Unique Aluminum trials Frame

Old August 6th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dunawan

Default Unique Aluminum trials Frame

You must run a milling machine, eh?

--
dunawan
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 6th 07, 05:35 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Uniman_3

Thats a pretty nice looking frame!
Are you going to engrave anything into it?
Could you take some pictures of the bearing housings and post them?

--
Uniman_3

Words are made to strike the minds of the unsuspecting.
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 6th 07, 06:18 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gerblefranklin

Thanks for the compliments guy.

Dunawan, yes. That was the first project I ever attempted in a machine
shop. Considering I only scrapped one part: the seattube, I figure I
did well. Now I work in a cnc machine shop where we do work that's more
complicated than that pretty regularly.

Uniman, I'm sorry, but right now I'm on the west coast, but that frame
and the wheel it's on are in storage at my college on the east coast.
The bottom bearing caps are just run of the mill stamped (like on yuni
frames) but the tops are machined into the forklegs. I used what is
called a flycutter ont hat job, and got surprisingly accurate results,
considering the proper tool for the job would e a cnc milling machine,
rotary table, or boring head. I could engrave the frame, but I don't
plan to. Quality engraving requires a cnc milling machine, and while I
do have access to one up to the job, it's just not worth my time to do.

Fell_The_Light, that's a funny idea. I wish I would have thought of it.
Now it's rather lost its luster and is pretty scratched up from some
hard riding.

For those who care, it is worthy of note that one of the hardest parts
of a unicycle frame is the bearing holders. Many potential frame
builders (myself included) have been held back by the challenge of make
adequate holders.

--
gerblefranklin

Nick's main man.

"I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 6th 07, 06:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Uniman_3

Oh thats ok then. when you use a CNC machine dont you have to use a
computer program first though to kind of tell the CNC machine wat to
do?

Old August 6th 07, 07:04 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
teachndad

gerblefranklin wrote:
Thanks yall.

This will never be painted, though. Paint on aluminum is like bronzing
a gold medal, yes it looks good, but the original is still better. I
plan to anodize it if anything, or spray it with blue layout fluid,
which is like a cheap, fast and easy anodization.

Bevan,

Did you ever coat the frame with anything? I thought Aluminum can
weaken due to oxidation.

--
teachndad

Rod Wylie 'MountainUnicyclingLA.com'
(http://www.mountainunicyclingla.com)
'UnicycleTips.com' (http://UnicycleTips.com)
'UnicycleRoundupLA.com/' (http://unicycleroundupla.com/)
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 6th 07, 07:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gerblefranklin

Uniman, that's exactly right. The actual machining time would be like 5
minutes, but it would take me ages to setup and program it, since I'm
not very good on cnc machine yet.

I never did coat the frame. Aluminum can weaken due to certain types of
corrosion, but not oxidation. Aluminum oxide creates an extremely hard,
well sealed coat on the surface of aluminum parts exposed to air,
preventing further oxidation. There's no chance of oxidation further
damaging the frame. That said, I have seen corrosion from aluminum
reacting with carbonic acid that naturally occurs in water exposed to
air. This was in stationary aluminum sculptures we made at work, and
occurred after years of being rained on without being dried. So long
story short, I'm not concerned about compromising the frame's strength.

--
gerblefranklin

Nick's main man.

"I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex
http://www.usenet.com

Amazing new trials frame Jeff Groves Unicycling 60 August 5th 05 03:59 AM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
steel, carbon, aluminum Bob Anderson Techniques 61 August 20th 04 04:46 AM
Aluminum bolts in Ti frame? Ted Techniques 8 December 13th 03 03:12 PM
Aluminum Frame Life Expectancy GRL General 1 July 16th 03 09:39 AM