switching back from a touring derailleur to road...

Old July 21st 04, 03:35 AM
Sheldon Brown

Default switching back from a touring derailleur to road...

Michael Leduc wrote:

Just recently picked up a Lemond Wayzata with the intention of using
it mainly as a round-the-city ride and a once-every-couple-of-years
touring bike. In anticipation for this upcoming trip I ponied up for
some stronger wheels and wider tires and changed from a 12-25 cassette
to a 12-32. In doing that I also neccesarily changed the derailleur
from the stock "Tiagra" to a Deore LX. When I get back from this trip
my intention is to go back to the "racing" wheels and the tighter
cassette.

Just looking for opinions on whether there is any good reason for me
to go back to the Tiagra derailleur as well. I understand that it is a
lower end item and the Deore LX is probably of higher quality, but if
there are other issues I'd love to hear them.

The only thing the Tiagra has going for it over the LX is that it is a
wee bit lighter.

Sheldon "Don't Bother" Brown
| Happy Moon Landing Day to all! None of us should |
| be working today--we should all be celebrating the |
| most important event of the last millennium! |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old July 21st 04, 02:52 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

mleduc- wider tires and changed from a 12-25 cassette
to a 12-32. In doing that I also neccesarily changed the derailleur
from the stock "Tiagra" to a Deore LX. When I get back from this trip
my intention is to go back to the "racing" wheels and the tighter
cassette. BRBR

just leave the longer cage rear der on. To make any future use of the big
cassette possible w/o changing the rear der. they will work the same but the LX
gives you more flexibility.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.