Sunday July 30 SAUSAGES AGAINST STUPIDITY

Old July 25th 06, 12:41 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Paul Johnson

Default Sunday July 30 SAUSAGES AGAINST STUPIDITY

This Sunday July 30 midday at Kings Cross.

SAUSAGES AGAINST STUPIDITY

I considered having a hunger strike, but that just seemed daft, the
3Cs, Cycling, Coffee and Chocolate go together so well.

So I'm calling on the vegan cyclist hordes of Sydney to descend on
William St and protest the removal of the William St bike lanes by
eating meat (or a viable meat substitute if you must) this Sunday at a
Kings Cross back-of-the-bike sausage sizzle.

I'm currently turning a BOB trailer into a mobile BBQ/billbord protest
machine, and will be bringing a tandem to pull it, the stokers seat is
reserved for Morris Iemma if he wants to join us, though I expect he
will be absent. If anyone else has a tandem, please invite the
politician of your choice who can be absent as well so Morris doesn't
feel left out.

Meet midday at Kings Cross in front of the ugly stick and ball
sculptures, near the big Coke sign at the intersection of Victoria St
and Kings Cross Road for Sausages Against Stupidity.

Basic times a
9am assemble Riverwood
9:30am sharp, depart Riverwood
midday Kings Cross, SAS start cooking
12:45pm depart to ride William St then return to KingsX.
2pm depart Kings Cross for Riverwood
5pm pizza, plonk and planning, Riverwood

I know its dumb, but I don't see why the government should have all the
fun doing stupid things like getting rid of bike lanes. Given a
concerted effort, we cyclists can match their dullness with something
suitably senseless.

Heres details of the ride from Riverwood to Kings Cross:

July 30 Sunday - Backpedalling on William St Distance: 55km return
(27km one way)
Grade: some traffic, includes cyclepaths, includes cycleways, moderate pace
Contact: Paul Johnson 0438536458 (h) or
Starts at: assemble 9:00am opposite Premier Morris Iemmas office in his
local electorate, 48 Thurlow St, Riverwood (visible from Riverwood
railway station). Ride leaves 9:30am sharp! Don't be late!

Morris Iemma, NSW Premier and Member for Lakemba, controversially
announced on 05/06/06 (World Environment Day!) intentions to remove the
just completed bike lanes on William St to make way for another
eastbound general lane. Sartor has now signed approval to go ahead.

Cycle from Iemmas office via M5East path, Bexley North, Tempe, Mascot,
Rosebery to arrive midday at Kings Cross near the big Coke sign to
torture sausages. 12:45pm depart for a spin on William St and hopefully
Kent St, then back to Kings Cross. Depart Kings Cross 2:00pm for return
via similar route for pizza, plonk and planning (the only PPP you'll
ever want to be involved in) at Riverwood at Monte Carlos resturant,
opens 5:00pm, close to station and cab rank (so no excuses for cycling
home under the influence if you enjoy yourself to much).

If you want to get the train between Riverwood and Kings Cross there is
no trackwork scheduled on the Airport and East Hills Line, but there is
trackwork and buses on the Eastern Suburbs Line, so I suggest you use
Museum or St James stations.

The times for morning trains to Riverwood a
Central-Riverwood
8:23am-8:48am
8:38am-9:08am
8:53am-9:18am

Proposed route (much the same as the last two times) to Kings Cross is at:
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...ing-William-St

There is an A4 PDF poster for the ride to put up on noticeboards, etc at:
http://www.bikesouthwest.org.au/william-st.pdf
or from
http://www.bicyclensw.org.au

Let NSW Premier Morris Iemmma know you don't want cycle lanes removed as a
result of the Cross City Tunnel fiasco. Download the petition to the
Legislative Assembly available at:
http://www.bikesouthwest.org.au/william-st-petition.pdf
Get some signatures on it (even just one is still ok), send it to Iemma
or your local member, whose details you can find at:
http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/members.nsf/v3listcurrentlamembers?open&vwCurr=CurrLAByElector ate

Bye, Paul Johnson