The "great mental ward of the Pacific Northwest"

Old January 21st 19, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default The "great mental ward of the Pacific Northwest"

On Sunday, January 20, 2019 at 2:47:18 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, January 20, 2019 at 1:22:07 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sunday, January 20, 2019 at 10:47:51 AM UTC-8, Zen Cycle wrote:
On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 9:34:38 PM UTC-5, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 15:27:19 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 5:57:25 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
From a reporter who was actually the
"The kettle-corn girl is but one of many madcap escapees from the great mental ward of the Pacific Northwest out here making strange noises on the mean streets of downtown Portland on Election Night 2018, and her ecstatic om mani padme hum devotional to kettle corn is soon drowned out as her thuggish black-masked comrades begin their more straightforward and politically meaningful and considerably more comprehensible chant:"

Read the rest of Williamson's report at
https://www.nationalreview.com/magaz...treets-indeed/

On ABC Morning news the other day they said that the most dangerous city in the country was Seattle. They said that it was 250 times more dangerous than San Francisco and 400 times more dangerous than New York.

Funny, you know.

NBC News has a different listing;
Based on the FBI's Uniform Crime Report, 24/7 Wall St. identified the
10 U.S. cities with populations of 100,000 or more with the highest
rates of violent crime per 1,000 residents.
https://www.nbcnews.com/businessmain...america-832351

Flint, Mich.
Violent crimes per 1,000: 23.4

Detroit, Mich.
Violent crimes per 1,000: 21.4

St. Louis, Mo.
Violent crimes per 1,000: 18.6

Oakland, Calif.
Violent crimes per 1,000: 16.8

Memphis, Tenn.
Violent crimes per 1,000: 15.8

As Seattle wasn't mentioned I looked it up on another site and it
seems that Violent Crimes per 100,000 amounted to 633, or 6.33/1,000
as per above
https://www.areavibes.com/seattle-wa/crime/

Well, I sure as hell haven't discovered where those kinds of statistics came from. Though looking at all of the crime statistics Seattle IS the most dangerous city of any size in the entire country. By something like 2:1 or more.

Portland, OR, as I suspected, is only slightly behind this with a MUCH higher crime rate than San Francisco which is so high that most people don't go out alone unless they're carrying. This is why gun battles are so common now - it used to be intergang violence but is getting to be "that guy ****ed me off" and the gun was handy and speaks much louder than words.

So much for moving to the Pacific Northwest which used to be some of the nicer parts of the country.

Once again Tom has demonstrated that it is better to keep one's mouth
close and be thought a fool then to open it and prove it.

Cheers,
John B.

what do you expect? he thinks the viet cong surrendered.

And you're stupid enough not to know the difference between violent crime rates and crime rates. They had a 16% reduction in crime in San Francisco. How did they achieve a rate that large in a year? They put out patrol cars in the areas that cars part and they have break-ins to parked cars. So now they can brag about large reductions in crime when there was only a small drop in violent crimes and THAT was almost entirely due to people being able to get jobs under Trump. When you have something to lose you don't take chances. Even my nephew who was delusional from using Meth has dried out and is going to get a job - hopefully. If California would ever stop chasing people and jobs out of the state.

Talk about crime, the number of people at Mt. Hood Meadows was heinous! We made it a short ski day because of my son's reconstructed ankles causing him pain. I'm going out for a short ride so I can say I rode and skied today, plus I need to track down a noise on my Synapse. I think it might be as mundane as two CO2 cartridges banging against each other in my seat pack.

-- Jay Beattie.

Epilogue: the sound that I thought was the BB was in fact a Keo Max pedal axle assembly (left) that had unscrewed from the body, and the body was slightly loose. I don't know why, and you can't really reef on the retaining ring without end loading the bearing. If it happens again, I'll throw some Loctite of the appropriate type.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 21st 19, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/20/2019 7:47 PM, jbeattie wrote:

Epilogue: the sound that I thought was the BB was in fact a Keo Max pedal axle assembly (left) that had unscrewed from the body, and the body was slightly loose. I don't know why, and you can't really reef on the retaining ring without end loading the bearing. If it happens again, I'll throw some Loctite of the appropriate type.

