The 10 commandments

Old May 25th 13, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default The 10 commandments

On May 24, 9:26 am, Duane wrote:
On 5/24/2013 12:21 PM, Dan O wrote:
On May 24, 9:10 am, wrote:
On 5/24/2013 11:59 AM, Dan O wrote:

On May 24, 8:53 am, Dan wrote:
On May 24, 8:48 am, Dan wrote:

On May 24, 7:51 am, wrote:

On 5/24/2013 10:35 AM, Dan O wrote:

snip

Lol, I know you don't like rules man but I don't think James is
intending you as a potential user of his commandments here.

What I don't like is being held to "expectations".

snip

Understand, I am aware of expectations and the importance of meeting
and exceeding them for success in life. But *sometime* I gotta be me
and get my kicks (know what I mean?), and for me that opportunity most
usually happens to be going to and from work. I try not to infringe
others peaceable completion of their lifeless transportation chore,
but don't count me into that scene.

Hmm. My commute is not a lifeless transportation chore. Don't assume
that people less outre than you are not enjoying themselves.

Then why the expectation to constrain my actions - to drag me down in
situations where I am simply doing my thing and asking nothing from
them in terms of accommodation - just not to have a cow because they
disaprove of my playful nonconformity. (I was *mostly* talking about
cagers, but it's even weirder when it comes from somebody else on a
bike.)

You're too sensitive dude. Not having a cow. Well not today. I guess
it depends on what you mean by accommodation.

I recognize a familiar pattern of misunderstanding going on here :-)

I'm not saying that *you're* having a cow.

It started out with the proposition that the bicyclist in traffic
should "be predictable". Be predictable to whom? The cagers, of
course. I'm talking about matching the cagers' expectations, and
*them* having a cow when I don't.

However, many people here *are* - and still others here have
vehemently in the past - suggested that I should be predictable, which
can only be taken to mean I should behave in a way that meets cager
expectations. Fortunately, the people here (at least in the present
discussion), acknowledge "it depends".

Moreover, _I_ acknowledge the importance of consideration. I
*consider* perceived and sensed expectations, weigh them into my
decisions, consider the effects of deviating from them, and often
override what would be my preference otherwise and instead follow the
course of action that fulfills them - (often) - but they won't rule my
life (and sometimes I am probably driven to choose the *opposite*
course of action just because "I'm a loner, Dottie - a rebel.")

Yes, I am too sensitive. Maybe there's a class that will harden me
the **** up :-)

Like I said, I doubt James had you in mind as a target audience when he
posted this question.

Yeah, I hope that I don't come off like... well...

Trevor had it pretty good, though. I think someone just starting out
(riding a bicycle on the roads with all the other modes of traffic -
mainly the one other mode, of course) should:

1) Grok the whole situational awareness thing.

2) Know the laws.

3) Know that it's not even remotely as dangerous as most people seem
to think.

4) Know that following the law will not make them safe.

5) Know how to tell when something's wrong with their bike.

6) Know that a helmet is what it is and nothing more.

7) Know that just about anything you haven't encountered before (and
plenty of what you already have) is a potential learning experience.

8) Know that passive reflectors are very effective _when aimed at the
light source_, i.e. car headlights. Get the best headlight you can
afford. Looking like an accident scene with flashing lights will get
attention but you just want to be acknowledged when it matters and not
necessarily the roving center of attention.

9) Know how to fix a flat tire at the side of the road.

10) Know the routes you've programmed yourself to use getting places
in your car? Those are probably the *worst* routes you can use on
your bike. The bike opens up a world of new and better options.
Explore them.
Old May 25th 13, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On May 24, 4:47 pm, Dan O wrote:

snip

I think someone just starting out
(riding a bicycle on the roads with all the other modes of traffic -
mainly the one other mode, of course) should:

1) Grok the whole situational awareness thing.

1a) Know your escape route (also the first rule of wildland
firefighting)

1b) Anything that could happen, might happen

1c) Use your ability to relate to others to be inside their head and
~predict their behavior

1d) Realize that some people are incomprehensible, and your
expectations of them will be necessarily more fuzzy than people you
can relate to, but learn as many of the unfathomable things they are
apt to do anyway, keeping in mind that they'll still surprise you

1e) Realize that many people will expect you to do what they consider
the worst possible thing, but then pretend to be aghast when you do

1f) Doors open

1g) All dogs think you look like an Antelope or something

1h) Truck drivers are generally more skilled as a group than drivers
of private cars, but can also have a special animosity for bicyclists.

1i) The laws of physics are immutable

1j) Know thyself

snip
Old May 25th 13, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_3_]

Dan O wrote:
On May 23, 7:21 pm, James wrote:
What commandments/rules would you offer to a novice who's just bought a
bike, to help them survive biking, particularly in the (sub)urban roads
landscape?

snip

etc.

