One day he'll understand what 1/2 step gearing is. :-)

Old April 11th 12, 10:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Default One day he'll understand what 1/2 step gearing is. :-)

"Filippo Pozzato (Katusha) swapped the standard SRAM Red inner
chainring for a bigger one made by Specialites TA."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...roubaix/168512
Old April 11th 12, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

thirty-six wrote:

"Filippo Pozzato (Katusha) swapped the standard SRAM Red inner
chainring for a bigger one made by Specialites TA."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...re-bikes-from-...

These guys are running 11-speed corncobs and you are still discussing
half step? What would that be, a 52-53 double?

Planet Wherever must be fanciful this time of year.

Chalo
Old April 11th 12, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Chalo wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
"Filippo Pozzato (Katusha) swapped the standard SRAM Red inner
chainring for a bigger one made by Specialites TA."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...re-bikes-from-...

These guys are running 11-speed corncobs and you are still discussing
half step? What would that be, a 52-53 double?

Planet Wherever must be fanciful this time of year.

It's not unreasonable gearing given the event.

Delivering pizza in Pittsburgh would indicate a lower gear
but not Paris Roubaix.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old April 11th 12, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Apr 11, 6:54*pm, Chalo wrote:
thirty-six wrote:

"Filippo Pozzato (Katusha) swapped the standard SRAM Red inner
chainring for a bigger one made by Specialites TA."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...re-bikes-from-...

These guys are running 11-speed corncobs and you are still discussing
half step? *What would that be, a 52-53 double?

Planet Wherever must be fanciful this time of year.

Chalo

53-55 I guess, primarily for use with the 13, 14 and 15 sprockets,
although I have heard of 54-57, but that was before the 11 sprocket
and maybe even the widespread use of a 12. When one is giving it
one's all, an inbteweeny at 30-40mph can make a big difference in what
punishment a rider takes. For the sections where the team leaders
expect to make the most time, they should probably choose chainrings
which pair with the 14 sprocket. With 4 teeth and less between rings,
there is no need for fancy shifters, pins, ramps and chain-catchers so
you will not hear much about this. I'd expect every prepared rider to
have 6 or less between rings for this race but there's a market out
there..
Old April 13th 12, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

AMuzi wrote:

Chalo wrote:

These guys are running 11-speed corncobs and you are still discussing
half step? *What would that be, a 52-53 double?

It's not unreasonable gearing given the event.

Delivering pizza in Pittsburgh would indicate a lower gear
but not Paris Roubaix.

It's not the absolute gearing, but the suggestion of half step on a
cassette with single tooth jumps that I found ridiculous.

Chalo
Old April 14th 12, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Apr 13, 6:33*pm, Chalo wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

Chalo wrote:

These guys are running 11-speed corncobs and you are still discussing
half step? *What would that be, a 52-53 double?

It's not unreasonable gearing given the event.

Delivering pizza in Pittsburgh would indicate a lower gear
but not Paris Roubaix.

It's not the absolute gearing, but the suggestion of half step on a
cassette with single tooth jumps that I found ridiculous.

Chalo

In a paceline one generally want's to use the highest sustainable gear
when draughting but can use with advantage a slightly lower gear when
powering through the front. At 38mph plus, the advantage of an in-
between gear can help save much muscle tension with acidosis, meaning
the top riders can power away on their own through the pave sections.
A 13 to 12 can be a big jump for one already developing acidosis and
being able to run a slightly lower gear can mean the ability to
disperse the acid from the muscle with the accompanying increase in
lung ventilation, hert rate and volume.
Old May 29th 12, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
velodancer

On Apr 11, 10:54*am, Chalo wrote:
thirty-six wrote:

"Filippo Pozzato (Katusha) swapped the standard SRAM Red inner
chainring for a bigger one made by Specialites TA."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...re-bikes-from-...

These guys are running 11-speed corncobs and you are still discussing
half step? *What would that be, a 52-53 double?

Planet Wherever must be fanciful this time of year.

Chalo

A Frejus I bought in 1968 used (I was in jr high) had a 47/49 with
what passed for a corncob back then. My first 10 speed and had sewups.
3 percent shifts! Noticeable at high cadence.

1983 bought a Cannondale ST-500 with half step to go touring for a
year. Loved it! Loaded bike with a 6 speed 13-34, most times a single
shift rear was what I needed. Going fast, I had every gear I needed
with very even 10 percent shifts. Way better than corncobs for
touring, commuting, and leisurely riding. Sold it in New Zealand for
what I had paid for it on the way home, and bought an even better
ST-400 next year for more touring.

