Calling the Police to Report Vehicles Parked in the Bike Lane

Old March 20th 15, 04:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

Default Calling the Police to Report Vehicles Parked in the Bike Lane

On 3/18/2015 1:02 PM, Ian Field wrote:

"sms" wrote in message
On 3/17/2015 2:40 PM, Ian Field wrote:

"sms" wrote in message
Whether I'm riding or driving or even walking, when I see a vehicle
parked in the bike lane I call the non-emergency police number
(programmed into my phone for all the local cities). Since the police
are rather bored in many Silicon Valley cities, they will always send
someone out to ticket the vehicle. I called yesterday and the sheriff
showed up in less than five minutes with lights flashing. I expect
that this may make it into the local weekly newspaper's crime report.

In the UK; the police generally CBA about most things - and that would
be even further down their list.

Its not difficult to trim the ends off handlebar grips to expose the
rough ends of the handlebar steel tube.

In San Francisco, Oakland, or San Jose it would be hopeless to expect
the police to respond to something like this but in the smaller cities
the police are good about coming out if they have nothing more urgent.

An anecdote floting around the internet:- a householder reported a
burglar in the act of ransacking his shed, the police told him "no
officers available". After pausing a while, the house holder called
again and reported he'd shot and killed the burglar.

Within minutes, the property was surrounded by police cars with lights &
sirens blazing, they caught the burglar red handed and promptly arrested
him. The police chief demanded to know of the householder; "I thought
you said you'd shot and killed the burglar" - the householder replied;
"I thought you said you didn't have any officers available".

Thanks, I was gonna post that but couldn't quite get it right.

-Mark
Old March 20th 15, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"sms" wrote in message
[...]

In the UK - the householder would be arrested and charged with wasting
police time and/or whatever our equivalent is of filing a false report.

Probably do time for that as well!