Rohloff Sprocket: Fifty Bucks???

Old April 5th 13, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Rohloff Sprocket: Fifty Bucks???

http://tinyurl.com/cxmnlbu

That's just bizarre.

OTOH, I guess somebody has to pay for all that vacation time...

Are there non-Rohloff alternatives?

I'm looking for a 17t.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old April 5th 13, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Martin Borsje[_9_]

After serious thinking (PeteCresswell) wrote :
http://tinyurl.com/cxmnlbu

That's just bizarre.

OTOH, I guess somebody has to pay for all that vacation time...

Are there non-Rohloff alternatives?

I'm looking for a 17t.

20 euro's:
http://www.bike-components.de/produc...B-500-14-.html

Old April 5th 13, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Martin Borsje[_9_]

(PeteCresswell) explained :
http://tinyurl.com/cxmnlbu

That's just bizarre.

OTOH, I guess somebody has to pay for all that vacation time...

Are there non-Rohloff alternatives?

I'm looking for a 17t.

And, b.t.w.: you can reverse the Rohloff sprocket to use the other side
of the teeths so actually doubles the lifetime

Old April 5th 13, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Ace

$50 is a high online price. $33.68 and $37.79:
http://www.bikesonline.com/rohloff-s...te-cog-17t.htm
http://compare.ebay.com/like/390564892338

On Friday, April 5, 2013 1:44:49 PM UTC-7, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Are there non-Rohloff alternatives?
I'm looking for a 17t.

You can't substitute a commodity-priced sprocket
intended for other applications because the thread
is oddball. There are Rohloff-compatible alternatives
but they aren't cheap either. Phil Wood makes them,
as does www.singlestar.de (titanium; 129 euros).

Tom Ace
Old April 6th 13, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 5 Apr, 21:44, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/cxmnlbu

That's just bizarre.

OTOH, I guess somebody has to pay for all that vacation time...

Are there non-Rohloff alternatives?

I'm looking for a 17t.
--
Pete Cresswell

IIRC Regina top screw-on sprockets, from the last bodies (America
type) fit this. I dunno though whether anything other than 13,14
or15 would have been made as 15 would typically be the s mallest
sprocket on a junior racer's freewheel. It is possible though, maybe
on an AX or BX block (good enough for most) The racing stuff was CX
(or America). Possibly about £11 or so for an AX or BX
freewheel. I've seen silly prices (£70+) asked for CX stuff, but it
is a fine racing freewheel which will never, I repeat never let you
down. Loose sprockets may be had, probably around £8 in today's
money, if you CAN find a seller. Don't be surprised though if they
want you to buy a box of the stuff.
Old April 6th 13, 01:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

costs rise as production numbers remain low as ownership expenses remain hi-see costs for further analysis.

I watched a man cry as he spoke of repairing his Audi's door lock mechanism.
Old April 6th 13, 02:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Am Freitag, 5. April 2013 22:44:49 UTC+2 schrieb (PeteCresswell):
http://tinyurl.com/cxmnlbu

In the US:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Rohloff-Speed...-/390564892338

Those Rohloff sprockets wear slowly and can be turned around. People circled the world on one Rohloff Sprocket! We 16 tooth sprocket so far lasted 20.000km and still is going strong.

Klaus
Old April 6th 13, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, April 5, 2013 10:10:30 PM UTC+1, Martin Borsje wrote:
After serious thinking (PeteCresswell) wrote :

http://tinyurl.com/cxmnlbu

That's just bizarre.

OTOH, I guess somebody has to pay for all that vacation time...

Are there non-Rohloff alternatives?

I'm looking for a 17t.

20 euro's:

http://www.bike-components.de/produc...-500-14-..html

Another vote for bike-components.de. I live in Ireland and have dealt with them for parts on several occasions. They're first-class dealers.

Andre Jute

PS I wouldn't fit any of the non-Rohloff alternatives. They are without exception much more expensive than the Rohloff item, and it is doubtful that they can be as good as the factory sprocket that routinely lasts 15,000 miles and can then be turned around and used on the other side. Effectively a Rohloff sprocket is a fit and forget item (if you've greased the thread thoroughly -- otherwise it might be fitted forever!). I must say, Pete, I'm tremendously impressed with you doing such a mileage that you've worn out a Rohloff sprocket.
Old April 7th 13, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Andre Jute:
Pete, I'm tremendously impressed with you doing such a mileage that you've worn out a Rohloff sprocket.

Not quite. One side had worn out quite a few years back. The guy at
Rohloff noticed it when I sent the hub back to have an oil leak fixed
and flipped it for me.

Now it's probably got more miles left in it that I do.

What I was going on about was going from the current 16t to a 17 in
order to get the gearing down a little using chain rings that I already
own. But it's clearly cheaper to buy another ring.
--
Pete Cresswell