How do you Beat the Heat?

Old August 6th 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Memphis Mud

Default How do you Beat the Heat?

Our regular MUni group has been moving the starting time up up up. It's
now at 730 am. We typically ride the trails that are totally or mostly
shaded. We finish sopping wet and just exausted enough. Typically a 3
or 4 mile Stanky Creek Ride [NAUCC06 Muni race venue]. Temps don't get
over 95. Moving creates breeze. Therefore rest stops are brief and
numerous.

I carry plenty of water and a cereal bar [or two] of some type.

Yesterday's Coker ride was about 6.5 miles out and 5.5 miles back. East
Memphis road rides are mostly flat [although on the out leg, I included
a couple of miles of the tour d'Wolf Mountain B*ke trail for kicks].
The mid-ish point is the visitor's center at Shelby Farms Park
[NAUCC06ers might remember] to refill water bottle and eat a snack, sit
in some AC. Outside Temp was about 100F. I felt fine on the way out.
But on the way back, I bonk. The last 1/4 of the ride is no fun at all.
I stopped at stragegic points to get in shade and cool down. The bonk
doesn't faze in, it hits all at once, like a surfboard in the face.

Cokering, I don't stop too much because remounting the Beast seems to
wear me out more than just riding. I'm not a newbie 36er. I ride
relaxed and comfortable. With temps in the 70s and 80s we regularly
ride 15 to 20 miles with no bonking.

Any tips would be appreciated. Looks like the heat's going to be hear
for a while.

-Tom.

--
Memphis Mud
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 6th 07, 01:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dale_dale

[image: http://www.ukpollingreport.co.uk/images/map.gif]

--
dale_dale

freedom of style
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 6th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Uniman_3

I mostly ride street and I go for evening and night rides instead of
going in the middle of day. The heats not bad in the evening or at
night so for me its the most preferable time to ride.

--
Uniman_3

Words are made to strike the minds of the unsuspecting.
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 6th 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unicorn

For MUni rides we have been hiting the trails by 6am or even earlier.
We are thinking of getting "coal mining lights" the flash light that
you put on your helmet and doing night rides by the light of the moon.

For Trials riding I have been hitting the promenades, High tech plazas
and outdoor malls after dark there are usually plenty of street lights
in those kinds of places.

It is still hot as hell here in Israel even though it is dark or very
early in the morning. The thing that keeps me going is the knowledge
that it is going to cool down in less that two months.

Doesn't Global warming Suck!

Unicorn

--
Unicorn

Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the pedals, and you will
accomplish great feats!
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 6th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

Memphis Mud wrote:
Any tips would be appreciated. Looks like the heat's going to be hear
for a while.

-Tom.

You need to replace your electrolytes and simple sugars. I've read
that you can make your own sports drink w/ 500mg of salt, 1 lemon, 2
black teabags, 3 Tbs. of sugar for 32 oz. of drink (I think those
proportions are right). But the taste.......well it's like really
sweet and salty lemonade Sports drinks taste better and often work a
bit better. I'd get some at my LBS.

I've tried adding about that much salt to 50% diluted orange juice. It
worked lot better than water and didn't taste -that -bad.

Edit: I used to go running as early as I could and still sort of see
where I was going, 5-5:30 in the summer. Now I've been too lazy to get
up real early.

Threadjack: I get REALLY hot while riding and need to consume 2-3 times
as many calories. In all other sports heat isn't an issue and my
needed intake will up by maybe 50%. Anybody else notice this?

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.
Parafrasing a pro skater when asked for advise to kids who wanted to
get much better and maybee turn pro one day.
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 6th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
thejdw

I don't find it so bad

--
thejdw

kington99 wrote:
A hobnob is an oaty biscuit, the fact that they don't exist in america
just goes to show that you have no culinary heritage

http://www.usenet.com
Old August 6th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Joseppi

Mouse and I rode RAGBRAI this year, and the temps were always around 95
degrees with pretty high humidity. I guess being out in it all day,
you stop thinking about it. But the biggest key I think is to be sure
to drink way more water than you think you need, then replace
electrolytes whenever possible. But one rule of thumb is that you
should never get thirsty; just always keeping drinking--a decent gulp
every 2 minutes or so.

--
Joseppi
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 6th 07, 04:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
SqueakyOnion

Hydrate BEFORE you go out. Drink a bottle or two (or three) of water a
few hours before you head out. You'll be well hydrated and won't tire
so quickly.

--
SqueakyOnion

I put the *emo* in h*emo*globin.
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 6th 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

Wearing a wet t shirt, in the shade.
For a drink I pull a 2 quart jug out of the freezer the bottom 1/4
frozen solid. To this I add a mix of black and green tea. No sugar (I
am fat), and no salt (at my age I eat to much of that anyway). The ice
melts by the time it's to dark to ride anymore. I almost never drink it
all, and put the last part back in the freezer for the next day.
I think the whole electrolyte stuff is put in our heads from gatorade
marketing.Green tea is supposed to vaguely good for your health, and
the caffeine gives a small lift. Plain cold water works as well IMHO as
anything else.

--
feel the light
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 6th 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
zfreak220

'try this.' (http://tinyurl.com/24vfzx)

--
zfreak220

KH fund: $368.71/$390-$21.29 left-august 11th

Unicaw89 wrote:
Special thanks to Jesus, cause he gives me pimpsauce in a can that I
spread around to the world!

danger_uni wrote:
I like my women like my gin; 10 years old and mixed up with coke.

http://www.usenet.com

Beating the heat aspenmike Unicycling 12 July 26th 05 01:52 AM
Dealing with heat catzz66 General 58 July 2nd 05 05:03 PM
"It's a dry heat..." [email protected] Mountain Biking 2 June 28th 05 05:57 PM
Beating the heat Ken General 16 May 25th 05 03:58 AM
We're having a heat wave Maggie General 7 February 26th 05 06:50 AM