newbie question

Old July 23rd 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
JC

Default newbie question

After one of the riders got his drink bottle out, I heard a commentator say
'oh no you can't drink that now, your not allowed!!'
I can't recall when,.. may have been with less than 15-20 km to go

What exactly is behind the reasoning they can't drink so close to the
finish?

Old July 23rd 07, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simon Brooke

in message , JC
') wrote:

After one of the riders got his drink bottle out, I heard a commentator
say 'oh no you can't drink that now, your not allowed!!'
I can't recall when,.. may have been with less than 15-20 km to go

You can drink it if you've got it, but you can't take on more drink in the
run-in to the finish.

What exactly is behind the reasoning they can't drink so close to the
finish?

I think it's that domestiques going to and from the team cars cause
turbulence in the peloton which can get dangerous as the race gets more
nervous towards the finish.

;; This email may contain confidential or otherwise privileged
;; information, though, quite frankly, if you're not the intended
;; recipient and you've got nothing better to do than read other
;; folks' emails then I'm glad to have brightened up your sad little
;; life a tiny bit.
Old July 23rd 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni

On Jul 23, 5:44 am, "JC" wrote:
After one of the riders got his drink bottle out, I heard a commentator say
'oh no you can't drink that now, your not allowed!!'
I can't recall when,.. may have been with less than 15-20 km to go

What exactly is behind the reasoning they can't drink so close to the
finish?

Dumbass -

Can't get a feed from the team car.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Old July 23rd 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , JC
') wrote:

After one of the riders got his drink bottle out, I heard a commentator
say 'oh no you can't drink that now, your not allowed!!'
I can't recall when,.. may have been with less than 15-20 km to go

You can drink it if you've got it, but you can't take on more drink in the
run-in to the finish.

What exactly is behind the reasoning they can't drink so close to the
finish?

I think it's that domestiques going to and from the team cars cause
turbulence in the peloton which can get dangerous as the race gets more
nervous towards the finish.

It's the hand slings that frequently accompany the feeds.

Bob Schwartz
Old July 23rd 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Bob Schwartz wrote:
It's the hand slings that frequently accompany the feeds.

So if they changes the rules Leipheimer would be able to match Contador's
jumps.

Old July 23rd 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jul 23, 1:05 pm, Donald Munro wrote:
Bob Schwartz wrote:
It's the hand slings that frequently accompany the feeds.

So if they changes the rules Leipheimer would be able to match Contador's
jumps.

dumbass,

feeding is intrinsically dangerous so it's not allowed in the first
50km or last 20km of a race.

handslings are illegal so they could enforce that strictly if they
wanted to.

Old July 23rd 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William Asher

Donald Munro wrote:

Bob Schwartz wrote:
It's the hand slings that frequently accompany the feeds.

So if they changes the rules Leipheimer would be able to match Contador's
jumps.

There's hope for all of us if they change the rules. For example, if they
expand the teams to around 20,000 riders each, then the top guys could get
handslung over the entire stage. It would look like a 200-km rider bucket
brigade. But the point is with 20 teams of 20,000 that's 400,000 riders,
plenty of room for fatty masters and LIVEDRUNK(tm)s. It would look like
RAGBRAI without the dudes towing the cooler and barbecue grill. Heck, even
the guy that rides around towing the 1000-kg trailer could get on a team.

--
Bill Asher
Old July 24th 07, 10:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

William Asher wrote:
There's hope for all of us if they change the rules. For example, if they
expand the teams to around 20,000 riders each, then the top guys could get
handslung over the entire stage. It would look like a 200-km rider bucket
brigade. But the point is with 20 teams of 20,000 that's 400,000 riders,
plenty of room for fatty masters and LIVEDRUNK(tm)s.

Have you ever tried giving a fatty master a handsling (bearing in mind
Newtons 3rd law) ?

Old July 24th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William Asher

Donald Munro wrote:

William Asher wrote:
There's hope for all of us if they change the rules. For example, if
they expand the teams to around 20,000 riders each, then the top guys
could get handslung over the entire stage. It would look like a
200-km rider bucket brigade. But the point is with 20 teams of
20,000 that's 400,000 riders, plenty of room for fatty masters and
LIVEDRUNK(tm)s.

Have you ever tried giving a fatty master a handsling (bearing in mind
Newtons 3rd law) ?

No, the fatty masters are giving the handsling to the pro-type racers. I
figure one fatty master ought to be able to sling a 130-lb pro about 100
yards, more if you could get them to put down their beer and donuts.
Bicycle racing would become a cross between "World's Strongest Man,"
"Rollerball," and dwarf tossing. If we could figure out a way to get some
topless chicks in there, it could be huge, and there's always a way to get
topless chicks in somewhere.

--
Bill Asher
Old July 24th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William R. Mattil

William Asher wrote:
Donald Munro wrote:

William Asher wrote:
[...]