The Science Behind the Bike: What makes an Olympic cycling champion?

Old May 31st 13, 01:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default The Science Behind the Bike: What makes an Olympic cycling champion?

The Science Behind the Bike: What makes an Olympic cycling champion?

http://www8.open.ac.uk/choose/ou/eng...enq44prp_eml12

Enjoy.

Andre Jute
Old May 31st 13, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, May 31, 2013 1:50:47 PM UTC+1, Andre Jute wrote:
The Science Behind the Bike: What makes an Olympic cycling champion?

http://www8.open.ac.uk/choose/ou/eng...enq44prp_eml12

Enjoy.

Andre Jute

Or you could go directly onto this page:
Track 1: The History of the Hour Record
http://www.open.edu/openlearn/scienc...ehind-the-bike

Andre Jute
Old June 1st 13, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, May 31, 2013 6:08:49 PM UTC+1, Andre Jute wrote:
On Friday, May 31, 2013 1:50:47 PM UTC+1, Andre Jute wrote:

The Science Behind the Bike: What makes an Olympic cycling champion?

http://www8.open.ac.uk/choose/ou/eng...enq44prp_eml12

Enjoy.

Andre Jute

Or you could go directly onto this page:

Track 1: The History of the Hour Record

http://www.open.edu/openlearn/scienc...ehind-the-bike

Andre Jute

Chris Boardman has been my cycling hero since I saw him take that amazing pursuit for his Olympic victory, mano a mano.

I love the bit in the video where the Cervelo frame designer says, about the UCI outlawing Obree's praying mantis position on the bike, "Obree is everything that is right with this sport."

But then I would. I've long said that Obree's major detractors, the UCI, have brought everything that is wrong in the sport on their own heads by head-in-the-sand ostrich management, and complicity verging on the criminal in perverse practices like doping.

Andre Jute
Old June 1st 13, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

http://www8.open.ac.uk/choose/ou/eng...ML=enq44p&MEDI...

http://www.open.edu/openlearn/scienc...engineering-an...

Andre Jute

Chris Boardman has been my cycling hero since I saw him take that amazing pursuit for his Olympic victory, mano a mano.

I love the bit in the video where the Cervelo frame designer says, about the UCI outlawing Obree's praying mantis position on the bike, "Obree is everything that is right with this sport."

But then I would. I've long said that Obree's major detractors, the UCI, have brought everything that is wrong in the sport on their own heads by head-in-the-sand ostrich management, and complicity verging on the criminal in perverse practices like doping.

I like the idea of Graham because he's certified. I think the movie
is on Netflix - gotta take the time.

"But you
Why you wanna give me the run-around
Is it a sure-fire way to speed things up
When all it does is slow me down"
Old June 2nd 13, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Bike Mag ran an ineresting Obree story.

Obree sports PED side effects ?
Old June 2nd 13, 05:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Jun 1, 4:45 pm, datakoll wrote:
Bike Mag ran an ineresting Obree story.

I don't know much about him (even seem to have misspelled his name
earlier), but am intrigued by someone who beats the world and also
happens to have severe bipolar disorder.

"This was blitzkrieg. I'm going in there. Let me do it." ... and...
"That's what the difference was. Purely mental state."

Obree sports PED side effects ?

"I still feel I was robbed of part of my career. I was signed up to
ride in the prologue of the Tour back in 1995, but it was made very
obvious to me I would have to take drugs. I said no, no way, and I was
sacked by my team. So there I was, 11 years later, sitting there
waiting for the Tour cyclists to come by, and something welled up in
me. I feel I was robbed by a lot of these *******s taking drugs. I
also hate the way that people think anyone who has ever achieved
anything on a bike must have been taking drugs. I was surprised how
resentful I felt when I was in Paris. It had obviously been simmering
away in there for years. That's something new I'll have to talk to my
therapist about."

"If a rider has that attitude, it's best to stop working together as
soon as possible. We paid for his tickets [to fly from Glasgow to
Geneva] and he didn't even turn up, didn't even phone to explain why
he was not coming."

Shades of Keith Moon, but with the attitude re; drugs seemingly
reversed.