SPD pedal advice for town bike

Old July 14th 04, 04:14 AM
Alan Hoyle

Default SPD pedal advice for town bike

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:56:32 +1000, DRS wrote:

Does anyone know of this type of adapter on which you could mount a standard
set of plastic toe-clips? Yes, I want the best of both worlds.

Toe clips for SPD and Look respectively.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5245
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5245

I have a pair of the former. I've used them once or twice and they
worked fine. They mostly just sit on my shelf at work, as I've come
to prefer the ability to clip/unclip easily. I use walkable "touring"
style shoes most of the time.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.
Old July 14th 04, 01:18 PM
DRS

"Alan Hoyle" wrote in message

[...]

Toe clips for SPD and Look respectively.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5245

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5245

I have a pair of the former. I've used them once or twice and they
worked fine. They mostly just sit on my shelf at work, as I've come
to prefer the ability to clip/unclip easily. I use walkable "touring"
style shoes most of the time.

Ah, most excellent. Do you find you need to adjust your saddle height to
compensate?

--

A: Top-posters.

Old July 14th 04, 02:34 PM
Alan Hoyle

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:18:31 +1000, DRS wrote:
"Alan Hoyle" wrote in message

[...]

Toe clips for SPD and Look respectively.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5245

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5245

I have a pair of the former. I've used them once or twice and they
worked fine. They mostly just sit on my shelf at work, as I've come
to prefer the ability to clip/unclip easily. I use walkable "touring"
style shoes most of the time.

Ah, most excellent. Do you find you need to adjust your saddle height to
compensate?

I suppose the height should be marginally adjusted, but I've never
bothered. The furthest I've ridden while using them is about 2 miles,
so I haven't been concerned with making sure the fit is perfect....

-alan

Old July 15th 04, 08:09 AM
Prometheus

--On Tuesday, July 13, 2004 12:48 AM +0000 foldedpath
wrote:

For years I've been using Shimano pedals that are SPD on one side and a
normal cage on the other. This is on a bike used mainly in town, and for
light trail riding. I always thought it was nice to keep the ability to
just hop on the bike with whatever I'm wearing on my feet for a short
trip to the local store (about 10 blocks).

For a longer ride, I'll wear my cleated shoes -- Shimano sandals for
summer, entry-level Shimano road shoes for winter. I'm comfortable with
flipping over to get the right side of the pedal, but it does give me one
more thing to think about, when I'm in heavy traffic and trying to get
across an intersection from a standing start.

The pedals are getting old and rusty, so I'm shopping for a replacement.
I can replace these with the current Shimano version of the same pedal.

Or... should I consider something like the Shimano PD-M424 "ATB" pedal
which has the clip on both sides? It looks like there's a little bit of
platform there that I could ride with normal shoes, for short distances.
It would be nice to not worry about flipping over the pedal to get on
the right side. But without actually getting the pedal under my foot, I
don't know what it would feel like with normal shoes or sandals.

What do y'all think? I'm a total newbie when it comes to pedal choices,
even though I've been riding these one-sided SPD things for a long time.
I just don't pay much attention to stuff like this, until I have to
replace something.

P.S. I also want to be able to wear cleated shoes and sandals that have
enough rubber that I can walk into a store, or my own house, without
tearing up the wood floors. I don't know if that makes a difference here.
My current Shimano shoes and cleats are okay for this.

--
Mike Barrs

If you're willing to fork the cash (almost $100, but about 2/3 that on
ebay), I love my Crank Bros. Mallet C for just this purpose. Its also like
a DH/Freeride pedal, but its basically your standard MTB platform with the
Eggbeater in the middle. I'm using them as a "transition" pedal so I can go
to clipless when I'm willing to commit the dough to actual cycling shoes,
but I can still go MTB'ing with my sneakers (actually usually skate/bmx
shoes, which may be better for MTB in a crash) in the meantime.

Mike
Mechanical Engineering 2006, Carnegie Mellon University
Remove nospam to reply.