USPS TREK bikes really just "stock" frames????

Old July 10th 04, 01:51 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Default USPS TREK bikes really just "stock" frames????

JFT- Men of anywhere near average height and proportions don't need custom
frames for bike fit. BRBR

This is a great point. Maybe 5% of the framesets we sell are custom. Bike shops
that spout that custom is needed for most are mostly Serotta, cuz they make $
on custom framesets.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old July 10th 04, 07:33 PM
dianne_1234

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 18:43:08 -0400, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:

Men of anywhere near average height and proportions don't need custom
frames for bike fit.

True.

I've seen a number of OCLV Treks from the old Saturn team, and while
the basic tubes, lugs and proportins may have been stock, there were
small differerences. Some or all had steel forks.

That might have been in the days when Trek sold the "Classic" fork,
pretty flexible fork. I wonder if Trek developed the "Air Rail" in
response to some riders using steel forks?

Most or all had
numner plate tabs under the top tube.

The Treks for sale at my LBS don't have those. ;-)

Old July 10th 04, 08:52 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 13:39:58 -0500, dianne_1234
wrote:

I don't see why it should be too hard
to have made a slightly shorter
top tube for, say, Roberto Heras as
an example.

What makes you think he requires a short toptube for a man his height?

JT

Old July 10th 04, 08:57 PM
bfd

"Qui si parla Campagnolo " wrote in message
jack- Are the USPS TREK bikes really just "stock" frames??? And if

that's
true,
being completely objective, doesn't it blow a huge hole in the custom

frame
lobby? I guess it begs the question: If stock frames are good enough to
win the Tour De France, are they not good enough for average joe?
BRBR

Lance's framesets are not 'stock'.

I have to disagree with this statement in part. I believe Trek makes its
58cm bike to "fit" Lance and that anybody else who rides a 58cm will have to
adjust to that specific frame!

Old July 10th 04, 10:02 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

Lance's framesets are not 'stock'.

Peter: Could you elaborate on that one? I've seen the production lines;
there's nothing whatsoever special about what Lance rides, aside from the
fact that he'll sometimes be on a production bike that the public doesn't
get for a couple of months. The Madone SL will very shortly be available
(end of this month perhaps), and the Madone SSL a bit later. The bike he's
using for many of the flat sections is a standard Madone, but being the
weight-weenie that he is, anything with the slightest grade and he goes to
the 50 gram lighter "SL" without the flared (aero) seat tube & downtube. As
mentioned, that will shortly be available at your local dealer.

OK, because Lance's bike has a glued-on number plate hanger, I suppose that
could qualify it as non-stock? That might be stretching things just a bit.

Frame geometry? Absolutely untouched. Truth? If Lance demanded a 1cm
longer top tube, he'd have it.. and so would the rest of us. Fortunately,
Lance just happens to fit very nicely on a stock 58cm geometry. No
customization whatsoever. More truth? For some of the mountain bike
riders, they *did* tweak the frames a bit, with slightly-longer top tubes, a
couple of years ago. But not for any of the bikes Lance rides.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

"Qui si parla Campagnolo " wrote in message
jack- Are the USPS TREK bikes really just "stock" frames??? And if

that's
true,
being completely objective, doesn't it blow a huge hole in the custom

frame
lobby? I guess it begs the question: If stock frames are good enough to
win the Tour De France, are they not good enough for average joe?
BRBR

Well, being good enough to win, doesn't really take into account the huge

van
riding along with the riders full of spares, including framesets.

And they may be a size that fits a rider, and that becomes the 'stock

size',
for Trek.