Why do racers stick out knee?

Old August 8th 09, 01:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Baka

Default Why do racers stick out knee?

Victor Kan wrote:
On Aug 7, 8:36 am, Bill Baka wrote:
I watch all the TdF's and saw one guy lean too much on a hot road and
the tire peeled off. Beloki. Broke his leg and put him out of the race
back around 2003. That was the one where Lance went dirt biking in the tour.

Maybe the camera angle is deceiving, but Beloki looks to me to be
plumb with the bike, did not have his inside knee pointing into the
curve, and was leaning only a little when he started fishtailing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_8m5...eature=related

They show it in slow motion at 26 seconds in.

I didn't analyze it but Bob Roll or one of the other commentators that
year said it looked like the tire came off the rim. I saw it again this
year and the tire did very obviously come off the rim. Maybe these tires
are only really tested for rolling resistance for full speed ahead use.

Bill Baka
Old August 8th 09, 01:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Baka

wrote:
Victor Kan wrote:

I watch all the TdF's and saw one guy lean too much on a hot road
and the tire peeled off. Beloki. Broke his leg and put him out of
the race back around 2003. That was the one where Lance went dirt
biking in the tour.

Maybe the camera angle is deceiving, but Beloki looks to me to be
plumb with the bike, did not have his inside knee pointing into the
curve, and was leaning only a little when he started fishtailing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_8m5...eature=related

They show it in slow motion at 26 seconds in.

I didn't see a slow motion clip, but there was no knee-out and both
riders in the clip are pedaling. From what I could see, Beloki had a
flat tire and noticed how low it was just before he began the slide
because he stopped pedaling a fraction of a second before he lost
control. The road was suitably banked in that turn so the lean angle
was minimal and appropriate for hard pedaling. A rear wheel break-out
when pedaling rather than coasting steeply leaning through a fast turn
is an indication of an equipment failure, in this event a flat tire.

Citing this event under the subject heading is irrelevantly misplaced.

Jobst Brandt

Correct.
It is not the same as trying to blast around a city corner.

Bill Baka
Old August 8th 09, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson[_5_]

Bill Baka wrote:
wrote:
Victor Kan wrote:

[...]

I'm sure Jobst will sleep well tonight, having been backed up by Blusterin'
Bill Baka!

BS (ya think?)

Heaven on a stick [email protected] Unicycling 0 January 6th 07 01:25 PM
FS: Federal ACL knee gasket knee pads, new, medium Todd Marketplace 0 February 8th 05 04:29 AM
WTB Fit Stick pete5609 Marketplace 1 February 4th 05 04:42 AM
FS: The Fit Stick Frankie Marketplace 0 November 21st 04 05:17 PM
Stick in Knee muddycycle Unicycling 8 October 29th 03 01:20 AM