Jay, that post was pretty close to being bike tech. Are you sure you're
in the right newsgroup?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 21st 19, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, January 20, 2019 at 6:00:58 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/20/2019 7:47 PM, jbeattie wrote:

Epilogue: the sound that I thought was the BB was in fact a Keo Max pedal axle assembly (left) that had unscrewed from the body, and the body was slightly loose. I don't know why, and you can't really reef on the retaining ring without end loading the bearing. If it happens again, I'll throw some Loctite of the appropriate type.

Jay, that post was pretty close to being bike tech. Are you sure you're
in the right newsgroup?

I slipped. So many things can sound like a BB problem, from pedals to rear dropout/axle interface. I have a Thompson seat post that can make a ton of noise.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 21st 19, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, January 20, 2019 at 4:47:45 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, January 20, 2019 at 2:47:18 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, January 20, 2019 at 1:22:07 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sunday, January 20, 2019 at 10:47:51 AM UTC-8, Zen Cycle wrote:
On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 9:34:38 PM UTC-5, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 15:27:19 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 5:57:25 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
From a reporter who was actually the
[...]

It would be nice if you could get the industrial type that doesn't "lock" the threads with glue but just makes it hard to remove. Since you have to use that plastic wrench commercial locktite can strip it.
Old January 21st 19, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/21/2019 10:29 AM, wrote:
[...]

You can easily get Loctite 242 at Lowes, Home Depot, Autozone, Pep Boys
and a hundred other places.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/LOCTITE-Mul...esive/50083054

Similar stuff is available under different brand names, too.

BTW (more technical discussion!!!) I know that Loctite makes a purple
thread locker that's requires even less torque to remove, but I've never
seen it in a store. Maybe industrial supply houses carry it? I wonder if
anyone here has ever used it. It's supposed to be appropriate for soft
aluminum.

Years ago, one of my graduates went to work for Loctite and returned to
do a presentation on the stuff to one of our classes. He gave me what
seems to be a lifetime supply of various unusual compounds - for
example, "gasket eliminator," "press fit repair," "Pneumatic-hydraulic
sealant" etc.

But no purple.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 21st 19, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, January 21, 2019 at 8:19:15 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/21/2019 10:29 AM, wrote:
[...]

After you said that the first time, I went down and bought a tube. It is blue and very liquid and is exactly like the red thread locker and not the rubbery stuff that is on the factory parts.
Old January 21st 19, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 1/21/2019 10:29 AM, wrote:
[...]

Look recommended Loctite 480 for replacing the axles as part of the 2004-2005 pedal recall. https://www.lookcycle.com/keorecall/...nstruction.pdf

The Keo 2 Max can be serviced with a 19mm box wrench. The axle lock nut has a 5nm torque value, and a bad wrench fitting can mung the plastic faces even at that low torque.

I think I still heard the clunk riding to work this morning. I took the nice bike to do a ride later.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 21st 19, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 1/21/2019 10:29 AM, wrote:
[...]

Do you find that the Keo supports your foot as well as the Delta does? I have a hard enough time hitting the Delta trying to get across crowded intersections.
Old January 21st 19, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 1/21/2019 10:29 AM, wrote:
[...]

Yes. I had some first generation Keos that seemed small, but the Maxs have a bigger platform which gives you a larger target for flipping the pedal to get in. As for foot support, its hard to judge with really stiff CF soles, but I think the Maxs give me as much support as an old Delta. I can get hot-foot with any pedal because of shoe fit and forces through the metatarsals and haven't really correlated it to pedal size. I can get hotfoot in my ski boots some days.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 21st 19, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

:
[...]

222. It's available at amazon. I've got a tube in my toolbox (or
had, haven't seen it in a while. haven't looked either), which I went
to some trouble to find, eventually getting it from a dealer parts
department (I forget which brand of car, but it was in their
catalog, and in stock).
I got it to deal with carb adjustment screws on a packard that
wouldn't stay put. Nothing to put load on the threads meant they
vibrated out of adjustment.

I also used it to fix a pair of glasses, where the temple screws kept
coming loose.

--
sig 109