SPD pedal advice for town bike

Old July 13th 04, 11:56 PM
DRS

Default SPD pedal advice for town bike

"Gregory Sutter" wrote in message

On 2004-07-13, foldedpath wrote:
For years I've been using Shimano pedals that are SPD on one side
and a normal cage on the other. This is on a bike used mainly in
town, and for light trail riding. I always thought it was nice to
keep the ability to just hop on the bike with whatever I'm wearing
on my feet for a short trip to the local store (about 10 blocks).

You should follow your instinct and replace them with the modern
equivalent, SPD-M324.
http://bike.shimano.com/footwear_ped...ls/pd-m324.asp

That uses a multi-release cleat. If I remember correctly, aren't
single-release cleats supposed to be superior?

--

A: Top-posters.

Old July 14th 04, 12:44 AM
foldedpath

"Chris R" wrote in news:tTYIc.91059$OB3.67663
@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Nasbar sells a Sneaker Adapter that fits over SPD style pedals and allows
you to wear non-cleated shoes. - $4.95. I've never used them though.

Thanks for the heads-up. I noticed that in addition to the house brand
sneaker adapter, they also carry a similar "Deckster" adapter:

http://tinyurl.com/28y62

But it's more expensive. This looks like the kind of thing where I'd want
to buy several extras, because I know I'd misplace or lose a few here and
there, if I'm swapping them on and off the pedals. The Nashbar version
looks good enough.

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I'll probably just get the one sided PD-
M324 pedals, but I'm saving this info about the clip-in platforms in case I
switch over later to double-sided pedals. And yes, the rusty ones I have
now are a little over 10 years old, so I'm sure the current ones probably
work a little better.

--
Mike Barrs

Old July 14th 04, 12:50 AM
foldedpath

"DRS" wrote in news:cd1paa$fpl$1
@lust.ihug.co.nz:

"Gregory Sutter" wrote in message

You should follow your instinct and replace them with the modern
equivalent, SPD-M324.
http://bike.shimano.com/footwear_ped...ls/pd-m324.asp

That uses a multi-release cleat. If I remember correctly, aren't
single-release cleats supposed to be superior?

The reason I went with multi-release when I got my first clip-in pedals
years ago, is that I have bad knees (kneecap tracking problems, including
kneecap dislocation if I'm not careful). I can't afford to have my knee
torqued if my leg is going one way, and the bike is going another way in an
accident. As I understand it, multi-release is better for unexpected,
violent release from the pedal in an accident. It also gives me more
options for disengaging on the "safe" side of my knee twisting range.

I'm not sure what the advantages of single-release are.

--
Mike Barrs

Old July 14th 04, 12:52 AM
Jeff Starr

On 2004-07-13, foldedpath wrote:
For years I've been using Shimano pedals that are SPD on one side
and a normal cage on the other. This is on a bike used mainly in
town, and for light trail riding. I always thought it was nice to
keep the ability to just hop on the bike with whatever I'm wearing
on my feet for a short trip to the local store (about 10 blocks).

You should follow your instinct and replace them with the modern
equivalent, SPD-M324.
http://bike.shimano.com/footwear_ped...ls/pd-m324.asp

That uses a multi-release cleat. If I remember correctly, aren't
single-release cleats supposed to be superior?

Hi, they come with multi-release 55 cleat, but you can use the 51 with
them. The 324s are marketed as a beginners clipless pedal and that is
why I think they use the 55 cleats. I have never had a problem with
them, but I believe a very strong rider might. Odds are, he can use
his current cleats, when he gets new pedals, if he stays with Shimano
SPDs.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Old July 14th 04, 12:52 AM
Jeff Starr

Old July 14th 04, 12:56 AM
DRS

"foldedpath" wrote in message
. 3.44
"Chris R" wrote in
news:tTYIc.91059$OB3.67663 @bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Nasbar sells a Sneaker Adapter that fits over SPD style pedals and
allows you to wear non-cleated shoes. - $4.95. I've never used
them though.

Thanks for the heads-up. I noticed that in addition to the house brand
sneaker adapter, they also carry a similar "Deckster" adapter:

http://tinyurl.com/28y62

But it's more expensive. This looks like the kind of thing where I'd
want to buy several extras, because I know I'd misplace or lose a few
here and there, if I'm swapping them on and off the pedals. The
Nashbar version looks good enough.

Does anyone know of this type of adapter on which you could mount a standard
set of plastic toe-clips? Yes, I want the best of both worlds.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old July 14th 04, 04:14 AM
Alan Hoyle

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:56:32 +1000, DRS wrote:

Does anyone know of this type of adapter on which you could mount a standard
set of plastic toe-clips? Yes, I want the best of both worlds.

Toe clips for SPD and Look respectively.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5245
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5245

I have a pair of the former. I've used them once or twice and they
worked fine. They mostly just sit on my shelf at work, as I've come
to prefer the ability to clip/unclip easily. I use walkable "touring"
style shoes most of the time.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/