I'm considering what might be a useful sheet of info for anyone who buys
a bike (or helmet in this country).

Suggestions welcome.

I would emphasize situational awareness. I think more important than
being predictable (whatever that is in any given circumstances) is
being able to predict, and knowing the limitations of same.

As for someone buying a helmet, I would advise them not to count on it
to save them, then loop back to #1 above.

Also, thou shalt take very good care of thine bike, and thine bike
will take comensurate good care of thou.

Yup, should have added situational awareness to my list. Note that your
predictability, visibility and legality help OTHER road users achieve THEIR
situational awareness, so there is a bit of duality going on there.
Old May 25th 13, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On May 24, 5:44 pm, Ralph Barone wrote:
Dan O wrote:
On May 23, 7:21 pm, James wrote:
[...]

I did notice that as I was thinking about the importance of predicting
what others may do; and I *do* always consider how what I'm about to
do might affect them in light of what I perceive (or imagine) to be
their expectations. But some people are incomprehensible and
unfathomable. Perhaps I am one.

It's just that sometimes I probably choose the course of action that I
specifically calculate will deny their appeasement. That's a
rebellion thing. I don't mean to be confrontational about it (unless
they started it), but I probably do need to work on not rubbing their
noses in their pathetic circumstances - the difficulties and
constraints of driving a car in traffic. That's a superiority thing -
turning the assumed sense of car superiority on its head for them.
Old May 25th 13, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On May 24, 8:53 am, Dan * wrote:
On May 24, 8:48 am, Dan * wrote:

On May 24, 7:51 am, * wrote:

[...]

1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

There are a few others but this alone should remind you that unless
there has been a contractual arrangement for you to behave in a
certain way, usually for something called employment of which you may
receive tokens in exchange for your labour value, then you have no
obligation to follow any regulations dreamed-up by the gang-masters,
even when those non-applicable regulations are colloquially called
"laws" by the policy officers.
If arrested, the correct answer is "I do not under-stand". Without
those bits of paper with your mark on it which show your agreement,
they can not lawfully arrest and detain you, unless you agree with
their POV or you under-stand.

3) *Know that it's not even remotely as dangerous as most people seem
to think.

4) *Know that following the law will not make them safe.

For good reason or reasonable excuse (if you want to play their game),
see law 1

5) *Know how to tell when something's wrong with their bike.

6) *Know that a helmet is what it is and nothing more.

Something to keep head warm in cold weather, to keep head dry in wet
weather, protective gear for combat or in reality a headress to
symbolise such protective gear. In the absence of inclement weather,
it is the latter which is subconsciously perceived by many A
fractured skull is not pleasant but it is more likely that one will be
taken down by a blow to the neck than to the head. The "bicycle
helmet" is thus next to worthless not only for regular cycling but
also for combat, of which it's image does provoke due to
confrontational suggestion.

7) *Know that just about anything you haven't encountered before (and
plenty of what you already have) is a potential learning experience.

8) *Know that passive reflectors are very effective _when aimed at the
light source_, i.e. car headlights. *Get the best headlight you can
afford. *Looking like an accident scene with flashing lights will get
attention but you just want to be acknowledged when it matters and not
necessarily the roving center of attention.

9) *Know how to fix a flat tire at the side of the road.

Practice is required and this should not be performed by an
accompanying rider, to save time, under normal conditions.

Old May 25th 13, 06:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On May 24, 7:59 pm, thirty-six wrote:
On May 25, 12:47 am, Dan O wrote:

snip

[...]

Absolutely. Damn straight.

I just say *know* the laws, because from them you can derive the
reasonable expectations vis a vis the spirit and intent.

With that in mind, tear it up.

snip
Old May 27th 13, 04:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Király

James wrote:
Suggestions welcome.

Never, ever ride in the door zone. I've never been hit by an opening
door, because I never ride in the door zone.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old May 27th 13, 05:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On May 26, 8:55 pm, (Király) wrote:
James wrote:
Suggestions welcome.

Never, ever ride in the door zone. I've never been hit by an opening
door, because I never ride in the door zone.

Good advice (all good advice), but I hesitate to deal in absolutes,
and have taken a ~calculated risk now and then (for some tradeoff
reason or other), and my luck has held (in this regard).

Old May 27th 13, 05:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On May 26, 9:55 pm, Dan O wrote:
On May 26, 8:55 pm, (Király) wrote:

James wrote:
Suggestions welcome.

Never, ever ride in the door zone. I've never been hit by an opening
door, because I never ride in the door zone.

Good advice (all good advice), but I hesitate to deal in absolutes,

.... especially absolute prohibitions -