Buying a bike without riding

Old August 8th 09, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
notme

Default Buying a bike without riding

Being offered a GT Timberline for $100 as-is. It has flat rear tire.

http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/B...nd=GT&Model=Ti
mberline&Type=bike

What would you do?

Take a can of flat-fix (the tube's going to get replaced anyway)?

Ride it flat?

Buy it no-questions asked?

Ask for a warrantee until the tire gets fixed?

All these, of course, after close visual examination of frame, fork, tires,
driveline, etc.

Thanks.

Old August 8th 09, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Dan O

http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/B...2007&Brand=GT&...
mberline&Type=bike

What would you do?

Take a can of flat-fix (the tube's going to get replaced anyway)?

Ride it flat?

Buy it no-questions asked?

Ask for a warrantee until the tire gets fixed?

All these, of course, after close visual examination of frame, fork, tires,
driveline, etc.

Thanks.

I'd move on and keep looking.
Old August 8th 09, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
notme

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 10:13:08 -0700, Dan O wrote
(in article
):

I'd move on and keep looking.

Because...?

If I inflate the tire, why not ride it? Is that option not viable?

Or don't you like the Timberline?

Old August 8th 09, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Dan O

On Aug 8, 10:14 am, notme wrote:
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 10:13:08 -0700, Dan O wrote
(in article
):

I'd move on and keep looking.

Because...?

If I inflate the tire, why not ride it? Is that option not viable?

Or don't you like the Timberline?

Yeah, I guess so - Sorry, that's just me :-)

I guess you could fix the flat and then test ride it. A quick patch
costs just about nothing.
Old August 8th 09, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Sir Ridesalot

On Aug 8, 1:09*pm, notme wrote:
Being offered a GT Timberline for $100 as-is. It has flat rear tire.

http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/B...2007&Brand=GT&...
mberline&Type=bike

What would you do?

Take a can of flat-fix (the tube's going to get replaced anyway)?

Ride it flat?

Buy it no-questions asked?

Ask for a warrantee until the tire gets fixed?

All these, of course, after close visual examination of frame, fork, tires,
driveline, etc.

Thanks.

Hi there.

As I mentioned in your other used bike buying thread, buying a used
bike *WITHOUT* test riding it is taking a *HUGE* risk in my opinion.
There are many things that could be wrong with the bike that only
becone apparent when you ride it under load. The forks could be
slightly damaged and cause the bike to always pull to one side or the
other.

A warrantee from a used bike seller is only as good as the integrity
of the seller. Do you know the seller well enough to trust them?

Here is what happened to my sister recently when she bought a jsed MTB
from a trusted neighbour *WITHOUT* test riding it. SHe was told all
the bike needed was air in the tires.

Well it turned out that it needed a new chain,
a new middle chain ring, (new crankset since this one was so old it
wouldn't
fit the square taper bb unless she was willing to put up with a very
poor chainline) a new bb, and a new driveside rear spoke. Repairs
totalled over
$100 to get it on the road with all 21 gears working right.
Fortunately it was a good quality cro-moly steel frame bike and was
worth about $750 when new.

Cheers from Peter
Old August 8th 09, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
futrino[_2_]

notme wrote:
Being offered a GT Timberline for $100 as-is. It has flat rear tire.

http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/B...nd=GT&Model=Ti
mberline&Type=bike

What would you do?

Take a can of flat-fix (the tube's going to get replaced anyway)?

Ride it flat?

Buy it no-questions asked?

Ask for a warrantee until the tire gets fixed?

All these, of course, after close visual examination of frame, fork, tires,
driveline, etc.

Thanks.

my last $30 gaint atx 770, gave me a $100 headache.
broken front SLR shifter , right one had to be flushed out. bottom
bracket wiggles a little, rear wheel bent, front wheel had a small dent
and a metal burr.
all cables have sharp frayed ends. it does have the early 90's
shimano deore parts that I like, crank, derailer, pedals, hubs etc.
it does has new tires and $30 grips.
Old August 8th 09, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Fred

"notme" wrote in message
Being offered a GT Timberline for $100 as-is. It has flat rear tire.

http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/B...nd=GT&Model=Ti
mberline&Type=bike

What would you do?

Take a can of flat-fix (the tube's going to get replaced anyway)?

Ride it flat?

Buy it no-questions asked?

Ask for a warrantee until the tire gets fixed?

All these, of course, after close visual examination of frame, fork,
tires,
driveline, etc.

Thanks.

Fix it then try it, or take a punt if it otherwise looks alright; but ride
it flat - never! It will damage the bike, rim and tire, and tell you
absolutely nothing about the bike in the process.

Old August 9th 09, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
someone

On 8 Aug, 18:09, notme wrote:
Being offered a GT Timberline for $100 as-is. It has flat rear tire.

http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/B...2007&Brand=GT&...
mberline&Type=bike

What would you do?

Take a can of flat-fix (the tube's going to get replaced anyway)?

Ride it flat?

Buy it no-questions asked?

Ask for a warrantee until the tire gets fixed?

All these, of course, after close visual examination of frame, fork, tires,
driveline, etc.

Thanks.

If the forks are wasted, is there a $100 worth of parts there for
you? Could you sell any of the parts? Because of your limitation of
bike knowledge I think you should go for a non suspension bike. If
you are buying a suspension bike, get it from a shop, even if they are
only acting as agents they have some duty into not mis-selling a
bike. They have the expertise so hold some liability for false
description.
Old August 9th 09, 08:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
DanKMTB

On Aug 8, 1:09*pm, notme wrote:
Being offered a GT Timberline for $100 as-is. It has flat rear tire.

http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/B...2007&Brand=GT&...
mberline&Type=bike

What would you do?

Take a can of flat-fix (the tube's going to get replaced anyway)?

Ride it flat?

Buy it no-questions asked?

Ask for a warrantee until the tire gets fixed?

All these, of course, after close visual examination of frame, fork, tires,
driveline, etc.

Thanks.

I'd replace or patch the tube and test ride it. Patch it, leave it
fixed if you don't want the bike. If you care, take your new tube
with you after the test ride if the bike has other issues. A tube is
easy, why not fix it and ride it? I've gone to check out as-is motor
vehicles and spent and hour or two getting them running to check them
out before the purchase. It's just wrenching... worst ways to spend
my time. In this case it's a tube, a few minutes. Fix it and ride it.

Buying a bike in the US [email protected] Australia 6 March 14th 06 10:41 PM
Buying a bike, what would you do? Chris Eilbeck UK 13 January 24th 06 08:02 PM
Buying a bike from the Bike Doctor in Vancouver or from another LBS Mark General 4 September 13th 04 07:15 PM
Buying a bike Graham Triggs General 2 September 6th 04 04:52 AM
buying new bike DLCRCF General 4 July 11th 04 02:06 AM