Where to buy Drilliums in the USA?

Old July 9th 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Default Where to buy Drilliums in the USA?

zfreak220 wrote:
For that price, just go for 'Straitline platform pedals'
(http://www.straitlinecomponents.com/products/pedals.php) ($120).
Tougher and way better looking (IMO). Only problem is, the only place
that has them in stock only has 'white' (http://tinyurl.com/5c3wmo).

This pedal uses the infamous "C" ring clip on the end of the spindle,
just like the aircorps I had such high hopes for and turned out to be a
disaster!

That clip design is big trouble, and the whole pedal is more likely to
fly right off the spindle, especially when a lot of force from a drop
is applied. No way jose!

--
MuniAddict

'My new Website! Thanks UTV!' (http://unigeezer.com/)
Old July 9th 08, 06:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
zfreak220

They have a specially designed C-clip that only comes off if more than
accidental pressure is applied to both sides. And if there happens to
be a perfect hit and the C-clip comes off there's another one under it.
They call it their double redundant clip system. They use polymer
bearings instead of regular bearings, so you won't need to replace,
regrease/clean, or worry about your pedals flying off the spindle like
other sealed pedals. Maintenance-free means more time riding.

Edit: On page 3 of the review it gives dimensions. The pedals are 98cm
wide.

'Review with lots of sick pictures. (page 2)'
(http://tinyurl.com/6fodog)

--
zfreak220

-Conrad
Old July 9th 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Here is the actual email response I just received from straitline: (I am
wondering though, how old this particular rep is, by some of the
phrasing used, lol)

I love this question!!!!! First person to bluntly just say it
straight up! First off you got our name wrong… Straitline no gh
that’s the parent company, Straightline Precision Ind.
So our biggest issue when we entered the scene is following the
footsteps of previous designs. People find it easier to just classify
you but no one has ever done a design like ours using full igus
bushings. Atom did DU and this is nothing to what we do. But they did
make us want to do our design more than ever so maybe their issue was a
blessing.

C clips are gay and dangerous. Even Dave Watson had peddles fly off
in mid air and this is a huge liability. Kinda like just using c slips
as lug nuts on your car. We developed a system as a gift for the
industry, it is called a Double Redundancy System.
I do not want to bore you with text talk so watch the video I made on
the blog. 'www.straitline.blogspot.com'
(http://www.straitline.blogspot.com/) scroll down to the pedal tech. I
build up and tear down the pedals and explain the redundancy system.
Nothing new just new to biking, Same as the bushings they are and have
been proven better than bearings in every industry for over 15 years.

We also use special clips that are a bitch to put on and get off as
they grip around the spindle. First clip holds a retention disk that is
shaped like a Frisbee entombing the secondary poodle clip. So…
under impact the ring is wider than the clip so it acts as protection
but if that rock or stick manages to catch the poodle clip it will fly
off. But underneath that disk that just came off is a secondary clip
further down spindle that will spin when hit. Unless the worlds
smallest forked stick hits it head on it will just lift and spin.
Double Redundancy.

Watch the video it will make sense. But basically imagine your four
by four was a dually and you outer tire blew off in a dh race. It would
fly off into the crowds and taek a few people out but you have a
secondary tire further in on the axle and you do not even notice the
other on game.

Ummm if any of that made sense awesome, if not let me know.

Cheers,

Greg Parish
Marketing & Brand Development
straitline Components

Old July 10th 08, 12:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
412

Very l33t motivation of why Straitline are excellent.

It's good to know that the "peddles" don't have gay parts in case I
decide to try them in the future...

Getting some Drilliums... Speedplay sure does make it hard to buy their
products, almost like they don't want my money. Perhaps they've mistaken
me for some drug dealer or something...? :P

Anyway I will get back with a review in a few months regarding how they
fare in wed and muddy conditions (if I remember), since that seems to be
a concern for some people here. I'm more worried about thick mud getting
stuck and not so much about sealing (expensive doesn't automatically
mean good so seals may be an issue too).

--
412