Still love half step gearing. It would make a lot of sense for anyone
these days if integrated with electric shifters. 6 speed cog on rear
with 10 speed spacing is a recipe for reduced weight, far improved
chainline, every gear useable, no duplicates, even steps, and no shift
pattern skills required with one gear shifter.
Old May 30th 12, 05:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:03:54 AM UTC-5, thirty-six wrote:
"Filippo Pozzato (Katusha) swapped the standard SRAM Red inner
chainring for a bigger one made by Specialites TA."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...roubaix/168512

For those who may not know waht half step gearing is... The percentage difference between the front chainrings is half the percentage change between each cog on the cassette/freewheel. The shifting sequence to the next harder or easier gear is always the same. Shift up or down between chainrings. Or shift between chainrings and up or down the cassette one cog. Its always one of those two sequences.

A very good half step gearing configuration for touring is a triple with 48-45 outer middle chainrings and an inner of as low as possible. The percent difference between the 48 and 45 is 6.7%. The nine speed rear would be 11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32. The percent difference between each cog from the 12 onwards is 16.7% - 14.3% - 12.5% - 16.7% - 14.3% - 16.7% - 14.3%. The 6.7% difference between chainrings is roughly close to half the difference between cogs. Not exact but close enough.

Half step plus super granny works pretty well with a touring bike. Although with the advent of 9 and 10 speed cassettes, its just as good to go with decent spaced chainrings and the 1-2 or so steps between cogs and just do most of your shifting with the rear and only change chainrings when needed. My current touring setup is 44-33-20 chainrings and 11-12-13-15-17-19-22-25-28-32 ten speed cassette. I just leave it in the middle chainring most of the time.
Old May 30th 12, 07:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
velodancer

I disagree that it is "just as good'. My issue is that for touring
use, that typically requires double shifts in the rear. A second
caveat is that staying in your 33 increases chain tension and wear. A
third caveat is that cross chaining is not practical and leaves
unusable gears and requires switching chainrings and some unknown
number of rear shifts to get to the right gear. You also have many
duplicated gears.

It may be fine for your style of riding, but just as good for everyone
it is not. Mechanical and practical disadvantages in many situations.
By the way, your math is also significantly off on your half step
calculations.

Old May 30th 12, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, May 30, 2012 1:01:34 AM UTC-5, velodancer wrote:
I disagree that it is "just as good'. My issue is that for touring
use, that typically requires double shifts in the rear.

No. I pretty much leave it on the middle ring and only shift the rear up and down one cog at a time. The cogs are spaced about 1-2-3 teeth apart so you only have to make one shift. I don't change between chainrings much so rarely shift the rear more than one cog. Of course with STI its very easy to make double shifts anyway. But for those who are afraid, this setup makes it minimal.

A second
caveat is that staying in your 33 increases chain tension and wear.

$25 every 3-4-5 years for a new chain does not concern me very much.

third caveat is that cross chaining is not practical and leaves
unusable gears and requires switching chainrings and some unknown
number of rear shifts to get to the right gear. You also have many
duplicated gears.

Cross chaining works very well with my bike. I use the 33x11 and it works fine. 33x12 is perfect. For those who fear cross chaining, there is another chainring that covers the cross chain gear and gives you some more high and low too. Adjusting your front derailleur correctly solves cross chaining noise. Duplicated gears don't concern me much. I have enough other worries in life. I also have a 10 speed cassette. 30 gears total. Lets pretend that gives 9 usable gears on the outer, 8 usable on the middle, and about 6 usable on the inner. If I can't find the right gear in that assortment, then I probably need to check into a mental institution.

It may be fine for your style of riding, but just as good for everyone
it is not. Mechanical and practical disadvantages in many situations.

No mechanical or practical disadvantages at all. I have refuted all of your foolish arguments. Shifting is simple and straightforward. Shift to whichever chainring matches the terrain. Outer for tailwind and downhill. Middle for most everything else. Inner for climbing. Then shift up and down the rear cassette one cog at a time to the right gear. Not too difficult.

By the way, your math is also significantly off on your half step
calculations.

48 and 45 chainrings. 3 difference. 3/45=6.7% 11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32 cassette. 2 difference between 12 and 14 cogs. 2/12=16.7%. 2 difference between 14 and 16 cogs. 2/14=14.3%. 2 difference between 16 and 18 cogs. 2/16=12.5%. 3 difference between 18 and 21 cogs. 3/18=16.7%. 3 difference between 21 and 24 cogs. 3/21=14.3%. 4 difference between 24 and 28 cogs. 4/24=16.7%. 4 difference between 28 and 32 cogs. 4/28=14.3%.

6.7% difference between chainrings is roughly about half the difference between cogs in percentage.