where did all these SEROTTAS come from???

Old July 10th 04, 09:04 PM
H. Guy

Default where did all these SEROTTAS come from???

over the past month in my rides through d.c. and northern
virginia, i've noticed a HUGE increase over last year's
serotta population. from my youthful days, i remember when
serottas were a kind of bike geek guilty pleasure, and now
seems like there are almost as many of them out there as
there are treks!

have they recently pushed into the massier end of mass
production, or is this just a case of washington politico
monkey-see-monkey-do after john kerry was photographed
on a serotta?
Old July 10th 04, 09:12 PM
Dave Thompson

"H. Guy" wrote in message
over the past month in my rides through d.c. and northern
virginia, i've noticed a HUGE increase over last year's
serotta population. from my youthful days, i remember when
serottas were a kind of bike geek guilty pleasure, and now
seems like there are almost as many of them out there as
there are treks!

have they recently pushed into the massier end of mass
production, or is this just a case of washington politico
monkey-see-monkey-do after john kerry was photographed
on a serotta?

Serotta has been building bikes for 30 years. They have a long life, and
their riders are quite active. Perhaps after seeing John Kerry on one, you
started recognizing them and hence observed more. There are lots of Serottas
out there. Their forum is very active: http://www.serotta.com/forum/

Old July 11th 04, 06:14 AM
Kovie

If you read the original post you'll see that he's known about Serottas for
some time so I'm sure he would have recognized them last year. Given where
he rides I'm going to assume that his guess isn't that off the
mark--although I think it's more donkey-see-donkey-do. What does Bush ride
(when he's not busy falling off it)? I'd bet that lots of junior Republicans
are doing a similar elephant-see-elephant-do thing. What next, Paul Begala
and James Carville going head to head against Tucker Carlson and Bob Novak
down Pennsylvania Avenue? (Although Edwards vs. Cheney would be a sight to
see.)

--
Kovie
zen

Old July 11th 04, 06:22 AM
Dave Thompson

"Kovie" wrote in message
If you read the original post you'll see that he's known about Serottas

for
some time so I'm sure he would have recognized them last year. Given where
he rides I'm going to assume that his guess isn't that off the
mark--although I think it's more donkey-see-donkey-do. What does Bush ride
(when he's not busy falling off it)? I'd bet that lots of junior

Republicans
are doing a similar elephant-see-elephant-do thing. What next, Paul Begala
and James Carville going head to head against Tucker Carlson and Bob Novak
down Pennsylvania Avenue? (Although Edwards vs. Cheney would be a sight to
see.)

--
Kovie
zen

I seriously doubt Kerry's rides on his Serotta has spurred sales of the
brand. Serotta builds about 3000 frames a year, so there's been no huge
increase in the Serotta population of late. In the last several years there
has been much more awareness of the brand as a premium maker, and the
Serotta forum is widely read as a source of good information about things
bike.

Old July 11th 04, 07:00 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Dave Thompson" wrote:

I seriously doubt Kerry's rides on his Serotta has spurred sales of the
brand. Serotta builds about 3000 frames a year, so there's been no huge
increase in the Serotta population of late. In the last several years there
has been much more awareness of the brand as a premium maker, and the
Serotta forum is widely read as a source of good information about things
bike.

Serottas are a premium luxury product. The increased number on the road
indicate that a lot of cyclists have recently been able to upgrade to
their dream bike. I blame the Bush tax cut. Get those cyclists back on
the Jamises and Fujis they deserve!

Ducks, runs,
--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.wiredcola.com
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

Old July 11th 04, 04:10 PM
Mark Hickey

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

In article ,
"Dave Thompson" wrote:

I seriously doubt Kerry's rides on his Serotta has spurred sales of the
brand. Serotta builds about 3000 frames a year, so there's been no huge
increase in the Serotta population of late. In the last several years there
has been much more awareness of the brand as a premium maker, and the
Serotta forum is widely read as a source of good information about things
bike.

Serottas are a premium luxury product. The increased number on the road
indicate that a lot of cyclists have recently been able to upgrade to
their dream bike. I blame the Bush tax cut. Get those cyclists back on
the Jamises and Fujis they deserve!

Ducks, runs,

Heh.

Mark Hickey