Edinburgh commuting race

Old September 22nd 06, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roos Eisma

Default Edinburgh commuting race

Just saw a short item on the news about a test in Edinburgh this morning
comparing different modes of transport into town. Guess which one was
fastest :-)

Nothing on the BBC website yet.

Roos
Old September 22nd 06, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article
Roos Eisma wrote:
Just saw a short item on the news about a test in Edinburgh this morning
comparing different modes of transport into town. Guess which one was
fastest :-)

Horses?
Old September 22nd 06, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
sothach

Was it a repeat of http://clevercommuting.org.uk/challenge.htm ?

Old September 22nd 06, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Don Whybrow

sothach wrote:
Roos Eisma wrote:

Just saw a short item on the news about a test in Edinburgh this morning
comparing different modes of transport into town. Guess which one was
fastest :-)

Nothing on the BBC website yet.

Was it a repeat of http://clevercommuting.org.uk/challenge.htm ?

It looks about the same, I had an email from Maggie [1] about it [2],
but was unable to take part.

[1] Pictured in your link
[2] email long since deleted, so I can't be positive about details.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"To communicate with Mars, converse with spirits, To report the
behaviour of the sea monster, Describe the horoscope, haruspicate or
scry, Observe disease in signatures." (T.S.Eliot)
Old September 22nd 06, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dkahn400

Roos Eisma wrote:
Just saw a short item on the news about a test in Edinburgh this morning
comparing different modes of transport into town. Guess which one was
fastest :-)

Nothing on the BBC website yet.

Has someone told Sean O'Grady yet?

--
Dave...

Old September 22nd 06, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
LaidBack

Roos Eisma wrote:

Just saw a short item on the news about a test in Edinburgh this morning
comparing different modes of transport into town. Guess which one was
fastest :-)

Nothing on the BBC website yet.

Roos

Hi Roos

I cycled in the 'Not a Race' from ERI along with Anthony of
www.citycycing.co.uk fame and chap called Henryk.

Two uprights came in at 17mins.
Nazca Paseo demo bike (as featured in Velo Vision) came in at 20 mins.
Car came in at 30mins
Bus at 43 mins - once again proving that bus is a slow way to get
around in the city.
My route was longer using Minto St and Meadows over Mound to Castle St
via George St. (that's my excuse).
Was going to use Mistral SL but then it would have really have been no
contest (Just joking as traffic light phases were included - not
rolling times. Actual journey times.)

Nazca got a fair bit of interest... Nicer seat than Mistral for the
punters hence my choice.

Stall on Princes St and free Spokes maps till 1pm.

Best wishes

David
www.laid-back-bikes.co.uk

Old September 22nd 06, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
sothach

LaidBack wrote:

I cycled in the 'Not a Race' from ERI along with Anthony of
www.citycycing.co.uk fame and chap called Henryk.

Two uprights came in at 17mins.
Nazca Paseo demo bike (as featured in Velo Vision) came in at 20 mins.

Good result - and that's playing by car rules: lights, junctions etc.
set-up for motorised traffic. How long for the same trip in alleycat
mode?

Old September 22nd 06, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Default Ligfietsen (was Embra commuting race)

LaidBack wrote:

Nazca got a fair bit of interest... Nicer seat than Mistral for the
punters hence my choice.

Hi David,

I like the seat on the Fiero much more than the Mistral, which didn't
impress me much at all, but I prefer the shoulder-blade support on the
old HP Vel seat to the cutaway on the Fiero. Prefer that to the
Bodylink seat which I've yet to manage to adjust quite right (maybe
that's impossible...).

Looking at the pics, the Fuego seat looks a bit more like the old HPVel
one: are you getting a Fuego in at all? Looks like a damn fine Bit Of
Toy to me and I wouldn't mind trying one, especially one with Superman
bars rather than a tiller.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old September 22nd 06, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
LaidBack

Looking at the pics, the Fuego seat looks a bit more like the old HPVel
one: are you getting a Fuego in at all? Looks like a damn fine Bit Of
Toy to me and I wouldn't mind trying one, especially one with Superman
bars rather than a tiller.

Hi Peter

There is a 75 percent chance I might get a loan of the Nazca Fuego that
Ian has tested and reviewed on BROL. I had a shot at York Show but it
was on grass circuit which was bit pointless. However I thought it rode
really well even in lumpy terrain.
Plus it's the bike I've had most emails about. Thing is that it's too
extreme to hold as 'try out bike' yet it's what the more experienced
rider will want to try. Tiller bar though.

Will let you know when it comes in.
Would like to meet up for an HPV thing again. Sure Arellcat would be up
for that. There were around 7 'bents on Pedal for Scotland. Met a guy
(Phil?) from Arbroath with a grey SpeedMachine.

We finally meet GNER next week on wed 27th to decide whether 'bents
can be allowed on trains. Hoping for positive outcome.

Best wishes

David

Old September 22nd 06, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
LaidBack

sothach wrote:
Good result - and that's playing by car rules: lights, junctions etc.
set-up for motorised traffic. How long for the same trip in alleycat
mode?

It's around 4 miles - climb from 50metres to 78 metres and back to 54
metres. Some people could do that in 10-12 mins I suppose. Chap rode in
from Edinburgh Airport took 19 mins so he could go under 10.

In order to do the fastes times though it's vital not t ouse bike
facilities as most of these are low speed and involve entering with a
90 degree turn. On my recumabnet bike best bet was to go max speed on
Minto St bus lane. Easy uphill with few traffic lights. I am going to

Of course all of this is irrelevent for getting new people to commute.
Important fact is that car was 10+ mins slower. If you allow for a
slower rider that's just come back to cycling then car and bike times
are almost the same. Question then is economic and comfort. A few will
choose a bike but most people seem happy to sit in their mobile home.
My point with the Nazca recumbent was publicity for Laid Back and to
make people think. I did carry luggage too - a pair of shoes in the
back box.