A NEW Way To Spend Money !

Old June 4th 19, 06:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default A NEW Way To Spend Money !

We are excited to announce that production versions of the Kindernay
XIV, our hydraulically operated 14 speed internal gear hub, are finally
available to order!

http://www.kindernay.com/

Go on! I dare you to look at the price...

Nice idea though. The key point is to separate the hub from the wheel,
allowing the hub to be moved between wheels relatively easily.
Old June 4th 19, 06:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Tosspot wrote:
We are excited to announce that production versions of the Kindernay
XIV, our hydraulically operated 14 speed internal gear hub, are finally
available to order!

http://www.kindernay.com/

Go on! I dare you to look at the price...

Nice idea though. The key point is to separate the hub from the wheel,
allowing the hub to be moved between wheels relatively easily.

Nice concept. The spoke holder assembly looks a bit flimsy to my eyes, but
I’m not a mechanical engineer. On the plus side, converting from Kroner to
Canadian dollars drops a significant figure off the price.

Old June 4th 19, 08:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 1:16:12 AM UTC-4, Tosspot wrote:
We are excited to announce that production versions of the Kindernay
XIV, our hydraulically operated 14 speed internal gear hub, are finally
available to order!

http://www.kindernay.com/

Go on! I dare you to look at the price...

Nice idea though. The key point is to separate the hub from the wheel,
allowing the hub to be moved between wheels relatively easily.

$1,493.69 Canadian or with the rear rim build $1,707.60 Canadian.

Cheers
Old June 5th 19, 05:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 8:48:59 AM UTC+1, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 1:16:12 AM UTC-4, Tosspot wrote:
We are excited to announce that production versions of the Kindernay
XIV, our hydraulically operated 14 speed internal gear hub, are finally
available to order!

http://www.kindernay.com/

Go on! I dare you to look at the price...

Nice idea though. The key point is to separate the hub from the wheel,
allowing the hub to be moved between wheels relatively easily.

$1,493.69 Canadian or with the rear rim build $1,707.60 Canadian.

Cheers

Now you see, Ridealot, if you had bought a Rohloff for your winter training bike when I suggested it, by now you'd think these prices cheap*.

Andre Jute
*And you be ahead all the money you spent since then on new clusters and chainrings and probably chains as well because the Rohloff lets you fit a Chainglider which totally encloses the chain so that you can run it for its entire life on the factory lube.
Old June 5th 19, 05:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 6:16:12 AM UTC+1, Tosspot wrote:
We are excited to announce that production versions of the Kindernay
XIV, our hydraulically operated 14 speed internal gear hub, are finally
available to order!

http://www.kindernay.com/

Go on! I dare you to look at the price...

Nice idea though. The key point is to separate the hub from the wheel,
allowing the hub to be moved between wheels relatively easily.

Well spotted. Here's a post I sent to a touring forum about this gearbox:
***
The Kindernay 14-gear 543% range detachable bicycle hub gearbox holds the hub gearbox inside a cage to which the spokes and the rim are attached. Thus you can have several rear wheels for various purposes pre-built on separate cages but pay for only one hub. Hydraulic shifting!

They claim the hub is light -- 1400gr -- but also durable. Appears to have serial gear changes, as on the Rohloff.

This is the gearbox, the (black) interchangeable cage which attaches box to spokes to rim, and the part sticking up at the back is the rear end of the hydraulic gear change mechanism.

[Of course the photo won't reproduce...]

The Kindernay 14-gear detachable bicycle hub gearbox start page is at: http://www.kindernay.com

If the thing is not flimsy to make that claimed weight, 11,992 Norwegian kroner, including a spoked wheel, doesn't sound too bad. It's around Euro 1225 or Sterling 1086 or USD 1380, which is well within Rohloff territory. See this page for the choice of axle versions and disc brake rotor choice, which come in the price: http://www.kindernay.com/product/kindernay-xiv/

The fitting kit appears complete.

An interesting HGB, I think. Soon we'll be spoiled for choice what with the Rohloff, the Pinion, the NuVinci (available with automatic change), and now the Kindernay.
***

Andre Jute
By the time they start printing T-shirts I've been gone to something more exciting for three weeks already