Another cyclist killed - Athens, GA

Old January 22nd 04, 12:22 AM
psycholist

Default Another cyclist killed - Athens, GA

A professor of genetics at UGA was out on a ride and was run over from
behind by a 69-year-old man driving a pickup truck. "No charges have been
filed. The accident remains under investigation."

The cyclist was Marjorie Asmussen, 54.

"The guy said that he didn't see her, but she was run up onto the hood of
the vehicle and pronounced dead at the scene," said Pfc. C. E. Parker of the
Georgia
State Patrol Office in Washington, GA.

Balance of the story talks about her incredible resume in the field of
population genetics. Here's a link:
http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/...40121062.shtml

Another sad day for cycling.

Just an observation -- Athens is a cycling-crazy town. I know some GA state
troopers from that area that do the Assault on Mt. Mitchell every year and
who are into racing. I suspect this incident will be investigated
appropriately and charges will be filed if circumstances justify them.
We'll see.

Bob C.

Old January 22nd 04, 01:04 PM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

psycholist wrote:

"The guy said that he didn't see her, but she was run up onto the hood of
the vehicle and pronounced dead at the scene," said Pfc. C. E. Parker of the
Georgia
State Patrol Office in Washington, GA.

This is a heart-breaking loss. Moreover, at 2:40 pm I'm sure it is broad
daylight even in Georgia and I find this "I didn't see her" excuse pretty hard
to believe.

EFR
Ile de Frrance

Old January 22nd 04, 06:17 PM
Matthew

"Elisa Francesca Roselli"
wrote in message ...
psycholist wrote:

"The guy said that he didn't see her, but she was run up onto the hood

of
the vehicle and pronounced dead at the scene," said Pfc. C. E. Parker of

the
Georgia
State Patrol Office in Washington, GA.

This is a heart-breaking loss. Moreover, at 2:40 pm I'm sure it is broad
daylight even in Georgia and I find this "I didn't see her" excuse pretty

hard
to believe.

I visited north GA before I started cycling and found even driving to be
terrifying. The roads are generally narrower than I am used to with
narrow--sometimes non-existent--shoulders. The area is also hilly so the
roads have many elevation changes and curves and the accompanying blind
spots. At the time I thought the speed limits were excessive and they were
routinely violated. It appeared the famous "Southern hospitality" ends when
behind a steering wheel.

Makes me glad for the wide roads and mostly friendly drivers of my home.

Matthew

not a cyclist loki General 38 May 22nd 04 02:06 PM
Wisconsin Cyclist killed in rear-end collision Zippy the Pinhead General 81 October 11th 03 12:41 PM
Great Cycling Advocate Killed by repeat Drunk Driver mrbubl General 50 October 6th 03 05:38 PM
Ken Kifer -- "Identity of biker killed remains unclear" Steven M. O'Neill General 5 September 17th 03 06:01 PM
Hog attacks cyclist in Hong Kong Scott Munro General 4 September 16th 03 05:05 PM