Krygowski claimed!*** What a ******. Of course the ungracious clown didn't thank me for saving him from his ignorance: instead he pretends that I see danger to cyclists where there is none. That's not all, Franki-boy knows he's incompetent to handle sampling statistics (and so he should be -- it's been pointed out to him often enough), so, if you bring an irrefutable case to RBT, he claims he isn't reading your post, even while commenting on them with a flow of ad hominem. A good example is a study of all accidents in which bicyclists were involved in New York, not a sampling study, an actual head count of all those referred to accident and emergency: absolutely irrefutable evidence that one of the biggest bees in Franki-boy's bonnet can't find its way back to the hive. But Franki-boy absolutely refuses to discuss the study or even to admit it exists. So, in consideration of these three points, I would say that Krygowski is useless with statistics, he knows he's useless with statistic, and he uses statistics to bully, to baffle, and to lie.

The basis of our disagreement was not because they are liberal but because they THINK they are liberal without even knowing the modern definition of that.

Oh, I'm sure that Franki-boy and Slow Johnny and the several nasty anonymous emanations of the thief Peter Howard currently infesting RBT would be shocked if one explained to them why they are cultural Marxists. I don't know about Jay -- he's probably smart enough to understand that these clowns can't ever build anything, can only sneer and jeer and if there are enough of them destroy something they couldn't ever build -- but he runs with the crowd because it isn't worth the energy to stand up to the mob. They come and they go and there's no shortage of petty little men overflowing with envy, resentment and pure pointless malice to take their places. Rational people, with all the will in the world, cannot hope to stay ahead of assholes with opinions on everything.

Andre Jute
To think I welcomed the net as a voice for everyman outwith the editorial control of the intellectual elite. Just goes to show even I can be diametrically wrong.

It almost knocked me over when he showed some dumb article about how every president increased the national debt! He is totally unaware that the debt consists of Debt Held By the Public and Intergovernmental Holdings.

For the end of Reagan and part of H.W. and the entire 8 years of Clinton and the first year of George W that the Debt Held By The Pubic - the actual debt was being paid down.

The "increase" in the national debt was no such thing. It was an increase in Intergovernmental Holdings which isn't a debt at all - it is the Social Security and Medicare Trust Funds. Neither Frank, Jay or John know anything about this. Jay even believes that you don't have an investment in your own Social Security!

I don't believe. I know it, as do most other people -- except you. https://www.cbpp.org/research/social...ty-trust-funds

I'm self-employed and pay both sides of FICA/FUTA and have for 25 years. I'm supporting people like you -- the SS welfare kings!

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 19th 19, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.
external usenet poster

On 1/19/2019 2:21 PM, Mark J. wrote:

So I went back there before the bomb run and came back after the
bomb run. You cannot breath the air above 10,000 feet and remain
conscious.

goes over 12,000 feet.

I think the effect of altitude varies quite a bit from person to
person. I felt lightheaded just walking around the visitor center up
there.

on our tandem with a full camping load, in 1984.Â* Oh to be young again.

We lived in Colorado for two years.Â* The other 10,000+ climbs were

bike trip to Aspen, over Independence Pass (12,095 feet).Â* I didn't do

Funny you mention the lightheadedness.Â* I never had that on the bike,
Pike's Peak.Â* Granted that is 14,000+, but I felt distinctly woozy
at 12,000 on the bike.Â* I suspect it was because the cardiovascular

Oh, and for Tom's benefit, note I was raised near sea level in an LA
suburb.

Mark J.

Oh, and I left out Monarch, 11,312 ft. So that's seven times.

Mark J.
Old January 19th 19, 10:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb
external usenet poster

On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 13:24:16 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 12:50:14 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/19/2019 3:29 PM,
wrote:
wrote:

-- Jay Beattie.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Tell you what Frank - why don't you take a balloon ride up to above 10,000 feet and we will all attend your wake. I also said that people acclimated to it can live at 19,000 feet, do you want to try that?

Are you denying that aircraft are ALWAYS pressurized above 10,000 and that if they lose pressurization that oxygen masks automatically deploy?

Ah but Tom, You said, and I quote, " You cannot breath the air above
10,000 feet and remain conscious", and now you are singing a different
song... so either(1) you told a lie when you said that, or (2) you are
lying now... which one?

Oh yes, you say "that aircraft are ALWAYS pressurized above 10,000
ft". Tain't so. During the Korean war B-29's made many of their
bombing runs unpressurized, above 10,000 ft as the dangers from what
was called explosive decompression (getting a hole blown in the
fuselage) was thought to be more dangerous then using oxygen.

Hell, I can be cool too like Jay - I did the death ride two or three times and that tops out around 9,000 feet. When is Jay planning on doing that to show how wrong I am?

--

Cheers,

John B.
Old January 19th 19, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 2:21:36 PM UTC-8, Mark J. wrote:

So I went back there before the bomb run and came back after the bomb
run. You cannot breath the air above 10,000 feet and remain conscious..

goes over 12,000 feet.

I think the effect of altitude varies quite a bit from person to person..
I felt lightheaded just walking around the visitor center up there.

on our tandem with a full camping load, in 1984. Oh to be young again.

We lived in Colorado for two years. The other 10,000+ climbs were

bike trip to Aspen, over Independence Pass (12,095 feet). I didn't do

Funny you mention the lightheadedness. I never had that on the bike,
Pike's Peak. Granted that is 14,000+, but I felt distinctly woozy
at 12,000 on the bike. I suspect it was because the cardiovascular

The wooziness is what I think of as altitude sickness which is different from SOB. I liked the Colorado climbs I did because they were fairly low angle, and the total elevation gain was not that great because I was starting so high. I never did Mt. Evans or Pikes Peak or the really high climbs. BTW, I used to ride with Mike Engleman who won the Mt. Evans hill climb. I rode with him before he turned pro, but even then, he was pretty amazing.

-- Jay Beattie.