So it's the clown era again?

Old June 30th 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default So it's the clown era again?

As soon as Lance retires all the main contenders are found out to be dopers.
Then again maybe Lance was doping and knew the gig was up.

Old June 30th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"Manco" wrote in message
As soon as Lance retires all the main contenders are found out to be
dopers. Then again maybe Lance was doping and knew the gig was up.

There was an invisible bubble of purity surrounding the TdF during the LANCE
era. That era is over.

--
Snippy

Old June 30th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Manco wrote:

As soon as Lance retires all the main contenders are found out to be
dopers. Then again maybe Lance was doping and knew the gig was up.

But how did Armstrong know the gig was up? Does anyone else see anything
fishy about how immediately after he retires this happens (not to mention
the Festina affair was the year before he started winning)? Who do you
think really knew where all the skeletons were buried in closets?
Armstrong trained in Spain, I think, maybe he didn't, I don't really care,
it makes a better story if I believe he did, so he had ample opportunity to
send a letter here and there, nudge a local gendarme, or whatever the hell
they call cops in Spain (gendarmos? poliziarojas?). It is also quite
telling this happens after the Giro but before the Tour and after the
Vuelta from last year but before this year's. If that isn't part of the
larger pattern, then I haven't gotten into some moldy peanut butter.
Again.

But of course all that speculation about Armstrong blowing out the dopers
as a final "Texas-style-finger-in-the-air-hat-waving-whooping salute" to
the French is just that, speculation. It deflects from who really
benefits. Stop focussing on virtual wins from past Tours and Giros. Both
Ullrich and Basso now can claim a virtual Tour win from this year (in
Basso's case, a split actual-virtual double, or maybe a actual-virtual-
virtual if he claims he was planning on riding the Vuelta (or even the
unprecedented triple virtual if he gets stripped of the Giro)). Those
virtual wins are going to look great on their resumes.

--
Bill Asher
Old June 30th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On 30 Jun 2006 16:35:05 GMT, William Asher wrote:

But of course all that speculation about Armstrong blowing out the dopers
as a final "Texas-style-finger-in-the-air-hat-waving-whooping salute" to
the French is just that, speculation. It deflects from who really
benefits. Stop focussing on virtual wins from past Tours and Giros. Both
Ullrich and Basso now can claim a virtual Tour win from this year (in
Basso's case, a split actual-virtual double, or maybe a actual-virtual-
virtual if he claims he was planning on riding the Vuelta (or even the
unprecedented triple virtual if he gets stripped of the Giro)). Those
virtual wins are going to look great on their resumes.

Is there a reason you are leaving out the WCs? There is simply no
reason not to go for a triple virtual.

I think Ullrich can easily claim the triple virtual.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old June 30th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Snippy Bobkins a écrit :
"Manco" wrote in message

As soon as Lance retires all the main contenders are found out to be
dopers. Then again maybe Lance was doping and knew the gig was up.

There was an invisible bubble of purity surrounding the TdF during the LANCE
era. That era is over.

Germany over Argentina in penalty shots.
There is more out there than a retired texan.
Old June 30th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"William Asher" wrote in message
Manco wrote:

As soon as Lance retires all the main contenders are found out to be
dopers. Then again maybe Lance was doping and knew the gig was up.

But how did Armstrong know the gig was up? Does anyone else see anything
fishy about how immediately after he retires this happens (not to mention
the Festina affair was the year before he started winning)?

I don't see anything fishy about it - the people who KNEW they couldn't beat
Lance are now willing to do ANYTHING to take over as 'the boss'. To me,
it's just that simple. Were they doping during Lance's reign? Probably.
Was Lance doping? Possibly, but I choose to believe that he wasn't based on
all of read and seen of him.

Now, it's wide open, and guys will do anything to assume the throne.
Jeff

Old June 30th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Sandy wrote:
Snippy Bobkins a écrit :

"Manco" wrote in message

As soon as Lance retires all the main contenders are found out to be
dopers. Then again maybe Lance was doping and knew the gig was up.

There was an invisible bubble of purity surrounding the TdF during the
LANCE era. That era is over.

Germany over Argentina in penalty shots.
There is more out there than a retired texan.

Like the names of all those soccer players seen enetring the building
during "Operacion Puerto". Oh but that would spoil the World Cup again
wouldn't it.
Viz 1998 when the French police took their revenge on the Tour because
they were stopped from busting the Creatine toting footy players.
It is bad for cycling buit WHY is it the only sport getting clobbered?
Old June 30th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

[...]

I am assuming Hincapie and Boonen will be DQ'd by then and they will claim
the WC virtual. The GC guys never ride the worlds anymore unless they have
something to prove, which this year they don't since they already won their
virtual grand tours (although we still have to see who would have been the
favorite for the Vuelta and gets that virtual). Boonen stands the most to
gain by getting DQ'd since he can claim a virtual double-double of winning
P-R and WC in the same year two years in a row, except he didn't win P-R
this year but can claim he might have if he hadn't ridden so hard the week
before. I am a little unclear about how you do the virtual win assignment
so I may have that a bit mixed up. Also, keep in mind that if Boonen gets
a 2-yr suspension he can then get a four-year virtual double, which I don't
think has been done before, or since, so that is a huge incentive for him.

In a lot of ways, this is sort of like watching one of those over-the-top-
rope battle royales in pro-wrestling with guys flying out of the ring left
and right, except the winner won't get to meet the current champion in a
strap-on cage match during Wrestlemania XXLXIXLXIBFD, the guys involved are
a lot smaller, and the nicknames are things like "Paco" instead of
"Superfly."

--
Bill Asher
Old June 30th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

snip
There was a time when the above would have confused me while sober,
but I'm much better now.

http://tiny.pl/t5b9

--
Bill Asher
Old June 30th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On 30 Jun 2006 18:02:36 GMT, William Asher wrote:

[...]

Freemounting a giraffe while wearing clown shoes? Skippii Unicycling 4 October 24th 05 09:39 PM
education davek UK 67 September 3rd 04 02:22 PM
Brian the Trials Clown Sofa Unicycling 14 November 2nd 03 07:13 AM
'Real' Clown noses? Sofa Unicycling 13 October 27th 03 12:40 AM