Has anyone ever rode to school?

Old July 24th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
osmundo

Default Has anyone ever rode to school?

I teach high school and I ride my coker the ten miles to and from work
two or three times a week. Its definitely not sketchy, just a great
way to keep in shape and not pollute on the commute.

--
osmundo
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 24th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unitik908

In eight grade i rode to school everyday.
I don't any more.
It was a 28" and it was only like half a mile.
I could get there sub 3 minutes if i really had to.

Chase

--
Unitik908

All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
R.I.P Unibiker
R.I.P Gazzaloddi
R.I.P Paul Hester
R.I.P James Doohan
R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
R.I.P Peter Jennings
R.I.P Pope John Paul II
R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
YAMS

-last edited by the dave and sigpoose on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 pm -
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 24th 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
nathan

Here's how Beau did it the hard way, back in 5th grade:
http://nhoover.smugmug.com/gallery/1215685

---Nathan

--
nathan
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 24th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Uniman_3

i want to do it one day but its like a 30-45 minute car ride to my
school from my house...
my teachers are cool though about me bringing my uni to school cuse i
end up leaving it in classrooms or the principles office..

--
Uniman_3

Words are made to strike the minds of the unsuspecting.
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 24th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hobo_chuck

iridemymuni wrote:

Has anyone ever rode their unicycle to school, I mean how sketchy would
that be?

wait, wait............there are people who don't ride their uni to
school/work?

whoa.....

never saw that one coming......

--
hobo_chuck

'' (http://www.lost.eu/53187)its not easy being
gold!'' (http://www.lost.eu/53187)
'a hobo named chuck eats a sandwich!-youtube'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO5XlmxIcAo)
'blue man group-global warming'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snPdEl0Duoo)

Sesquipedalophobia- Fear of long words
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 24th 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

oneisenough wrote:
dang.. i wish i could but my school is like 7-8 miles away... that would
be a long and butt chaiffing--(spelling?) ride on a 20 trials... thats
the bigest wheel that i've got.

'Chamibutter' (http://tinyurl.com/yotqkm)

Well, time for another uni

nathan wrote:
Here's how Beau did it the hard way, back in 5th grade:
http://nhoover.smugmug.com/gallery/1215685

---Nathan

I saw that pic a while ago and it inspired me to some day to be able to
do the same, but bigger wheel - sns it's easier and faster.

How long did it take him? How many breaks did he have to take?

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.
Parafrasing a pro skater when asked for advise to kids who wanted to
get much better and maybee turn pro one day.
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 25th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
oneisenough

skilewis74 wrote:
Well, time for another uni

yeah.. but i gotta save $ for a truck and i also am getting a new
trials wheel ... but a 24 or 26 muni would be nice

--
oneisenough
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 25th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gerblefranklin

I rode for all of 9th grade... I had mixed experiences riding to school.
There was a park next door, so riding trials after school was great,
but I was at a very inner city school (two students shot and killed
during the year, another shot in the arm, and fights pretty often).
Kids tried to kick the wheel out from under me all the time, but often
were more impressed that I didn't fall. No need to tell you how little
you notice a kick to the back of the wheel. By the end of the year
hardly anyone bothered me, unless I did stuff like ride down flights of
stairs or jump picnic tables. As for really getting around, a bike is
far faster.

In college unicycling is the perfect way to get around. I leave mine
unlocked everywhere on campus, except on friday and saturday nights,
since drunk people try to ride it.

--
gerblefranklin

Nick's main man.

"I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 25th 07, 05:39 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Rowan

I rode my 20" unicycle to school back when I went to Spotswood college
(high school) a few times, but mostly I just got a ride in the car with
my dad (who taught there) and rode my unicycle in between classes, and
at lunch time. It took me a while being on the other side of town. It
was not sketchy at all- I was allowed to lean my unicycle against the
wall in all my classes rather than have to lock it in a bike rack.

I have been unicycling in from Bell Block to Central School (~8km) to
teach unicycling at lunch times this week. It is not sketchy- I wear a
high vis vest and bag cover, and I feel safe sharing the highway with
cars and trucks even though the bike lanes and shoulders are not very
consistent. I can see how less experienced riders might be put off by
the poorly designed cycling facilities.

gerblefranklin wrote:
As for really getting around, a bike is far faster.

I disagree-a coker is quite comparable to bikes for speed. By law, bikes
must stop at red lights, whereas unicyclists can choose when it is safe
for them to go (you have the excuse- "No brakes!") And footpaths are
free game too for unicycles. So they are a bit slower but I would not
say far slower. A 36" or 28" can be much faster than a car when the
traffic is congested. Get an accident or something to back the cars up
and you will pass hundreds of them.

--
Rowan
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 25th 07, 07:08 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gerblefranklin

Yeah, whatever you say Rowan. Maybe cops in New Zealand are idiots, but,
well, the ones up here are idiots in the way that they'll ticket you
just as much for cokering through a red light as they will for biking
through it.

As for curbs, I regularly hit up sidewalks on my bike (being careful to
be respectful to pedestrians), and also pass cars on downhills.
Cyclists in SF regularly blow through stop signs and red lights (I only
do the former). So sure, tell yourself that a coker is comparable, and
while you wheeze about that, I'll enjoy how little I'm pedaling while
pulling 35 down a hill while passing cars. Out of curiosity, Rowan, how
many coker riders do you know who can jump speedbumps and potholes at
25mph and above? As for traffic, what makes a coker dramatically better
for lane splitting than a bike? I ride in rush hour downtown traffic on
my bike every day. I pass hundreds of cars, and have yet to see where a
coker would be any faster.

I am rather annoyed by unicyclists who claim that they are comparable
in speed to bicyclists. Yeah, a physically fit coker rider will burn
granny on her sunday ride, but pitted against an equally strong and
skilled bicyclist, there's no competition. I'm not biased towards
bikes--I love unicycles. But delusions won't change how must faster I
get to work in the morning when on my bike.

--
gerblefranklin

Nick's main man.

"I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex
http://www.usenet.com

Ah...Just Rode the Upright Again! NYC XYZ General 13 June 7th 06 09:33 PM
Ah...Just Rode the Upright Again! NYC XYZ Techniques 13 June 7th 06 09:33 PM
Highland Middle School Bicycle to School Day Claire Petersky General 5 May 23rd 06 02:25 AM
I rode today Gman Mountain Biking 44 February 22nd 06 09:30 PM
I just rode the new GT iT1 Dave Mountain Biking 9 January 10th 06 10:26 AM