Titanium

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 14th 04, 12:07 AM
showard

Default Titanium

Sometimes I have too much fun!

Some time ago I decided to make some Profile splined hubs. The hubs
turned out just so-so ... the fit between the splines on the axle and
the splines in the crank is touchy and hard to control. I've given up
on making Profile splines for now but I'm still tinkering with other
ideas.

During my "Profile Phase" I made a titanium axle with Profile splines.
I don't have much experience machining titanium and the splines didn't
turn out well. This axle sat on the shelf until last weekend when I was
making an axle with square tapers and decided to try re-machining the ti
axle to a square taper.

The machining went pretty well so I decided to make a whole hub - axle
and hub shell. As usual, I photographed the various machining steps and
put them in 'this gallery' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/Ti)

I'm not done with the hub. I still have to drill the shell for the
spokes, make a key for the keyway and assemble it. The remnants of the
Profile splines are kind of weird and that's where the bearings will be.
I'm not sure if I'll press a 40mm o.d. x .750" i.d. bearing on the
splines or turn the splined area down to 17mm for a 40mm x 17mm
bearing.

Also, I'm not exactly sure what I'll do with this hub after it's done
but I have an idea ... stay tuned!

SH

--
showard - ------