Trucks parking in bicycle lanes

Old December 14th 16, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
W. Wesley Groleau

Default Trucks parking in bicycle lanes

On 12-13-2016 15:50, sms wrote:
As someone else wrote, every vehicle has a button that creates a parking
space wherever necessary, it's the button with the triangle on it on the
dash.

That was sarcasm directed at the people who think the law doesn't apply
if they blink their lights.

--
Wes Groleau
Old December 14th 16, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 3:18:39 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 8:38:31 AM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 8:17:08 PM UTC-5, sms wrote:
http://oi68.tinypic.com/23kw8d3.jpg

I talked to the truck driver who was upset that I took a picture of his
truck and calmly explained to him that parking illegally in a bicycle
lane that is signed "No Stopping" was endangering cyclists like the one
in the picture. He was not happy about this explanation and began
verbally abusing me. I kept my cool. It's a terribly designed shopping
center and it's hard to do deliveries so trucks do this all the time.

I sent the photo to the sheriff's captain and our Public Works director
(a cyclist). I guess because I take office tomorrow I have a little more
influence now and got responses from both very quickly. They are going
to talk to the business owners and increase enforcement, and next year
they are going to begin working on a physical barrier which is really
the only practical solution since you can't expect the police to
constantly be monitoring the situation.

Traffic calming is one of my big pet peeves (of which I have a great many).

---

If/when I encounter a vehicle stopped in a bike lane or curbside traffic lane, I slow down, check behind me, signal, then merge left into the next lane and ride around the obstructing vehicle and don't give the vehicle much more thought. Why is it so hard for some to just bypass an obstacle without having to go to social media and complain about said object?

Cheers

Because you would have to be polite and understanding. sms is the same sort of person that speeds up to cut off someone entering the freeway because he believes that it is HIS road.

gnaw SMS is a silicone Valley dork ... and he's literate but fat
Old December 14th 16, 02:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 4:52:10 PM UTC-5, sms wrote:
On 12/13/2016 8:38 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

snip

If/when I encounter a vehicle stopped in a bike lane or curbside traffic lane, I slow down, check behind me, signal, then merge left into the next lane and ride around the obstructing vehicle and don't give the vehicle much more thought. Why is it so hard for some to just bypass an obstacle without having to go to social media and complain about said object?

Vehicles are not supposed to stop in bicycle lanes. The lanes in this
case are not only "No Parking" they are "No Stopping."

While you do the proper thing with checking for traffic and signaling,
this route is along a major bike to school route and is full of less
experienced cyclists.

Drivers need to learn how to understand signs and even more important,
just how to be polite to cyclists by not violating these laws. The roads
do not belong to these delivery drivers, they belong to all road users.
It is easy for these drivers to park in the proper loading and unloading
zones, and in fact most of them do. It's just a few inconsiderate jerks
that think that they have the right to endanger other road users.

As someone else wrote, every vehicle has a button that creates a parking
space wherever necessary, it's the button with the triangle on it on the
dash.

---

Beria Lives
Old December 14th 16, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 1:52:10 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
[...]

When I ride over to Palo Alto and decide to take the peninsula back I ride on El Camino Real. There are no bike lanes there. While the traffic on there as you know is dangerous they are polite as necessary to me. I feel the same requirement to be polite to the drivers whenever possible.

What I see from you is bitching and complaining as if you're the only one with any rights. I suggest you grow up. Or is this nothing more than it worries you to move out into traffic and take a lane? That is scary in some cases but we can't have ideal circumstances all the time. I don't like taking the only lane even for the short time necessary to pass a truck like that in an area where traffic travels at far over the speed limit. We can be absolutely certain that the cops in California will only issue traffic tickets as a last and final resort.
Old December 14th 16, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 12/13/2016 4:27 PM, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 12-13-2016 15:50, sms wrote:
As someone else wrote, every vehicle has a button that creates a parking
space wherever necessary, it's the button with the triangle on it on the
dash.

That was sarcasm directed at the people who think the law doesn't apply
if they blink their lights.

Except that it's actually true. Does a day go by when you don't see
people doing this?

---

Old December 14th 16, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Except that it's actually true. Does a day go by when you don't see
people doing this?

never see blinking lights, rarely. I am the only driver in SWFL flashed lights to signal pass doahn pass Yugo first n tighten it up asshole I'm comin by .....