Looking for a decent Cruiser Bicycle, Mixte frame

Old September 2nd 08, 06:33 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Default Looking for a decent Cruiser Bicycle, Mixte frame

I know nothing about cruiser style bicycles, only having seen them at
places like Target.

Are there any good quality, multi-speed cruisers (3 speed or 7 speed)?

Maybe no such thing exists.
Old September 2nd 08, 09:20 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc

On Sep 2, 10:33*am, SMS wrote:
I know nothing about cruiser style bicycles, only having seen them at
places like Target.

Are there any good quality, multi-speed cruisers (3 speed or 7 speed)?

Maybe no such thing exists.

There are tons! Trek, Breezer, Electra... go to REI or a bike shop
and ask. If they don't have any in stock, they should at least be
able to show you a catalog containing some.

Jenn
Old September 2nd 08, 10:29 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc

On Sep 2, 12:33*pm, SMS wrote:
I know nothing about cruiser style bicycles, only having seen them at
places like Target.

Are there any good quality, multi-speed cruisers (3 speed or 7 speed)?

Maybe no such thing exists.

I just bought my wife a Giant Suede, and she loves it!

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...le/1272/29315/
Old September 3rd 08, 12:10 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

wrote:
On Sep 2, 10:33 am, SMS wrote:
I know nothing about cruiser style bicycles, only having seen them at
places like Target.

Are there any good quality, multi-speed cruisers (3 speed or 7 speed)?

Maybe no such thing exists.

There are tons! Trek, Breezer, Electra... go to REI or a bike shop
and ask. If they don't have any in stock, they should at least be
able to show you a catalog containing some.

The Electra Townies have received good reviews, and are available with
single-speed, 3 and 8-speed internally geared, and 7 and 21-speed
derailer geared drive-trains: http://www.electrabike.com/townie/.

J&B/Sun makes a full line of cruisers and a crank-forward upright in
their Taiwanese factory, and distributes them to most LBS's in the US.
These are usually entry level LBS to somewhat better quality, and are
priced accordingly: http://www.sunbicycles.com/sun/index.html.

At a much higher price, quality and refinement level (plus being made by
Kansans) are the RANS crank-forward bikes: http://www.ransbikes.com/.

“Mary had a little lamb / And when she saw it sicken /
She shipped it off to Packingtown / And now it’s labeled chicken.”
Old September 3rd 08, 12:23 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

wrote:
On Sep 2, 12:33 pm, SMS wrote:
I know nothing about cruiser style bicycles, only having seen them at
places like Target.

Are there any good quality, multi-speed cruisers (3 speed or 7 speed)?

Maybe no such thing exists.

I just bought my wife a Giant Suede, and she loves it!

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...le/1272/29315/

What is it with automatic transmissions on so many cruisers? I went to
Performance and I saw this. They have a dynamo in the front hub not for
a light, but to run the shifter.
Old September 3rd 08, 12:52 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Kunich

"SMS" wrote in message
news
wrote:
On Sep 2, 12:33 pm, SMS wrote:
I know nothing about cruiser style bicycles, only having seen them at
places like Target.

Are there any good quality, multi-speed cruisers (3 speed or 7 speed)?

Maybe no such thing exists.

I just bought my wife a Giant Suede, and she loves it!

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...le/1272/29315/

What is it with automatic transmissions on so many cruisers? I went to
Performance and I saw this. They have a dynamo in the front hub not for a
light, but to run the shifter.

They believe you're too stupid to operate a 3-speed.

Old September 3rd 08, 03:40 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
" writes:
On Sep 2, 10:33*am, SMS wrote:
I know nothing about cruiser style bicycles, only having seen them at
places like Target.

Are there any good quality, multi-speed cruisers (3 speed or 7 speed)?

Maybe no such thing exists.

There are tons! Trek, Breezer, Electra... go to REI or a bike shop
and ask. If they don't have any in stock, they should at least be
able to show you a catalog containing some.

The term: "cruiser bicycle" connotes to me fat-whitewall-tired
beach bombers, much more than what is coming to be known as
"city bikes."

I wouldn't be surprised if Nirve (http://www.nirve.com)
mfg's more up-market cruiser style bikes, since they also
proffer other stylish configs, such as factory choppers.

The mixte thing might be a stumbling block. I know it's
a popular config for /tandem/ cruisers, but I dunno about
one-seaters. And beach bombers generally tend to be one-gear,
coaster-brake units.

I tried to navigate what bizrate.com has to produce on the
topic, but it got too gnarly. I'm tired from a hard day's
work and I've gotta go to bed so I can get up at 3:30 AM.
But there's a bunch of cruiser stuff in there. A URL to
John Deere caught my eye, but I didn't pursue it. There
were also some Nexus links.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old September 3rd 08, 01:30 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
cmcanulty

I know of no currently made mixte frames which is different from a
woman's frame. Ebay usually has a few though.
Old September 3rd 08, 06:14 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

cmcanulty wrote:
I know of no currently made mixte frames which is different from a
woman's frame. Ebay usually has a few though.

Yeah, my mistake.

This is a bike for my wife, who likes the upgright position, fenders,
and chainguard, she sees on the cruisers. She doesn't need the fat
tires. Her typical daily ride is 1 mile each way to work. However I'd
like something that is also suitable for longer casual rides, and that
has at least 7 speed internal or external gearing. Chain guard is
no-compromise. If she insists on the cruiser style handlebars I can do
something in that regard.

So far I've found:

Specialized Globe City 6 Wmn IG8 $910
Kettler Ibiza $550
Biria TC-Superlight 8 $840
Huffy Magellan $200
Old September 3rd 08, 06:35 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

cmcanulty wrote:
I know of no currently made mixte frames which is different from a
woman's frame. Ebay usually has a few though.

Rivendell makes a mixte frame:
http://www.rivbike.com/products/list/bicycle_models#product=50-243.

VERY pricey, however.