Forester says...

Old February 9th 11, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
James[_8_]

Default Forester says...

Dan O wrote:
On Feb 8, 2:16 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:

... and super-steep
hills in every direction. Old, dense, and damned hard to ride a bike
in! Pittsburgh cyclists have my admiration.

How about "Whjee!"

(Seriously, I thought you were uber-competent ;-)

Frank would have us believe so, AFAICT.

JS.

Old February 9th 11, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 2/7/2011 11:42 PM, Wes Newell wrote:
On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 19:30:47 -0600, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° wrote:

Wes Newell appears to believe summary execution for petty theft is
morally correct.

I hate to keep this OT crap going, but I never said that, nor do I
believe it.

You certainly implied it. Maybe a writing course is in order?

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old February 9th 11, 03:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
DirtRoadie

On Feb 8, 7:24*pm, James wrote:
Dan O wrote:
On Feb 8, 2:16 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
... and super-steep
hills in every direction. *Old, dense, and damned hard to ride a bike
in! *Pittsburgh cyclists have my admiration.

How about "Whjee!"

(Seriously, I thought you were uber-competent ;-)

Frank would have us believe so, AFAICT.

Frank has described all sorts of wonderful fantasies about how great
he is. Of course he has never cited any authority OTHER than himself
for such claims. ;-)

DR
Old February 9th 11, 03:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Chalo

Frank Krygowski wrote:

BTW, in addition to "grid" and "dendritic" I'd like another word for
describing Pittsburgh. *Something that conveys a dense, intensely
confusing tangle of streets with few right angles and super-steep
hills in every direction. *Old, dense, and damned hard to ride a bike
in! *Pittsburgh cyclists have my admiration.

That makes me think of my dad's hometown in Colombia. Here's a map
view of his old neighborhood:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.034633&z=15

or http://preview.tinyurl.com/69ej7wh

I visited there recently, and despite the numbered streets and avenues
(which weren't always), routes from A to B tended to be non-
intuitive. I think a combination of hilly terrain and original
development without a plat or site plan led to a layout that has some
qualities of a grid, but isn't a grid.

I saw plenty of folks bicycling there, but almost all of them were
very local delivery guys.

Chalo
Old February 9th 11, 02:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Duane Hebert[_4_]

On 2/8/2011 5:16 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Feb 8, 1:58 pm, wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:

It's not so much the absolute population size that makes one place so
different from another as population density.

There is also the difference between a pre-motoring grid (or pre-
industrial irregular mesh) layout, and a post-WWII dendritic layout
where alternate routes have been eradicated by design. That is less a
function of density and more a function of age. It makes a huge
difference in the relationship between motor and non-motor traffic, as
you know but as some others are slow to acknowledge.

I think the grid vs. dendritic layout may be more important (and I
like the word dendritic to describe that). For one thing, this metro
area is, rather famously, losing population. The density is way down,
particularly in the older areas, but the cycling is great because of
the grid layout. In that context, reduced density actually helps.

As it happens, I live right on the border between grid and dendritic.
Fortunately, I don't have to deal with much of the latter before I'm
out of town, at least in two directions.

BTW, in addition to "grid" and "dendritic" I'd like another word for
describing Pittsburgh. Something that conveys a dense, intensely
confusing tangle of streets with few right angles and super-steep
hills in every direction. Old, dense, and damned hard to ride a bike
in! Pittsburgh cyclists have my admiration.

Sounds like Boston except not so many steep hills.
Old February 9th 11, 06:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
DirtRoadie

On Feb 8, 3:16*pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:

...and super-steep hills in every direction.
*Old, dense, and damned hard to ride a bike
in! *Pittsburgh cyclists have my admiration.

So cars don't suck but varied terrain is bad?
Boy, do you ever have it backwards!

DR