Generator Light Recommendation Wanted

Old July 10th 04, 01:29 AM
Billy

Default Generator Light Recommendation Wanted

I don't want to start another holy war over generator systems vs. battery
systtems, but I'd like some recommendations regarding generators & lights.
I've searched the archives for the ng and I still have some questions. The
availability of generator lights here in the U.S. is, AFAICT, limited to the
following:

- Schmidt hub & bottle models (high end)
- Litespin (high end)
- various Sanden models (mid level)
- various Sanyo models (mid level)
- Union bottle & BB models (mid to low end)
- various low end models (around $15)

I'm not looking to spend a lot of dough on something that may not suit my
needs, so I'm sticking with 6V 3W models. I plan to use it to commute
and/or extend my exercise rides. The area would be mostly unlit roads
between subdivisions and industrial parks. I'm favoring the Union bottle
generator because, from what I've read, it puts out as much light as any,
and is the cheapest, decent generator. If I can accept the light output, I
may upgrade to something else How does the adjustable beam of the Sanyos
and Sandens compare with the fixed Lumotec and BiSy lights? How does the
light in the Union compare? Can anyone recommend other systems available in
the US?

Thanks.

Billy

Old July 10th 04, 01:52 AM
Gary Jacobson

I use a Lumotec Oval powered by a Dymotec S6. It'll be fine for what you
have in mind.

Another bike I have is lighted by a very powerful battery system. While it's
sort of neat that I have the light of a motorcycle, it's more than I need.

One concern I have is wear on the sidewall of the lightweight tires I use.
If I didn't have fenders and a braze on tab I'd fit the generator so that
the generator wheel rides over the tread part of the tire.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

ink.net...

Old July 10th 04, 02:45 AM
Billy

"Gary Jacobson" wrote in message
I use a Lumotec Oval powered by a Dymotec S6. It'll be fine for what you
have in mind.

What is the difference between the Lumotec Oval and the standard Lumotec?
Is it just cosmetic?

Another bike I have is lighted by a very powerful battery system. While

it's
sort of neat that I have the light of a motorcycle, it's more than I need.

Which one do you use the most?

One concern I have is wear on the sidewall of the lightweight tires I use.
If I didn't have fenders and a braze on tab I'd fit the generator so that
the generator wheel rides over the tread part of the tire.

I'll be putting it on a mtn bike w/slicks, or an old 10 speed w/27x1/25"
tires. I think I could run off the tread on either bike.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Thanks.

Billy

Old July 14th 04, 05:55 PM
Frank Krygowski

Billy wrote:

[...]

I'm not going to be able to answer your questions in detail, since I
don't buy lots of generator lights. The ones I'm using are at least six
years old, and the ones I use most often are probably fifteen years old!
Actually, that's testimony to their reliability.

Light output won't vary much from one model to another, as their
electrical characteristics are pretty closely regulated by German laws,
and Germany is a big market for them. See
http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/dynotest.html
for some good comparison information from a few years ago.

The headlamp itself makes at least as much difference as the generator,
but you can buy those separately.
http://www.fa-technik.adfc.de/Kompon.../vergleich.htm
has some photos of headlight beams.

FWIW, I've used several different lamps in recent years: a Basta
Ellipsoid, the FER headlamp that comes with the FER 2002 generator, a
Soubitez HS3, a Union CH 11220 (that's about 3.5" diameter), a Union CH
11226 (about 2.5" diameter). I've listed them in my order of
preference, but there's some personal taste in there, to be sure. For
example, the Basta Ellipsoid has a fairly narrow beam, but it's
brighter. The Union CH 11220 spreads a wider, slightly dimmer beam.

One advantage of a roller (or bottom bracket) generator is it will
probably drive two headlamps in series, if you want to play with that
circuit. I use mostly Soubitez bottom bracket generators partly for
that reason.

The Union sidewall generator will work fine, but it's not a low-drag model.

Keep in mind you can buy lots more of these if you do mail order to
overseas shops. For example, there's http://www.sjscycles.com/

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old July 15th 04, 12:22 PM
David Damerell

Billy wrote:
I don't want to start another holy war over generator systems vs. battery
systtems, but I'd like some recommendations regarding generators & lights.
I'm not looking to spend a lot of dough on something that may not suit my
needs, so I'm sticking with 6V 3W models.
I'm favoring the Union bottle
generator because, from what I've read, it puts out as much light as any,
and is the cheapest, decent generator.

The trouble with bottle dynamos is that they are unreliable in the wet -
much less so than when I was a kid, but they're still not ideal. As well
as the components you list, I know the Shimano Nexus is available in the
United States; it's nearly as good as the Schmidt -

Diversion; _all_ these dynamos, except a slipping bottle in the wet, are
_just_ as good in terms of what they put out; they put out 6V 3W. The
differences are weight, reliability, and extra drag. A bottle has zero
drag when off, but high drag when on compared to a hub; the difference
between the Schmidt and the Nexus is that the Schmidt when off causes
almost no drag, but the Nexus causes a greater (but still very small)
amount.

- and about 1/3 the price. If you _really_ are strapped for cash, get a
bottle, but consider the Nexus if you can afford it.

Headlamps; the Bisy or Schmidt E6 are the best if you don't need a
standlight, the Lumotec Plus lamps if you do. Any B&M standlight-equipped
taillight will do, but you may find it equally easy to mount a cheap LED
rear light.

You might like to take a look at;

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~d...es/dynamo.html
--
David Damerell Distortion Field!

Old July 16th 04, 12:52 AM
Tim McNamara

I use the Schmidt SON and Lumotec Plus Oval lamp. I find this just
fine for riding all night (literally) in rural areas. The drag of the
hub is not noticeable whether the light is on or off. It's expensive
but IMHO well worth it.