Seems a lot of people don't know the difference between Bi, Tri and Quad

Old December 23rd 16, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Default Seems a lot of people don't know the difference between Bi, Triand Quad

goo.gl/nEkuPE
Old December 23rd 16, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, December 23, 2016 at 2:52:37 PM UTC-8, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
goo.gl/nEkuPE

You understand what those charts mean? That the high summer weather highs are about 68 degrees fahrenheit. The high summer midday lows can be about 54 degrees. At less than 56 degrees F. I don't have cycling cloths that are comfortable. You get covered with sweat climbing and it freezes when descending.

Does that seem too warm for you?

Winter hovers around freezing as the average temperature. This discounts the fact that it rains on the average of at least 10 days a month IN THE SUMMER.

In the winter there are only 8 hours of light and only 5 of that is clear daylight.

Does ANY of this give you some idea of why I said that cycling is not going to become overly popular?
Old December 23rd 16, 11:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 8:57:33 AM UTC-8, Radey Shouman wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

On 12/21/2016 12:14 AM, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 22:57:03 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
On 12/20/2016 10:16 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
A bicycling topic in a bicycling newsgroup. WoW! Will wonders never
cease?

Looking at this site: http://www.copenhagencyclechic.com/ I see that
many people do not know the difference between a Bi-cycle, a
Tri-cycle and/or a Quad-cycle. So many times I read artcile online or
in magazines tha are supposedly about a bicycle when in reality they
are about a tricycle or a quadcycle.

Some government documents and research papers use the term
"pedalcycle."
It works, but certainly isn't euphonious or poetic.

Perhaps even weirder, at least one state legally defines "bicycle" to
include pedal-things with 2, 3 or 4 wheels. The reason? Most laws
regarding pedal-things were written using the term "bicycle." When
things like recumbent trikes began to appear, it was judged easier to
accept them under the legal definition of "bicycle" than to scour all
the legal code to insert "tricycle" (and perhaps "quadricycle") in
every slot.

A little further down the page I linkedto above is a nice DIY cargo
quadcycle.

I note that very few people in the photos seem to be smiling. Perhaps
winter cycling in Copenhagen isn't a paradise experience.

Denmark is at, what, the 50th parallel or so? Maybe 55th? In the
winter that means short days, cold weather, damp sea winds. Brrr.
Despite that, a huge percentage of Copenhageners ride their bikes to get
where they are going year 'round. But it's tranportation, not for
amusement like most of us Americans, because it's fast and convenient.
Extensive infrastructure for bikes is in place.

Owning and operating a car in Denmark is really expensive- the
registration tax for a new car is 105% of the value of the car up to
something like 85,000 Kroner (US$ 11,900) and 180% of the value above
that. Then there is an annual fee that depends on fuel type and
mileage, ranging from 620 Kr to nearly 23,000 Kr (gasoline) and
240-32,000 Kr (diesel). Fuel is 2-3 times what it costs in the US.
FWIW the Krone is worth about US$0.14. Imagine the howls of anguish if
the US tried to impose taxes like that! The Danes I have met tell me
they buy a car once and pay for it twice (sounds to me like they pay for
it about three times).

No wonder Danes ride bikes!

But Joerg says all that doesn't matter. He says all the bicycling is
due to the bike lanes. ;-)

I agree that the arrow of causality there is pointing the other way --
if large numbers of ordinary people, of ordinary means (not poor, and
not athletes) bicycle, for whatever reason, then they will demand, and
get, bicyling facilities.

--

Yes, and often bad ones. We are now getting sidewalk MUPs on roads that had usable shoulders. They are snow and garbage collectors that cannot be swept. The traffic lanes are now much narrower which makes taking the lane more dangerous. Most recently: http://www.milwaukieoregon.gov/engin...multi-use-path A perfectly usable, fast road is now a f****** nightmare MUP (going south) with both-direction bicycle traffic on a sidewalk.. What are these people smoking? I've ridden that road for over 30 years with zero problems.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old December 24th 16, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
[...]

We agree this is a not-positive trend. And they pop up just
everywhere, yecchh.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 24th 16, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:
[...]

That's not really responsive to my point, since you don't have large
numbers of ordinary people bicycling. I believe people in Amsterdam or
Copenhagen are generally happier with the facilities that they get.

cannot be swept. The traffic lanes are now much narrower which makes
taking the lane more dangerous. Most recently:
http://www.milwaukieoregon.gov/engin...multi-use-path
A perfectly usable, fast road is now a f****** nightmare MUP (going
south) with both-direction bicycle traffic on a sidewalk. What are
these people smoking? I've ridden that road for over 30 years with
zero problems.

-- Jay Beattie.

European Quad Jeff Grippe Recumbent Biking 2 January 29th 07 04:37 PM
Quad pain terrybigwheel Unicycling 15 May 23rd 06 08:37 AM
170's to 150's = not much difference - 150's to 127's = whoa!...big difference! babyivan Unicycling 11 November 15th 05 07:27 PM
For Trade 2004 WindCheetah Supersport for Greenspeed, Mountain Quad, or other high end trike / quad Jeff Grippe Recumbent Biking 0 June 5th 05 01:48 PM
quad work dreaded General 2 August 22nd 04 06:00 AM